collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Forensic facial expert reconstructs Jesus Christ's face using ancient skulls  (Read 860 times)

Dragonoake

• Master Member
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
He appears a world-away from western representations of Jesus Christ but using forensic data from the skulls of ancient first century Jewish men, a British anatomical artist has re-imagined the face of the son of God.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/forensic-facial-expert-reconstructs-jesus-christs-face-using-ancient-skulls-a6772926.html

sevensons

Quote from: Dragonoake;204044
He appears a world-away from western representations of Jesus Christ but using forensic data from the skulls of ancient first century Jewish men, a British anatomical artist has re-imagined the face of the son of God.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/forensic-facial-expert-reconstructs-jesus-christs-face-using-ancient-skulls-a6772926.html

So he was not beautiful.

Dynes Hysbys

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

The museum guide in Istanbul told me that the early depictions of Jesus as a young man were based on the classical looks of Apollo to help ease the transition to Christianity and as an older man were modelled on  Zeus.

RandallS

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;204046
The museum guide in Istanbul told me that the early depictions of Jesus as a young man were based on the classical looks of Apollo to help ease the transition to Christianity and as an older man were modelled on  Zeus.

That makes sense even without the "to help ease the transition" bit.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: RandallS;204048
That makes sense even without the "to help ease the transition" bit.

Quite; a young guy whose followers idealised him is typically taken to look like an idealised young guy. Not terribly surprising.
But then, quite a lot of modern Pagans seem to look at everything in Christianity as having deliberately twisted pre-Christian traditions. Like it was all some kind of sinister plot and ancient Christians were moustache-twirling villains, tying Vestal Virgins to railroad tracks or something.
The narrative not only vilifies ancient Christians a bit beyond the facts, but does a great disservice to our ancient polytheistic and pagan predecessors. It makes them look like ignorant chuckleheads, easily fooled by superficial pageantry and visuals.

SunflowerP

• Senior Staff
    Attack Member
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Louisvillian;204500
But then, quite a lot of modern Pagans seem to look at everything in Christianity as having deliberately twisted pre-Christian traditions. Like it was all some kind of sinister plot and ancient Christians were moustache-twirling villains, tying Vestal Virgins to railroad tracks or something.
The narrative not only vilifies ancient Christians a bit beyond the facts, but does a great disservice to our ancient polytheistic and pagan predecessors. It makes them look like ignorant chuckleheads, easily fooled by superficial pageantry and visuals.

I keep trying, without success, to figure out what this has to do with the thread. Can you clarify?

Sunflower
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: SunflowerP;204544
I keep trying, without success, to figure out what this has to do with the thread. Can you clarify?

Sunflower

It's just a tangent, going off Dynes' comment about how things like that were "to ease the transition". I was agreeing with you, that the things he mentioned made sense even without the "ease the transition" bit. The assumption that a transition was deliberately 'eased' by Christianity adopting polytheistic iconography is one that I don't have a lot of stock in. It relates to the threat entirely because of the suggestion that Christianity patterned Jesus' appearance off of Classical images of Apollo and Zeus.

Dynes Hysbys

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Louisvillian;204621
It's just a tangent, going off Dynes' comment about how things like that were "to ease the transition". I was agreeing with you, that the things he mentioned made sense even without the "ease the transition" bit. The assumption that a transition was deliberately 'eased' by Christianity adopting polytheistic iconography is one that I don't have a lot of stock in. It relates to the threat entirely because of the suggestion that Christianity patterned Jesus' appearance off of Classical images of Apollo and Zeus.

You will note that I said I was told that by the museum guide.

MadeiraDarling

Though based on the methodology isn't that just a picture of a statistically average first century Jewish man?

He could have been Nir Lavi gorgeous or literally Quasimodo for all we know, because like... most people aren't smack dab statistically average?

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
Though based on the methodology isn't that just a picture of a statistically average first century Jewish man?

That was my understanding, yes

He could have been Nir Lavi gorgeous or literally Quasimodo for all we know, because like... most people aren't smack dab statistically average?

Also true, but unless he was of Hittite origin, a tall white man would have been considered quite unusual in that time and place

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Oops! The page you were looking for cannot be found.

Eh. I'll take reverential depictions of Jesus over Reb Stout and Homely Jewish man, thanks kindly.
It is a cursed evil to any man to become as absorbed in any subject as I am in mine.
-- Charles Darwin

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Eh. I'll take reverential depictions of Jesus over Reb Stout and Homely Jewish man, thanks kindly.

The last may come first and the humble be exalted, but the saviour oughta be pretty, huh?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
The last may come first and the humble be exalted, but the saviour oughta be pretty, huh?

Yes.
It is a cursed evil to any man to become as absorbed in any subject as I am in mine.
-- Charles Darwin

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Yes.

That's an interesting soteriology you've got there.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
That's an interesting soteriology you've got there.

I'm fairly sure you know as well as I do that that is not a soteriological opinion on my part, Kiya. Following -- in an of course much broader sense than originally intended -- the rabbinic principle of hiddur mitzvah I am strongly in favour of aesthetic beauty as a necessarily indispensable element of religious practice. Holy things ought to be beautiful things, and that extends to Christian depictions of Christ as well as it extends to an aron kodesh or the design of a mosque.
-- Charles Darwin

Tags: