Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Objections against the terms of Paganism and Heathendom among Hellenists  (Read 15035 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Darkhawk;104209
Erm, I have a family too, it doesn't make me not an individual.

This. Just because I'm related to my parents, my sister, my cousins, etc. does not mean we are really the same person in different bodies. Heck, by sister and I aren't at all like: different values, different thought processes, etc. We are closely related by very different people. I don't see why families of deities would be any different.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;104280
This. Just because I'm related to my parents, my sister, my cousins, etc. does not mean we are really the same person in different bodies.

This is the thesis of the monotheists, I know! I hope you do believe me it's not my suggestion. All I want to say is that the Gods are what the Phythagoreans and Damascius called "e Koinonia" (the community), capable of building a consensus. As you may quote from so many myths of the Olympics, Midgard for the followers of Odin and Thor.

I never said they are all the same person.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:26:10 am by Haganrix »

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Haganrix;104525

But I do maintain they are capable to build a consensus. And in so far I suggest they're much better on than we today.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Quote from: Haganrix;104525

You are, however, responding to people who say they deal with the gods as individual persons with a statement that the gods are "not so absolutely different as some users have suggested above".  This rather suggests that you wish to say that the gods are not individual persons.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

OfThespiae

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oddmodout.com
Quote from: Darkhawk;104530
You are, however, responding to people who say they deal with the gods as individual persons with a statement that the gods are "not so absolutely different as some users have suggested above".  This rather suggests that you wish to say that the gods are not individual persons.

Yes, that's what I saw, too. "Capable of holding consensus"? Sure, but by my experience, that's kind of an oddity. I mean, the US Congress is technically capable of holding a consensus, but watching the news, you'd never think so.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: youngsoulrebel;104551
Yes, that's what I saw, too. "Capable of holding consensus"? Sure, but by my experience, that's kind of an oddity. I mean, the US Congress is technically capable of holding a consensus, but watching the news, you'd never think so.

And from a reading of Greek myth, a consensus among the Gods was only slightly more common than in Congress.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;104568
And from a reading of Greek myth, a consensus among the Gods was only slightly more common than in Congress.

Heck, just look at the stories about the Trojan War.  They were literally fighting on different sides.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Darkhawk;104530
This rather suggests that you wish to say that the gods are not individual persons.

I  regret, that had never been my suggestion. But if we believe the Gods are the spiritual powers of our Cosmos they should also have the faculty of consense. Or should they not?

May I recommend to you the treatize of Damascius 'On first Principles'. The first cause, Damascius says, is not an individual but a plurality, and in allusion to the Pythagoreans he calls it 'e coinonia' (the community). Thus it was not one person, although not each seperated from the other.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:29:44 pm by Haganrix »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Quote from: Haganrix;114820
I  regret, that had never been my suggestion. But if we believe the Gods are the spiritual powers of our Cosmos they should also have the faculty of consense. Or should they not?

... do you mean they should get along?

... in observing the cosmos is it your general impression that it tends towards a state of no conflict?

... if you feel that it does tend towards a state of no conflict, what do you eat?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: