collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012  (Read 9716 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
Quote from: Arin;83174
That is, if I can figure out what time it actually starts in my time zone! (Gods, I really should have continued with math classes.)

I usually save this for right before Up All Night begins, but here's a link for the sunrise/sunset times for this month in Sydney:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-13&day=1&n=240

(I have no idea if you're in Sydney, but it gives you a basic idea, and you can adjust accordingly for wherever you are...or better yet, plug your location into the site for more precise results.)

It's up to you, but as a southern hemisphere person basking in your Longest Day, you might have more fun tormenting those of us half a globe away with how awesome your day is, compared to those of us suffering through the cold, dark night! For example, if you check in to the Cauldron's "Up All Night" thread beginning at 9 AM your time on Sat., December 22, that'd be 5 PM for the U.S. Eastern time zone (-16 hours from Sydney)--for me in NYC, my Longest Night will have just begun, and it will already be well underway for Cauldronites in Europe.

There should be plenty of chatter by then!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:50 am »
Quote from: Altair;81216

And so, with Randall graciously offering to host us, "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" was born.

Only one week to go before our journey into darkness (in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway)! Apocalypse soon!

(In case you can't tell, I'm getting excited)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:01 am »
Quote from: Altair;84716
Only one week to go before our journey into darkness (in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway)! Apocalypse soon!

Well, I'm not going to be able to stay up all night (Have family dinner at noon the next day, 2.5 hours away.) but I will certainly be dropping in during the times I am awake.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;84741
Well, I'm not going to be able to stay up all night (Have family dinner at noon the next day, 2.5 hours away.) but I will certainly be dropping in during the times I am awake.

Excellent, FF.

I'm amazed at how dark it is already. When I stepped out for my usual run at 6:30, it was still full-on nighttime, with only the slightest hint of dawn on the eastern horizon.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81564
Anyway, I'll probably be popping in and out of the thread as and when I can, though I'm not sure if I can stay up all night. I'll be at a friend's place for their End of the World Party, and the next morning we're having pancakes after the end of the world. So, not sure how late we'll be up, but I'll try for sunrise! (Also not sure how often I'll be able to disappear with my computer. More likely I'll be following along and posting on my Android.)

Scratch that. Grumpy-Cylon will no longer be at the End of the World Party, because said End of the World Party has expanded from "a few close friends" to "EVERYONE IN NANAIMO AND SOME PEOPLE FROM VANCOUVER AS WELL" and Grumpy-Cylon does not like that many people at zir parties.

Social anxiety is making me not go.

That said, I'm not sure if I will be near a computer for part of the night, or all of it; I may be going to Fringe Solstice, which is out at Coyote Creek or something. May not even have cell service, though if I do I'll at least be checking the thread via tapatalk.

However, if I get to do my first choice for Solstice, which is staying at home or at the Ogre's and sitting on my comp all night while eating lots of food, then you shall see me in chat.

*waves arms* It's a myyyyyyyysssteeerrrryyyyyyyyyy till then!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Norse/Slavic Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:57 pm »
Quote from: Altair;83323
I usually save this for right before Up All Night begins, but here's a link for the sunrise/sunset times for this month in Sydney:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-13&day=1&n=240

(I have no idea if you're in Sydney, but it gives you a basic idea, and you can adjust accordingly for wherever you are...or better yet, plug your location into the site for more precise results.)

It's up to you, but as a southern hemisphere person basking in your Longest Day, you might have more fun tormenting those of us half a globe away with how awesome your day is, compared to those of us suffering through the cold, dark night! For example, if you check in to the Cauldron's "Up All Night" thread beginning at 9 AM your time on Sat., December 22, that'd be 5 PM for the U.S. Eastern time zone (-16 hours from Sydney)--for me in NYC, my Longest Night will have just begun, and it will already be well underway for Cauldronites in Europe.

There should be plenty of chatter by then!

Ah, alright! Thanks everyone for clarifying. I might do that, then, since I just moved into a new place that doesn't have internet yet. But if I log in during the day I can use an internet café or something. Cool!
Or warm, rather, since it's going to be about 22 degrees C/71 degrees F on that day. And for what it's worth, I dislike hot weather, and 22 is warm by my standards (especially with the sunlight), so my day won't be exceedingly awesome, don't envy Australia too much, y'all :) I'd much rather it were winter right now. Darn Southern Hemisphere. :(

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2012, 03:01:39 pm »
Quote from: Altair;84716

OK, with the end of the world only a few hours away, I'm getting prepared for the event. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »
Quote from: Morag;84763
Scratch that. Grumpy-Cylon will no longer be at the End of the World Party, because said End of the World Party has expanded from "a few close friends" to "EVERYONE IN NANAIMO AND SOME PEOPLE FROM VANCOUVER AS WELL" and Grumpy-Cylon does not like that many people at zir parties.

My sister was complaining of the very same thing about her party.  She invited 28 people thinking probably half would show, but it appears everyone is looking for an end of the world party they don't have to throw themselves.  ;)

Also, my husband finally caught the cold from hell (I had it last week) and won't be coming with me to PDX, meaning I won't have his laptop or (probably) internet access tomorrow night.  If I don't see you, enjoy the end of the world Solstice without me!

Brina

Tags: