Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: A Special Cauldron Event, Coming Soon...  (Read 7134 times)

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: A Special Cauldron Event, Coming Soon...
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:38:32 am »

So mark your calendars for the evening of Thursday, December 21, through the night until the sun rises on Friday, December 22. We hope to have some special things for the tenth anniversary, but the most special thing of all would be to have all of you join in.

More info to follow! In the meantime, feel free to share ideas on how to make this milestone anniversary of UAN a standout. (First question: What are your do's and don'ts for staying up all night?)

Ten years already? Time really does fly! Maybe, as something special, have people share their memories of the first UAN they participated in? Doesn't matter if that was last year, the year before, or the first UAN.

I will definitely try to make it. Not sure I could request the 22nd off as a personal day or something, but I will probably end up staying up all night after taking a nap in the afternoon. This is the holiday I look forward to the most, and with the one-year anniversary of Mom's passing coming just a couple of days later, doing UAN would be a good way to keep my spirits up and mark the end of a full year of mourning.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 11:37:41 am »
YAY, HH!

Good list. There's a karaoke place only 2 blocks from me, so I'll have to try it as a stay-awake technique.

I'll make my annual solstice call to my Zen former college roomie on the west coast...and maybe I'll get TheGreenWizard to hang out for a while. (TGW...?)

Media? Hmmm. If I watch TV or a movie or read a book in the later hours, it puts me to sleep.

But exercise/chores? Great stay-awake move. Speaking of exercise...

DO
Grab a partner and have raucous sex

DON'T
Stay horizontal afterwards. Guaranteed sleep. At least for us guys.

@Altair I was just thinking of you and this holiday. Definitely up for helping out with the technology side of things.

This will be an interesting season for me - I'm hoping my first official Yule will be great!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »
Ten years already? Time really does fly! Maybe, as something special, have people share their memories of the first UAN they participated in? Doesn't matter if that was last year, the year before, or the first UAN.

We're on the same wavelength, Wanderer. I think that would make a good non-theme. More to follow...
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 01:04:10 pm »
We have several traditions here at The Cauldron, but only one involves the sheer madness of sleep deprivation...

Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration

I'm excited that as things stand I've got the 22nd off work so hope to be able to join in on my first UAN.

I will probably stop by from about 10.30-11pm (UK time) as I've a regular swimming and bite to eat date with a friend Thursdays.

I'll then have to see how I go as I do have a health condition which could be an issue (and I tend to get restless legs from having my laptop on my lap for extended periods).

If I do get sleepy I probably won't fight it and just doze for a bit then join in again when I wake.  I will likely have the TV on for background noise and be snuggled in the spare duvet, so the chances of dozing are pretty high!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
This year is extra special, because it marks the tenth anniversary of our Up All Night (UAN) celebration

Huh. That means my first year at TC was the first UAN. That's some cool synchronicity.

Of course I'll be participating; UAN is one of my favourite seasonal traditions.

My main tip for staying up all night? Sleep until just before sunset during the day. I realize not everyone can manage that, but if you can, it helps.

Then I mainline coffee and spend the night keeping myself busy with cooking, cleaning, knitting, wrapping gifts, writing, etc. 
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »
I'm excited that as things stand I've got the 22nd off work so hope to be able to join in on my first UAN.

HOORAY Pickle, Morag, and everyone else who's chimed in to say they'll be joining our annual solstice fest!

I will likely have the TV on for background noise and be snuggled in the spare duvet, so the chances of dozing are pretty high!

For me that would be guaranteed to doom my stay-awake efforts.

Since you're in the U.K., try to rouse yourself around 2 AM your time (9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific). A plan for something special for UAN's 10th anniversary may be in the works for that time...

More details to follow.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »
HOORAY Pickle, Morag, and everyone else who's chimed in to say they'll be joining our annual solstice fest!

For me that would be guaranteed to doom my stay-awake efforts.

Since you're in the U.K., try to rouse yourself around 2 AM your time (9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific). A plan for something special for UAN's 10th anniversary may be in the works for that time...

More details to follow.
So I've put in the request off for my Christmas vacation starting Thursday the 21st. Seeing as how I'll be awake all night in the passenger seat driving to CT, I'll definitely be popping in and out.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 05:33:11 pm »

Intriguing - I think if I set a soft alarm on my phone it should be enough to ensure I'm awake at that time, just in case (but without bugging my husband).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 08:44:58 pm »
We're on the same wavelength, Wanderer. I think that would make a good non-theme. More to follow...

Announcing this year's non-theme* for Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration...

*But first: What is a "non-theme"? Since Up All Night (UAN) is very free form, people post about whatever they want in the course of our long shared night...but to help get things going, we have an idea every year that folks can use as a springboard or ignore entirely, as they see fit. Hence we call it a non-theme.

...to mark UAN's 10th anniversary, the non-theme will be:

In Retrospect

What would that mean? As Wanderer suggested, you could post memories of the first UAN you ever participated in...or you could look back on the last 10 years in your life, personal and/or spiritual, and take stock of the milestones/highights...or maybe focus on one thing that looks very different to you now than it did back in the day...or some other interpretation.

Or not. It's a non-theme, after all.

Up All Night is just over 2 weeks away! Rest up and start banking those ZZZZZZs!

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:56 am »
Announcing this year's non-theme* for Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration...

*But first: What is a "non-theme"? Since Up All Night (UAN) is very free form, people post about whatever they want in the course of our long shared night...but to help get things going, we have an idea every year that folks can use as a springboard or ignore entirely, as they see fit. Hence we call it a non-theme.

...to mark UAN's 10th anniversary, the non-theme will be:

In Retrospect

What would that mean? As Wanderer suggested, you could post memories of the first UAN you ever participated in...or you could look back on the last 10 years in your life, personal and/or spiritual, and take stock of the milestones/highights...or maybe focus on one thing that looks very different to you now than it did back in the day...or some other interpretation.

Or not. It's a non-theme, after all.

Up All Night is just over 2 weeks away! Rest up and start banking those ZZZZZZs!

I just found out I don't have work on the 22nd! Which means I can be up all night with you guys!
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:39 pm »
I just found out I don't have work on the 22nd! Which means I can be up all night with you guys!

Woohoo!

And see the new thread "You're Invited!" for the announcement of a UAN 10th anniversary special event...

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 03:55:40 am »

In Retrospect

For old times' sake, I might drop by.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:08 pm »
(First question: What are your do's and don'ts for staying up all night?)

Honestly, I'm a night owl with a touch of insomnia so I don't usually have a problem staying up. Give me a good book or a writing project that I'm excited about and I could go forever.

I've got kids that require that I be non homicidal and moderately coherent the next day so I'll just be joining in until sometime between midnight and 1am local time. I'm kind of excited ;) I missed out on last years due to family drama and am looking forward to a much quieter, less hectic solstice this year.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 06:52:16 am »
For old times' sake, I might drop by.

I hope you do, Valentine! As you suggested, it would be in keeping with this year's non-theme.

I've got kids that require that I be non homicidal and moderately coherent the next day so I'll just be joining in until sometime between midnight and 1am local time. I'm kind of excited ;) I missed out on last years due to family drama and am looking forward to a much quieter, less hectic solstice this year.

Yay, shadowsiren! We'll take you for as long as we can get you. Everybody's welcome for as long or as short as they can manage.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 11:04:15 am »
We have several traditions here at The Cauldron, but only one involves the sheer madness of sleep deprivation...

Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration

It's the one night a year when we all "gather" in this here cyberspace in real time to celebrate as a community that spans the globe. Some of us stay up all night (it being the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the longest night of the year), reveling or contemplating the return of the light...some of us just stay a while and cheer the insomniacs on...but *everybody* posts in a special thread created just for that night: photos, poems, artwork, links to music or videos or fascinating tidbits, hopes/dreams/fears/crazy ideas/random thoughts...we chat, we chew (chocolate mug cake!)...and in the process we paint a collective picture of the December solstice as experienced by us Cauldronites wherever we are.

A reminder that Up All Night is this coming Thursday night! (And if you want to participate in UAN's Great Global Group Mediation, don't forget to PM me.) In the meantime, here's one perspective on the solstice, from a major newspaper:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/opinion/sunday/solstice-praise-for-darkness.html

Tags: