Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The reconstruction of Beer  (Read 7590 times)

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: The reconstruction of Beer
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 08:19:15 pm »
I've often suspected it's parallel to increasingly-spicy hot sauce: it's not necessarily about liking that much heat, or that much hops, as it is about competing, proving something by how much one can stand. Of course, there'll be folks who really do like that much heat, but IME those folks usually know a thing or several about different flavors of heat, and the distinction between particular sorts of heat enhancing the flavor of a dish, or just being hot - the same likely applies to hoppiness, or will develop out of this Hop Madness.

Sunflower, who likes hops (and spicy food), but not all the time, and not imbalancedly
Absolutely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »
Which modern beer? Because there are many I wouldn’t want ever. But some I love.

I've tried various commercial brands and found them tolerable at best, but I have a particularly low opinion about Labatt's Blue (and it's my parents' favorite :( ). On the other hand, I love cider.

Partly it's what Darkhawk said about hops, and partly I just don't get on with grain-based alcohols; I also think sake is nasty, and I won't even touch whiskey and its relatives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 01:04:52 am »
I've tried various commercial brands and found them tolerable at best, but I have a particularly low opinion about Labatt's Blue (and it's my parents' favorite :( ). On the other hand, I love cider.

Partly it's what Darkhawk said about hops, and partly I just don't get on with grain-based alcohols; I also think sake is nasty, and I won't even touch whiskey and its relatives.
Now, see, when I say commercial I think Irish Death or Black Raven Brewery’s Coconut Porter.  Labatts???  I would rather go thirsty. Just “eww” as my grandson says. But, then, those are both from independent craft breweries in the state I live in.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
Now, see, when I say commercial I think Irish Death or Black Raven Brewery’s Coconut Porter.  Labatts???  I would rather go thirsty. Just “eww” as my grandson says. But, then, those are both from independent craft breweries in the state I live in.

I have a catch-22 kind of thing going on: I'm unwilling to spend money on something which I'm not sure I'll enjoy enough to justify spending that much money on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 08:04:55 pm »
I have a catch-22 kind of thing going on: I'm unwilling to spend money on something which I'm not sure I'll enjoy enough to justify spending that much money on it.

I used to hate beer, and still don't like it much, but I probably wouldn't drink it all if I hadn't been willing to experiment and try new styles. I tried IPA, which I hated, porter, which I hated only slightly less, and finally found that I can tolerate (but not necessarily enjoy) brown ale. I find all of these styles more appetizing than any of the commercial mass market adjunct lagers I have tried.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 08:22:17 pm »

I started with beer because I have a friend who has as one of her missions in life to make sure that people find Their Beer.  She listened to me rant about flavors in wine and suggested I try abbey ales.  That was drinkable!  But eventually I tried Belgians and that was very good.

And my favorite beer is a Flemish red so I've got red beer action going on.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:13 pm »
That is a problem!

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 05:51:53 am »

Anyway, reconstruction: it's not just for religions. Anyone else know of any similar examples?

Not beer but we found a 16th century apple pie recipe in the archives. We 'translated' it to modern Dutch and one of our volunteers actually made the recipe. It was really good!
I'll see if I can find it and post it.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 06:05:16 am »
Not beer but we found a 16th century apple pie recipe in the archives. We 'translated' it to modern Dutch and one of our volunteers actually made the recipe. It was really good!
I'll see if I can find it and post it.

To make an applepie
Take the best sour apples, also one or two quinces, peel them, cut them in pieces and take the cores out, boil it into a thick mush, with it one adds sugar and crushed cinnamon to taste, as also four or five crushed biscuits, after the apples are moist, and one wants to make the pie large, further one adds butter, finely chopped succade, and the pressed juices of a lemon, leave this to simmer a little, when this has cooled down, so one places it in a fine pie crust, and bake it with a slow fire, bottom and top, can usually be done in half an hour.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 06:27:27 pm »

To make an applepie
Take the best sour apples, also one or two quinces, peel them, cut them in pieces and take the cores out, boil it into a thick mush, with it one adds sugar and crushed cinnamon to taste, as also four or five crushed biscuits, after the apples are moist, and one wants to make the pie large, further one adds butter, finely chopped succade, and the pressed juices of a lemon, leave this to simmer a little, when this has cooled down, so one places it in a fine pie crust, and bake it with a slow fire, bottom and top, can usually be done in half an hour.

I may have to try that, in fall when the quinces are available; I've always wondered what those are like. I'm scratching my head over "succade" though -- from context, it might be candied ginger?

Antique recipes are fascinating. I have a book called "Food in History" that has things in it like a Roman recipe for stuffed dormice (not inclined to try that one...).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 09:00:49 pm »
I may have to try that, in fall when the quinces are available; I've always wondered what those are like. I'm scratching my head over "succade" though -- from context, it might be candied ginger?

Antique recipes are fascinating. I have a book called "Food in History" that has things in it like a Roman recipe for stuffed dormice (not inclined to try that one...).
According to my husband (20 years Air Force- master survival instructor) mice are hardly worth the trouble. Rats (country not city) or squirrels are much better - you done need a bunch to make a meal.

I prefer rabbit or chicken, but I’m not starving.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 09:19:19 pm »

Unfortunately, most of them rely heavily on meat, lard, gelatin, tallow, and other non-vegetarian foods. Which means that I can't try most of them; I have yet to find a cookbook of (historically accurate) ancient vegetarian foods. I'm sure some exist, as Lent was taken seriously in the Middle Ages, and there have always been vegetarians in India and East Asia, but I've yet to encounter them.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:17 pm »
According to my husband (20 years Air Force- master survival instructor) mice are hardly worth the trouble.

I gather that was the point: rich people serving them to show off that they could afford to waste their servants' time preparing them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 01:33:10 am »
I gather that was the point: rich people serving them to show off that they could afford to waste their servants' time preparing them.
Yeah. But still yuck!  May none of us ever be that hungry!

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:22 am »
Yeah. But still yuck!  May none of us ever be that hungry!

Seconded.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: