Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Philosophy and Your Beliefs  (Read 3272 times)

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Philosophy and Your Beliefs
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:04:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have been recently reading some of Emperor Julian Augustus' writers (well trying to lol) and it has me wondering how Classical and Hellenistic philosophy influences others beliefs when it comes to the gods and the theology.
Of course, the philosophers point of view was a small minority compared to the wider populace, but we tend to have their writings in plenty.

So, how does the various Greco-Roman schools of thought shape your perspective on the gods, or at all?
Do you lean towards Epicurus' borderline atheism/polydeism?
Or perhaps the Neoplatonic Monad?
Or even the Stoics more pantheistic approach?
Or are they all completely irrelevant to you?

I know that the viewpoints of the philosophers tend to be either overplayed or shunned slightly in some Hellenic groups, but I think it can be an interesting discussion in regards to the multiple ways in which to view the gods and their nature & interaction with humankind.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:56:58 pm by RandallS »
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Re: Philosophy and Your Beliefs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »
Quote from: Mata;20621
So, how does the various Greco-Roman schools of thought shape your perspective on the gods, or at all?
Do you lean towards Epicurus' borderline atheism/polydeism?
Or perhaps the Neoplatonic Monad?
Or even the Stoics more pantheistic approach?
Or are they all completely irrelevant to you?

Not having read the philosophers, I can't say they directly influence me.  My conceptions are actually more influenced by Hindu philosophy, through acceptance of some parts, and outright rejection of other parts.  And some is just from my own contemplation.  I've been told I think too much.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;20691
Not having read the philosophers, I can't say they directly influence me.  My conceptions are actually more influenced by Hindu philosophy, through acceptance of some parts, and outright rejection of other parts.  And some is just from my own contemplation.

In what kind of ways have Hindu philosophies shaped your understanding of the gods? I'd be interested in hearing that. Especially because Hellenic & Eastern ideologies have melded in the past (Graeco-Buddhism, etc).

I've been told I think too much.

Heh. I hear you on that. It's happened to me all some of the time.
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »
I know that the viewpoints of the philosophers tend to be either overplayed or shunned slightly in some Hellenic groups....

Many of the philosophers had relatively little religious influence until after the classical era -- the era many if not most Hellenic Pagans model their religious practices after, so they have less influence than they would if one based their practices on a later time period.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »
Quote from: Mata;21574
In what kind of ways have Hindu philosophies shaped your understanding of the gods?

Preface: I missed the "on the gods" part of your OP.
It's hard to delineate, because as I said, it was more an influence than an adoption of views.
Can I cop out and say "I have no idea what I was talking about?"  I've spent about 10 minutes trying to think of examples and coming up blank.

For me, other philosophies help with clarification of ideas I had already, as well as the expression thereof.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Figment99

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;21582
Many of the philosophers had relatively little religious influence until after the classical era -- the era many if not most Hellenic Pagans model their religious practices after, so they have less influence than they would if one based their practices on a later time period.

It is true that most of the philosophies that became popular came after the classical era. I was wondering about your thoughts on Stoicism. Do you think the Stoic philosphy can be an important addition of the Hellenistic practices or any Pagan path for that matter?

Just curious :)

(I apologize if this doesn't make sense)
Our life is what our thoughts make it. Marcus Aurelius

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:08:29 am »

They don't really influence me much at all. I tend to be more interested in earlier periods of Greek civilization, and pre-Greek civilizations like the Minoans. While I find things like Stoic philosophy and some writings of Plato and Aristotle kind of interesting (although most of it is really dry), I don't follow any school in particular.

Tags: