collapse

Author Topic: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012  (Read 5888 times)

Morag

• Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or they/them
Re: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:19 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;82695
[video=youtube;njr3aFpTMyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njr3aFpTMyQ&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Brina

Almost completely accurate portrayal of what happens when one watches BSG for the first time. About 99%. They got the length of the first episode wrong, though (it's three hours, not 45 minutes -- first episode/pilot is the miniseries).

Never saw the full video of that before -- only saw the first part. Loved seeing James Callis and Edward James Olmos on it! That was fantastic.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;82737
I think I may do this with J. We've watched the series but somehow I ended up not watching the last five or so episodes and he did.

Soooo I have no idea how it ends. :eek:

I really liked it and so did a lot of my friends, but I know a lot of people were disappointed. And that's all I'm going to say. Because spoilers.

So yes I totally think you should watch the last five eps. I will try to convince my friends at the party to spend part of the night watching the miniseries at least. The people hosting the party are major BSG fans (we all have character nicknames -- yes I am Starbuck, I know, we all saw that one coming), but I'm not sure if everyone who's going to be there is. Which may mean we get to induct people into the cult circle of friendship.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;82706
I wasn't around for the bitter end.  I passed ou..er...fell asleep.

Brina

I went and looked. It was me and Altair watching "Hush"

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:49 pm »
Quote from: Tana;82709
You had me all at 'Buffy'.
We could do a quote game or a trivia quiz or something.

I'm sooo in.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:37 pm »
Quote from: Morag;82738
Almost completely accurate portrayal of what happens when one watches BSG for the first time. About 99%. They got the length of the first episode wrong, though (it's three hours, not 45 minutes -- first episode/pilot is the miniseries).

I suppose this is a bad time to admit I've never seen it, huh?

Brina

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 12:16:29 am »
Quote from: yewberry;82747
I suppose this is a bad time to admit I've never seen it, huh?

Brina

I haven't either. I tried watching the miniseries and just couldn't get into it. I keep intending to try again and just haven't gotten around to it.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:45 am »
Quote from: Catherine;82742
I went and looked. It was me and Altair watching "Hush"

That's right! I'd forgotten that. I think it just happened to come on some cable channel as a rerun late that night...not that I have a complete DVD set of Buffy that I could just pop in whenever I want...no, not me...

I'd point out that, considering how many hellmouth world apocalypses the Scooby gang averted, there are plenty of Buffy eps that are just as appropriate as BSG for our non-theme.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 06:53:08 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;82737
I think I may do this with J. We've watched the series but somehow I ended up not watching the last five or so episodes and he did.

Soooo I have no idea how it ends. :eek:

IMHO, you're better off that way. I found the whole series fantastic...until about the last few eps. It's not that they were wretched, but I found them disappointing.

But it doesn't ruin the series the way the absolutely awful, pointless, meaningless, insulting last few eps of Lost render that entire series unwatchable in retrospect.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:36 am »
Quote from: Altair;82764
IMHO, you're better off that way. I found the whole series fantastic...until about the last few eps. It's not that they were wretched, but I found them disappointing.

But it doesn't ruin the series the way the absolutely awful, pointless, meaningless, insulting last few eps of Lost render that entire series unwatchable in retrospect.

Now y'all have me worried! I thought I had been through the worst when watching the (pre-Extended Cut DLC version) ending of Mass Effect 3. I have heard of the wtf-ery of the ending of BSG before from someone else I knew who was into it. I can't remember J's reaction to the ending, though...
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;82774
I have heard of the wtf-ery of the ending of BSG before from someone else I knew who was into it.

I'm going to go on record and say that I thought the ending of BSG was brilliant if not flawless. So who knows.

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;81691
If I've got Vitkyng's reference right, it's the Anglo-Saxon Modraniht, if you want to know more about the term. :)

Not just Anglo-Saxon, but you got it.  :)

Morag

• Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 04:56:27 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;82784
I'm going to go on record and say that I thought the ending of BSG was brilliant if not flawless. So who knows.

*nods* It was very satisfying to me. I wouldn't say it's flawless, but brilliant? Oh yes.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
-Darkhawk

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Heathenry
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »
Quote from: Altair;81216
What, you might ask, is this "all-night technopagan" thing he's talking about??

It's an annual tradition here at the Cauldron; it started when a bunch of us realized that we like to pass the December solstice--for the northern hemisphere, it's the winter solstice and therefore the longest night of the year--by staying awake all night long. (Or trying to stay awake all night long!) We thought: Why not use the magic of the Internet to connect us into one global pagan party for the night, and stay up together?

And so, with Randall graciously offering to host us, "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" was born.

It's really simple: A dedicated thread will start here in "Holidays and Festivals" right before nightfall on the night of the solstice, to which everyone is welcome to come and go and contribute as they please. Some of us go the distance for an all-nighter; some people drop in just for part of the night; some in the southern hemisphere make us envious with tales of the warmth and daylight they're basking in (since it's they're summer solstice)...just about anything goes (within the usual board rules, of course).

This year, the solstice occurs at about 11:12 AM Universal Time on December 21, so we'll be celebrating that night, beginning at nightfall on Friday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012" thread to appear right around then.

We usually choose a "non-theme": something to serve as a springboard to get ideas going. (For example, I think the non-theme “Sharing Food Around the E-Campfire” a few years back yielded the now infamous chocolate mug cake recipe that has become an Up All Night staple.) Non-themes can be freely ignored, hence the "non".

This year's non-theme, in honor of the Mayan calendar's final day (December 21, 2012--which some have taken as an expiration date for the planet), is "Apocalypse Now!" Interpret that any way you like. Start gathering your apocalyptic visions or, if you prefer, your best ideas for the new era about to dawn, and share them as we keep vigil to see if the world really ends. ;) (At least you won’t be caught napping if it does!)

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest here:
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?2186-Up-All-Night-A-Technopagan-Winter-Solstice-2011

(Keep in mind that that's only part of the night's buzz, as there's also usually a MUX chat here that night, where some of the best chatter happens.)

So...who's up for it this year?

I'm keen! I will try to stay up the whole night, and probably fail, but I'll at least make an appearance.

That is, if I can figure out what time it actually starts in my time zone! (Gods, I really should have continued with math classes.)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:07 am »
Quote from: Arin;83174

That is, if I can figure out what time it actually starts in my time zone! (Gods, I really should have continued with math classes.)

It starts whatever time the sun sets where you are. Or, since you are in the southern hemisphere, maybe you'd rather do an "Out All Day Summer Solstice" celebration. There is a thread about that around somewhere, to which I can not find. :(

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2012, 04:00:39 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;83234
It starts whatever time the sun sets where you are. Or, since you are in the southern hemisphere, maybe you'd rather do an "Out All Day Summer Solstice" celebration. There is a thread about that around somewhere, to which I can not find. :(

I suspect I had a hand in that thread, seeing as I'm a major "Out All Day" summer solstice guy (even more so than an "Up All Night" winter solstice fellow). It's a "get out and smell the roses" kind of day, dawn to dusk, and I absolutely love it every year.

I generally don't keep in electronic contact on that day, however. The point is to take things slower, savor life at its fullest, engage the world with one's senses; pen and paper is allowed, but an electronic umbilical cord--where I'm focused on phosphors instead of the great outdoors--would defeat the purpose.

(As opposed to the winter solstice, when the nighttime e-gabfest has become a big part of the experience for me.)

Tags: