Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Does Anyone Know Where I can Find Methods on Creating a Carmen/Carmina?  (Read 2139 times)

BlindRobertBrown

• View Profile
  • Religion: Gintliocht, Forn Sithr, and Cultus Deorum
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him, She/Her
Good morning!

I'm interested to know if anyone has any information on or can show me where I can find formats, methods, instructions, etc, on how to compose Carmina for various reasons?

I'm something of a Poet and Lyricist by trade, most of my experience  with cultural and spiritual forms of Poetry has been with Irish and Norse so far, and having gotten myself into the practice of Cultus Deorum sometime fairly recent (long story there), I'd like to research and eventually try my hand at creating and writing some Carmina on my own.

Problem is, however, so far I've been able to find a couple of examples of surviving Carmina, some descriptions on the various functions and varients of Carmina out there, but nothing in the way of exactly a format for meter, pieces of what should be added in one, etc. The search has been frustrating so far and I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light and show me where to go or give me a starting point to go off with.

Thank you very much!

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
Re: Does Anyone Know Where I can Find Methods on Creating a Carmen/Carmina?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:32:34 am »
Good morning!

I'm interested to know if anyone has any information on or can show me where I can find formats, methods, instructions, etc, on how to compose Carmina for various reasons?

I'm something of a Poet and Lyricist by trade, most of my experience  with cultural and spiritual forms of Poetry has been with Irish and Norse so far, and having gotten myself into the practice of Cultus Deorum sometime fairly recent (long story there), I'd like to research and eventually try my hand at creating and writing some Carmina on my own.

Problem is, however, so far I've been able to find a couple of examples of surviving Carmina, some descriptions on the various functions and varients of Carmina out there, but nothing in the way of exactly a format for meter, pieces of what should be added in one, etc. The search has been frustrating so far and I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light and show me where to go or give me a starting point to go off with.

Thank you very much!

I might be exposing my ignorance here but I thought "carmina" was just a general term for poems/ songs, so there is no particular rule for composition or meter. Or does "carmina" refer to a specific genre of hymns? I know Latin poets used a variety of meters, some borrowed from Greek forms. Wikipedia tells me dactylic hexameter was the preferred meter for important subjects, like epics, though I don't know if that extends to hymnody. Are you planning to write in Latin?

Helix109

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vetus Religio
Re: Does Anyone Know Where I can Find Methods on Creating a Carmen/Carmina?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:03:08 pm »
Good morning!

Thank you very much!

Sounds like you're curious about the stuff I do on occasions lol. I'm guessing what you're wanting to do would involve a lyre. You said lyricist so I assume you're familiar with instruments and music? EDIT: Look up the Phrygian mode and Pythagorean intervals. I would also suggest reading the biographies of Apollonius of Tyana and Pythagoras of Samos.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:06:31 pm by Helix109 »