Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Sensory Overload Rescue Kit  (Read 2220 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Sensory Overload Rescue Kit
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:45:08 pm »
[attach=CONFIG,msg161411][/attach]

I have a neurodiverse condition that means I suffer from sensory overload. I've noticed quite a lot of people on the board have similar problems so I thought I'd share my rescue kit for anyone who could use it

The picture isn't very clear but it contains:
  • Eye Mask
  • Hand Wipes
  • Ear plugs (I buy the tapered ones rather than the cylinder  shaped ones because I find them more comfortable)
  • Headphones, (which are usually attached to an auto player of some sort but if you wear them on their own  people are less likely to bother you in public spaces)
  • Sunglasses (I prefer the more wraparound types because they keep out side flickers) Also good for eye contact avoidance.
  • Unscented moisturizer
  • Strong Mints for when mouth is overwhelmed with food tastes
  • This is a little roll on vial that contains 15 ml olive oil and 7 drops of Marjoram oil, I rub it on my wrists and smell it and it really helps calm things down
  • Lip Balm, this is vanilla scented but non scented ones are available
  • Mini Rubix cube, this is just something to play with fiddle with focus on, to help calm down, avoid eye contact and help bring your edges in

I carry it all in a little bag inside my main bags, if I  can't take it all somewhere I will just carry the Marjoram vial with me

Hope this helps some people and if any one has any other ideas or advice please share
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:54:06 pm by RandallS »
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Sensory Overload Rescue Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:10:50 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;161411
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

I have a neurodiverse condition that means I suffer from sensory overload. I've noticed quite a lot of people on the board have similar problems so I thought I'd share my rescue kit for anyone who could use it

• Eye Mask
  • Hand Wipes
  • Ear plugs (I buy the tapered ones rather than the cylinder  shaped ones because I find them more comfortable)
  • Headphones, (which are usually attached to an auto player of some sort but if you wear them on their own  people are less likely to bother you in public spaces)
  • Sunglasses (I prefer the more wraparound types because they keep out side flickers) Also good for eye contact avoidance.
  • Unscented moisturizer
  • This is a little roll on vial that contains 15 ml olive oil and 7 drops of Marjoram oil, I rub it on my wrists and smell it and it really helps calm things down
  • Mini Rubix cube, this is just something to play with fiddle with focus on, to help calm down, avoid eye contact and help bring your edges in

I carry it all in a little bag inside my main bags, if I  can't take it all somewhere I will just carry the Marjoram vial with me

Hope this helps some people and if any one has any other ideas or advice please share

Wow. Awesome idea. There's some really cool ideas here.

I'm going to put together a kit like this, too. Thanks!

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:33:57 am »
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

• Eye Mask
  • Hand Wipes
  • Ear plugs (I buy the tapered ones rather than the cylinder  shaped ones because I find them more comfortable)
  • Headphones, (which are usually attached to an auto player of some sort but if you wear them on their own  people are less likely to bother you in public spaces)
  • Unscented moisturizer

I carry it all in a little bag inside my main bags, if I  can't take it all somewhere I will just carry the Marjoram vial with me

I like this a LOT. My kit would be different (I have strong negative sensory responses to lip balm, mints and hand wipes), but I would definitely include a lot of these things. I'll give some thought to exactly what. Great idea!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:29 am »
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

• Eye Mask
  • Hand Wipes
  • Unscented moisturizer

Like I said in chat...this is absolutely genius, Jake.

I've been having issues with overload lately, to the point of having to walk out on an eye exam, so I'm going to make it a priority to assemble one for myself.

A suggestion or contribution that I can make is that I've found it useful to rub a little ibuprofen topical gel into my temples and at the jaw hinges (like, the sideburn area?). It might just be something I do, but I've found that I get really tight there when I'm overloading and the discomfort can escalate the situation.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: