Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Artemis  (Read 2235 times)

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Artemis
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
Okay, I get confused about Artemis. Modern Pagans view her as a goddess of the moon, but isn't Selene the Goddess of the Moon. I've been honoring Artemis for three months now and I'm still confused. Would really love help with this.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Artemis
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:08:36 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;113841
Okay, I get confused about Artemis. Modern Pagans view her as a goddess of the moon, but isn't Selene the Goddess of the Moon. I've been honoring Artemis for three months now and I'm still confused. Would really love help with this.

Both goddesses have lunar symbolism associated with them at different points in history. Gods sometimes share attributes with no conflict.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:09 pm »

Wait, I'm confused.  You say you've been honoring Artemis for three months yet a month ago you seemed rather gun-ho about Celtic (specifically Irish) Reconstructionism.  And you seemed to be Heathen when you joined six months ago...

Anyway, to answer your question they were considered separate deities but later on in antiquity Artemis gained lunar associations until Artemis came to be called the goddess of the moon.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;113845
Wait, I'm confused.  You say you've been honoring Artemis for three months yet a month ago you seemed rather gun-ho about Celtic (specifically Irish) Reconstructionism.  And you seemed to be Heathen when you joined six months ago...

From other threads, I think what happened was that Follower became interested in Hellenismos three months ago, but then temporarily left that path because of an argument she had on another forum.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:57 am »

As I understand it, Selene is the moon itself incarnate, and a (primeval) Titan goddess.  
Artemis is also a moon goddess, in that the moon falls under her domain along with hunting, wildlife, childbirth and young girls.

The same could be said for Helios - he is the sun incarnate, and a Titan god.   Apollon is also a sun god, but he also god of prophesy, music, patron of the arts, purification, healing, plague, etc.

I look at it this way, both Apollo and Artemis are deities of light, and since the sun and moon are sources of light, they fall under their domain; whereas Helios and Selene are the sun and moon themselves, and hold no power over anything else.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:47:48 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;113845

Anyway, to answer your question they were considered separate deities but later on in antiquity Artemis gained lunar associations until Artemis came to be called the goddess of the moon.

The reason that I've settled on Hellenismos is because you have a ton of information that isn't based on someone's opinion. Also, none of the Greek stories are Christianized. Both Celtic and Heathens I'm having a problem with. Celtic snub their noses at Neo-Pagans, even though, without them, no one would of been interested in reconstructing anything. And Heathens, they say they don't hate but they hate those that worship Loki. The amount of hate that I got from people that don't like those that worship Loki turned me off. One blog post was enough to affirm to me that Heathens speak out of two mouths.

Don't like it, can't stand it, and moved on. Hellenist, at least the ones that I see, don't do that. They don't argue, they don't attack others (unless your talking about magic) and they don't speak out of both ends of their lips. I hope that answers your question. Also, I started honoring Artemis three months ago, had a altar set up to her and everything, and started being around her as I slowly left those groups. I hope that answers your question and thanks for answering mine.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;113849
From other threads, I think what happened was that Follower became interested in Hellenismos three months ago, but then temporarily left that path because of an argument she had on another forum.

That's pretty much it, until I figured 'I don't need anyone's opinion.' This my path, not theirs. I'm also known to take breaks away from the net, as my life doesn't revolve around the net. The only time I'm really on the net is to read my GED book and do some work.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »
Quote from: DashesAgainst;113858
As I understand it, Selene is the moon itself incarnate, and a (primeval) Titan goddess.  
Artemis is also a moon goddess, in that the moon falls under her domain along with hunting, wildlife, childbirth and young girls.

The same could be said for Helios - he is the sun incarnate, and a Titan god.   Apollon is also a sun god, but he also god of prophesy, music, patron of the arts, purification, healing, plague, etc.

I look at it this way, both Apollo and Artemis are deities of light, and since the sun and moon are sources of light, they fall under their domain; whereas Helios and Selene are the sun and moon themselves, and hold no power over anything else.

Thanks for answering my question.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »

Taken from the Wikipedia.org Selene page:
"In Greek mythology, Selene (Greek Σελήνη [selɛ̌ːnɛː] 'moon';) is the goddess of the moon. She is the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia, and sister of the sun-god Helios, and of Eos, goddess of the dawn. She drives her moon chariot across the heavens. Several lovers are attributed to her in various myths, including Zeus, Pan, and the mortal Endymion. In classical times, Selene was often identified with Artemis, much as her brother, Helios, was identified with Apollo. Both Selene and Artemis were also associated with Hecate, and all three were regarded as lunar goddesses, although only Selene was regarded as the personification of the moon itself. Her Roman equivalent is Luna.[1]"

Taken from the Artemis Wikipedia.org page:

"In the classical period of Greek mythology, Artemis (Ancient Greek: Ἄρτεμις) was often described as the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and the twin sister of Apollo. She was the Hellenic goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity and protector of young girls, bringing and relieving disease in women; she often was depicted as a huntress carrying a bow and arrows.[5] The deer and the cypress were sacred to her. In later Hellenistic times, she even assumed the ancient role of Eileithyia in aiding childbirth"

It looks like Selene and Helios are very similar to Artemis and Apollo, but as other said Selene is the personification of the moon, whereas Artemis has other things attributed to her, but is a lunar Goddess.

Also, as someone who is exploring Heathenry, I don't see the need to make glaring, negative, and very general statements about Heathenry because it just so happened to not work out for you. I personally don't find myself drawn to Hellenism, but I don't go around making statements about other Hellenistic Pagans because it isn't what worked for me or that I had one or two disagreements with a Hellenistic pagan on another Pagan site.

You are right when you say that your path is your path, and for the most part I do agree with you, but could there be a case when you were exploring that perhaps you were taking on a title that you were not completely sure of, which could have also caused issues? I can't help but wonder if that's the case for you sometimes.

Tags: