collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012  (Read 5983 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
Quote from: Altair;81216
This year's non-theme, in honor of the Mayan calendar's final day (December 21, 2012--which some have taken as an expiration date for the planet), is "Apocalypse Now!" Interpret that any way you like. Start gathering your apocalyptic visions or, if you prefer, your best ideas for the new era about to dawn, and share them as we keep vigil to see if the world really ends. ;) (At least you won’t be caught napping if it does!)

So...who's up for it this year?

I am loving our non-theme! I will definitely be there this year, and in MUX. I've got two chocolate chip cookie recipes to share- one's a microwave mug cookie (which I swiped from Star) and the other is an egg-free cookie dough (which I swiped from tumblr).

I can't believe another year is almost gone!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 08:36:38 pm »
Quote from: Juni;81287
I am loving our non-theme! I will definitely be there this year, and in MUX. I've got two chocolate chip cookie recipes to share- one's a microwave mug cookie (which I swiped from Star) and the other is an egg-free cookie dough (which I swiped from tumblr).

I did this last year and it was literally my first time doing it because I have converted shortly before this. I just realized it been over a year since my conversion. Well to me I feel like I'm in the conversion process so when I started. Anyways I very been looking forward to it again this year.
R03e

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
What, you might ask, is this "all-night technopagan" thing he's talking about??

It's an annual tradition here at the Cauldron; it started when a bunch of us realized that we like to pass the December solstice--for the northern hemisphere, it's the winter solstice and therefore the longest night of the year--by staying awake all night long. (Or trying to stay awake all night long!) We thought: Why not use the magic of the Internet to connect us into one global pagan party for the night, and stay up together?

And so, with Randall graciously offering to host us, "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" was born.

It's really simple: A dedicated thread will start here in "Holidays and Festivals" right before nightfall on the night of the solstice, to which everyone is welcome to come and go and contribute as they please. Some of us go the distance for an all-nighter; some people drop in just for part of the night; some in the southern hemisphere make us envious with tales of the warmth and daylight they're basking in (since it's they're summer solstice)...just about anything goes (within the usual board rules, of course).

This year, the solstice occurs at about 11:12 AM Universal Time on December 21, so we'll be celebrating that night, beginning at nightfall on Friday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012" thread to appear right around then.

We usually choose a "non-theme": something to serve as a springboard to get ideas going. (For example, I think the non-theme “Sharing Food Around the E-Campfire” a few years back yielded the now infamous chocolate mug cake recipe that has become an Up All Night staple.) Non-themes can be freely ignored, hence the "non".

This year's non-theme, in honor of the Mayan calendar's final day (December 21, 2012--which some have taken as an expiration date for the planet), is "Apocalypse Now!" Interpret that any way you like. Start gathering your apocalyptic visions or, if you prefer, your best ideas for the new era about to dawn, and share them as we keep vigil to see if the world really ends. ;) (At least you won’t be caught napping if it does!)

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest here:
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?2186-Up-All-Night-A-Technopagan-Winter-Solstice-2011

(Keep in mind that that's only part of the night's buzz, as there's also usually a MUX chat here that night, where some of the best chatter happens.)

Since it'll be my first Winter Solstice as a member here, I'll definitely try to join in!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:16 pm »
Quote from: Juni;81287

You and me both.

And I can personally vouch for the deliciousness of those cookie recipes! ;)  I'll be here with bells and goofy Hobbit feet on.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Polytheist, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Monastic, Druid, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: xe/hir/xem
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:54:50 pm »

I'm in! Willing and able to represent the southern hemisphere! I shall bring sunshine and bitter complaints about the hot weather. :D

I'm going to have to pump myself full of coffee because it'll kick off at 7pm my time, and just once I want to see dawn on the Solstice. /is not a morning person. This might just give me the incentive to do it this year.
Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Sophia C

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Gaelic-tinged polytheism, quite attached to Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian heretic, some Christian stuff
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:20 am »

This sounds excellent. I shall be there, although being in the UK I'll be leaving earlier than everyone else, and popping off to do some Druid-y things at dawn :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:29:44 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 02:31:09 am »

I'm going away for the holidays and I'm going to have no computer access at all (for 2 whole weeks!), so I'm afraid that I can't this year. Sob.....:cry:
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 03:17:21 am »

I'm in, though depending whether or not I work will affect when I appear.
If I work I won't be appearing until after 2am est.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 08:17:06 am »

I'm showing my age, when I hear "Apocalypse Now!" I don't think of the Mayan calendar, I think of a fleet of helicopters attacking to the "Ride of the Valkyries"....
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

I definitely won't be doing the whole thing - Vieva without sleep is SCARY and a migraine waiting to happen - but I'll visit for the beginning and the end!  And hang out as long as is feasible without wanting to chop my head off. :)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;81323
I'm showing my age, when I hear "Apocalypse Now!" I don't think of the Mayan calendar, I think of a fleet of helicopters attacking to the "Ride of the Valkyries"....

I'm pretty sure so does Altair.  Take that, you end-of-the-world panickers!  I love the smell of genuine scholarship in the morning - it smells... of victory!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81361
I love the smell of genuine scholarship in the morning - it smells... of victory!

LOL. :D:

It's not an age thing so much as a movie-nerd thing, maybe: I'm a whippersnapper and I will *always* think of the Ride of the Valkyries when I hear "Apocalypse Now".

Or maybe I'm not such a whippersnapper as I think I am...
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »
Quote from: Finn;81367
LOL. :D:

It's not an age thing so much as a movie-nerd thing, maybe: I'm a whippersnapper and I will *always* think of the Ride of the Valkyries when I hear "Apocalypse Now".

Or maybe I'm not such a whippersnapper as I think I am...

You're just an oldster in a new model body, that's all.

"The horror... the horror..."  You know, I may have to watch this one again. It's been years since I saw it.
Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;81323

I can think of worse ways to spend the vigil on Mothernight than listening to Wagner. :p
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:37:13 pm by Vitkyng »

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
Coming Soon--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 02:32:37 am »
What, you might ask, is this "all-night technopagan" thing he's talking about??

It's an annual tradition here at the Cauldron; it started when a bunch of us realized that we like to pass the December solstice--for the northern hemisphere, it's the winter solstice and therefore the longest night of the year--by staying awake all night long. (Or trying to stay awake all night long!) We thought: Why not use the magic of the Internet to connect us into one global pagan party for the night, and stay up together?

And so, with Randall graciously offering to host us, "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" was born.

It's really simple: A dedicated thread will start here in "Holidays and Festivals" right before nightfall on the night of the solstice, to which everyone is welcome to come and go and contribute as they please. Some of us go the distance for an all-nighter; some people drop in just for part of the night; some in the southern hemisphere make us envious with tales of the warmth and daylight they're basking in (since it's they're summer solstice)...just about anything goes (within the usual board rules, of course).

This year, the solstice occurs at about 11:12 AM Universal Time on December 21, so we'll be celebrating that night, beginning at nightfall on Friday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2012" thread to appear right around then.

We usually choose a "non-theme": something to serve as a springboard to get ideas going. (For example, I think the non-theme “Sharing Food Around the E-Campfire” a few years back yielded the now infamous chocolate mug cake recipe that has become an Up All Night staple.) Non-themes can be freely ignored, hence the "non".

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest here:
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?2186-Up-All-Night-A-Technopagan-Winter-Solstice-2011

(Keep in mind that that's only part of the night's buzz, as there's also usually a MUX chat here that night, where some of the best chatter happens.)

This sounds like so much fun! I will definitely be joining in.

Tags: