Re: Recently Blogged by Kylara
[April 14, 2021, 03:40:23 pm]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by PerditaPickle
[April 14, 2021, 01:27:57 pm]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by Sophia C
[April 14, 2021, 10:30:47 am]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by muis
[April 14, 2021, 06:32:05 am]

Author Topic: A TC Summer Solstice Ritual in Meatspace?  (Read 1672 times)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: A TC Summer Solstice Ritual in Meatspace?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 02:21:54 pm »
That's much lower than I expected. 

Possibly.  I'd be more concerned if this were happening within the next couple of months.  With a year+ lead time, there's plenty of time to arrange vacation days/time off. 

If anyone is on the fence about travel expenses, some things to consider:
  • If you're planning to fly, Albany has one of the closest airports served by major airlines (United, Delta, Southwest, and Allegient), about an hour's drive from Opus 40. Flying into either NY or NJ will put you a couple hours south of the area.  Most of the budget carriers fly into the NYC/Newark area, so that might be the best option for cheaper flights.
  • While there's a bit of a distance between the airports and Opus 40/Saugerties, there are public transportation options to get to the Saugerties area.  Altair mentioned Trailways buses, and, IIRC, there's an Amtrak station at Rhinecliff, which is across the Hudson River from the area.
  • Once there, the county has public transit buses that run between the towns (e.g. to Woodstock and Kingston).  Lyft and Uber are also options, as Altair has mentioned. We'll likely have at least one or two folks who will be driving and who could potentially be enticed into giving lifts if presented with chocolate and/or shiny things (or maybe that's just me?).
  • There's a spectrum of accommodations in the area, including some that are under $100/night. AirBnB & VRBO have some good options if you don't want to stay in a chain hotel, including several larger places that could be shared if folks wanted to split housing costs as well as some budget accommodations with kitchenettes.
  • You can keep yourself entertained in the area without spending a lot of cash - lots of parks and trails, artsy/musical doings in Woodstock (at last check, they do a public drum circle on Sundays), and window-shopping in Saugerties if you have good impulse control when faced with bookstores and antique shops.
  • There appears to be a decent spectrum of dining options, including the standard fast food places.  Vegetarians/vegans have lots of good choices for dine-on/take-out; gluten-free/food allergy friendly place seem to be a little harder to come by, but I will be researching further if anyone else needs the info.  Depending on where folks are staying, there's the potential to save on meals by cooking at 'home' rather than eating out (and if people want to get together for 'home'-cooked meals, all the better for keeping ourselves entertained at low cost).

I think we can manage rain with a little planning (umbrellas, ponchos and tents, oh my). Thunder and lightning would be another matter entirely. Does Opus 40 have a reschedule or refund policy in the event of severe weather (I suspect they aren't fond of having folks hit by lightning on their property)?

Excellent info, very useful, and I think it should make it easier for folks who are interested to actually do this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we *are* actually doing this; it seems to have captured the imagination of enough of us to make a go of it!

And if it all goes awry, we can blame The Green Wizard.

I will check with Opus 40 about refund policy. And I will order a horn...

(...because if I'm marching with the East contingent, I'm gonna have a big old resonant horn to blow to herald our approach! I'll feel like that Maggie Smith character in the last Harry Potter film when she animates the sentinel statues on Hogwart's battlements with a sheepish "I've always wanted to do that!")

Suggestions on a kickass ancient-sounding horn welcome!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 06:00:05 pm »
1. At present we're planning this for a Tuesday, so most folks will have to take off from work to participate. Will that adversely affect attendance to make this not worth doing?

2. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the rental cost of the venue is covered, and so no one's pocket will take the hit on that. There will still be other expenses--travel, lodging (for those for whom it will be more than a day trip), food. Are folks willing to spend the $ to do this?

3. There's no predicting the weather this far out. Are we prepared to plan all this and potentially have Mother Nature rain on our pagan parade?

While it's still firmly in the "Pleasant Daydream" category of "Things Morag Wants to Do," I have to admit for the past several days I've been thinking a LOT about taking the whole family (Momma Morag, Mr. Morag, and both dogs, assuming Tyee is still around) in an RV road trip across Canada -- something we've wanted to do for ages anyway -- going to NY for the summer solstice, and then going up through the states up to the Maritimes before heading home.

So look, if I win the lotto in the next few days it's a definite go; otherwise I'm just going to keep on my current plan to make tonnes of money and hope that it bears fruit in time for this to happen. (If we do win a big-ass lotto in the next few days I'll pay for half of the site rental costs.)

And if it does, hopefully by then I'll have Sirius trained in how to call the quarters and cast a circle, and we can have him help us out. XD
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 06:45:33 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we *are* actually doing this; it seems to have captured the imagination of enough of us to make a go of it!

Well, as I see it, we're still in the 'figure out if it's viable' stages - but we seem to have reached, 'if it is viable, we're doing it.' Still IF, but much closer to definite.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 06:53:30 pm »
While it's still firmly in the "Pleasant Daydream" category of "Things Morag Wants to Do," I have to admit for the past several days I've been thinking a LOT about taking the whole family (Momma Morag, Mr. Morag, and both dogs, assuming Tyee is still around) in an RV road trip across Canada -- something we've wanted to do for ages anyway -- going to NY for the summer solstice, and then going up through the states up to the Maritimes before heading home.

If you and Mr Morag are so inclined, I would be interested in joining you, helping to defray costs and providing another driver. This will, of course, depend on whether I have the travel-budget money to cover my share of costs, and how it'd compare costwise for me with other possible plans.

So, still 'pleasant daydream' - for both of us - but perhaps somewhat closer to realizable.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2021, 07:13:27 pm »

I think there's enough interest to do the preliminary groundwork.  I suspect that it will get more interest as we move back into a reality that's a little more stable.

And I will order a horn...

(...because if I'm marching with the East contingent, I'm gonna have a big old resonant horn to blow to herald our approach! I'll feel like that Maggie Smith character in the last Harry Potter film when she animates the sentinel statues on Hogwart's battlements with a sheepish "I've always wanted to do that!")

Suggestions on a kickass ancient-sounding horn welcome!

The one that springs immediately to mind is kudu horn, which can sound quite impressive.  The form most folks are familiar with is the Jewish shofar, but they're used as instruments across several cultures. I suspect there'll be a bit of a learning curve with it if you aren't already a horn player.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 09:12:27 pm »

I think there's enough interest to do the preliminary groundwork.  I suspect that it will get more interest as we move back into a reality that's a little more stable.

Agreed.

The question is how to proceed with reserving the site. I'm guessing it gets booked pretty far on advance for weddings and such, though a Tuesday is probably not on high demand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2021, 04:51:27 pm »
I'd almost certainly be up for something here in England -- my first thought was Avebury stone circle, since we all know Stonehenge is well and truly spoken for.

I would definitely be up for this. I can’t swing a trip Stateside, even with a year’s notice, but England is definitely doable. And I love the idea of doing something along these lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal