collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: How does a pantheist mark the holidays  (Read 1758 times)

El_Barbudo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:42:05 pm »
I am wanting to start observing the holidays by following the wheel of the year but I'm not a very spiritual person. I'm not very much into magic or spirituality in that I don't identify as a witch in any way. I'm not very experienced at all with this sort of thing but I'd like to mark the points on the wheel with some sort of meal and maybe some ritualistic traditions and readings that don't have anything to do with gods or magic. Does anyone have any good resources for this? Sorry I hope this message makes some sort of sense. Thank you all in advance for your input.

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »
Quote from: El_Barbudo;123732
I am wanting to start observing the holidays by following the wheel of the year but I'm not a very spiritual person. I'm not very much into magic or spirituality in that I don't identify as a witch in any way. I'm not very experienced at all with this sort of thing but I'd like to mark the points on the wheel with some sort of meal and maybe some ritualistic traditions and readings that don't have anything to do with gods or magic. Does anyone have any good resources for this? Sorry I hope this message makes some sort of sense. Thank you all in advance for your input.

 
The wheel holidays don't apply to all pagan practices, so you're likely to get a variety of answers here.  For example, I am Kemetic and a FlameKeeper and the wheel of the year doesn't have any part in what I do, so I don't celebrate what many consider to be "essential" holidays.

Since you are a pantheist, is there a reason you'd rather celebrate the holidays using the wheel rather than creating your own ways to mark the seasonal changes, etc.?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

NiDara

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 260
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 8
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:45 pm »
Quote from: El_Barbudo;123732
I am wanting to start observing the holidays by following the wheel of the year but I'm not a very spiritual person. I'm not very much into magic or spirituality in that I don't identify as a witch in any way. I'm not very experienced at all with this sort of thing but I'd like to mark the points on the wheel with some sort of meal and maybe some ritualistic traditions and readings that don't have anything to do with gods or magic. Does anyone have any good resources for this? Sorry I hope this message makes some sort of sense. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Books on pantheism are limited, but I found that Paul Harrison's Elements of Pantheism is a rather good book to have around, no matter the type of pantheism you believe. You could probably find others that suit your taste by searching on Amazon. For an online source, I've found that this blog offers some good starting points on naturalistic pantheism. http://naturalpantheist.wordpress.com/ The blogger has applied the Wheel of the Year to their path, combining it with ADF druidry.

I do think you should reflect on what the various pagan holidays mean to you personally. There's no great consensus on what holidays pantheists celebrate. If it's simply the solstices and equinoxes that appeal to you, go with that. To be a pantheist usually means forming your own path, as there's no book or authority who can tell what you're supposed to do/believe. It's not easy, but it can be very worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:39:29 pm by Nic an Dair »

El_Barbudo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. I'm still sort of figuring out my beliefs and where I fit in. I mentioned the wheel because I guess I sort of am drawn to the tradition and history of religious practices so I thought that celtic paganism seemed closest to my beliefs in a way and I like the idea of marking the change of the seasons so I want to do it in a way that is meaningful to me but also draw from historical practices if that makes sense? as i like the idea of having that sort of connection to something.

Quote from: Amber Seal;123752
Books on pantheism are limited, but I found that Paul Harrison's Elements of Pantheism is a rather good book to have around, no matter the type of pantheism you believe. You could probably find others that suit your taste by searching on Amazon. For an online source, I've found that this blog offers some good starting points on naturalistic pantheism. http://naturalpantheist.wordpress.com/ The blogger has applied the Wheel of the Year to their path, combining it with ADF druidry.

I do think you should reflect on what the various pagan holidays mean to you personally. There's no great consensus on what holidays pantheists celebrate. If it's simply the solstices and equinoxes that appeal to you, go with that. To be a pantheist usually means forming your own path, as there's no book or authority who can tell what you're supposed to do/believe. It's not easy, but it can be very worthwhile.

Kylara

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 946
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:04:22 am »
Quote from: El_Barbudo;123732
I am wanting to start observing the holidays by following the wheel of the year but I'm not a very spiritual person. I'm not very much into magic or spirituality in that I don't identify as a witch in any way. I'm not very experienced at all with this sort of thing but I'd like to mark the points on the wheel with some sort of meal and maybe some ritualistic traditions and readings that don't have anything to do with gods or magic. Does anyone have any good resources for this? Sorry I hope this message makes some sort of sense. Thank you all in advance for your input.

 
http://www.green-organic-world.com/seasons-of-the-year.html this might make a good starting point.  I did a bunch of reading a while back on the Wheel, and some of it was very non-religious, focusing on the physical world and the natural rhythms and changes (unfortunately other than my personal notes, I didn't keep sources for a lot of it).

You can find quite a bit of stuff out there if you read (or skim) mass amounts of sites on the different celebrations.  Typically I find that the first ten or so that I read are pretty much the same basic info, possibly reworded (though often just cut/paste copies of each other), then there will be one that takes a different slant.  Finding one small bit that leads onto a tangent will often take me to some really interesting information.

The best advice I can give is spend some time reading and learning about where the year is right now.  Not only do people tend to be talking about it more (in blogs and what not), but it helps really drive the stuff you are reading home.  For me, I struggled even more because the growth cycle of plants isn't something I really resonate with, so I had to dig a bit and find more than just what the green stuff was doing.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Materialist

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 605
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How does a pantheist mark the holidays
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »
Quote from: El_Barbudo;123898
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. I'm still sort of figuring out my beliefs and where I fit in. I mentioned the wheel because I guess I sort of am drawn to the tradition and history of religious practices so I thought that celtic paganism seemed closest to my beliefs in a way and I like the idea of marking the change of the seasons so I want to do it in a way that is meaningful to me but also draw from historical practices if that makes sense? as i like the idea of having that sort of connection to something.


Marking the seasons depends on where you live. In my practice, seasons are not points in time, but events. And a lot of events happen in my area: the day I till the garden, day I plant the garden, day of the first sprout, the first flower, the first fruit, the final harvest, first frost, days when various wild plants become edible. Could be anything.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
2436 Views
Last post October 06, 2011, 03:05:47 pm
by Shawnee
4 Replies
7314 Views
Last post December 27, 2015, 05:01:26 am
by paganpantheist
4 Replies
3924 Views
Last post June 19, 2012, 11:31:08 pm
by NatureMade
71 Replies
7901 Views
Last post July 23, 2015, 10:19:23 pm
by Louisvillian
7 Replies
2407 Views
Last post December 23, 2014, 05:24:27 pm
by mattkaru

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall