collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Remedies for dealing with womanly gifts  (Read 7442 times)

Karhunvatukka

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Remedies for dealing with womanly gifts
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:58 pm »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;18013
Y Any suggestions for -natural- remedies?  Is there anything that works other than pills, pills, and more pills?

~Talvi

I've had success with taking extra B vitamins in the week or so before my period.  It's a diuretic (makes you pee a lot), so it helps with bloating.  And it's arguably more "natural" than pharmaceuticals.  (It was a gynecologist who recommended this to me, by the way.)

I was also going to suggest Planned Parenthood for lowcost medical care, but I see other people already have.  They rock!

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »
Quote from: Karhunvatukka;18120

Just a warning from personal experience: if you have any family history of blood clots, be very careful with the birth control pills.

About four years ago, I went on birth control pills to help manage my menstrual-related depression. It worked well; I loved having a regular, relatively short period. I didn't get as depressed, and my migraines decreased dramatically.

Two years ago, I collapsed with multiple pulmonary embolisms. I was in ICU for over a month, had my spleen removed, and had so much clot-related damage in my intestines, they had to put in an ileostomy. (Meaning I had to poop in a bag through a hole in my side.)

It took some digging, but we've pretty much figured out that the blood clots were caused by a combination of the Pill, and the clotting disorder I'd inherited from my dad (Protein S deficiency). I was on the high end of the age bracket for it to manifest, which makes me and my mom pretty sure my being on the Pill contributed big-time.

Mind you, I'm not saying to avoid the Pill regardless of circumstance; I'm just giving a word of caution here. If there is any history of a clotting disorder, you may want to seriously consider an alternate route.

:cf:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 04:14:28 am »
Quote from: victoreia;18133
Just a warning from personal experience: if you have any family history of blood clots, be very careful with the birth control pills.

*nods*
The BCP is a drug, not a life style product some companies try to sell it as.
And like every other drug it's possible that side-effects occur.

There also are so many different types of the BCP with different ratio of the hormones in them, that one needs to check back with a doctor. (And hoping that they do their math!)

It's like with every other medication.
Painkillers have side effects too. But one is willing to take that risk, if they're in pain.

But I am really sorry, that this happened to you. :(
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:26 am »
Quote from: Karhunvatukka;18120
I've had success with taking extra B vitamins in the week or so before my period.  It's a diuretic (makes you pee a lot), so it helps with bloating.  And it's arguably more "natural" than pharmaceuticals.  (It was a gynecologist who recommended this to me, by the way.)

I was also going to suggest Planned Parenthood for lowcost medical care, but I see other people already have.  They rock!

B vitamins are a good option.  I have an anxiety disorder, and they help with that, too. I don't take vitamins on a daily basis, just try to eat stuff with the vitamins. but I can see how that would help. :)

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:20 am »
Quote from: victoreia;18133

Oh gods... I'm sorry you had to go through that... That sounds terrible.
Well, as far as I know my family doesn't have a history of blood clots.  But yeah, that's something I should make sure about.  I'm taking an anti-depressent and anti-seizure medication too (both are for my anxiety, actually)...  So, definately going to talk about how all that will affect or not.
Also, wondering if my age will affect anything...  I'm, er, 18.  (Feeling quite young admitting that!)

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 02:22:33 pm »
Quote from: Tana;18159
There also are so many different types of the BCP with different ratio of the hormones in them, that one needs to check back with a doctor. (And hoping that they do their math!)(

One could also go the no-hormone route: copper IUDs. I would've put IUDs in general, but then I realized I have the Mirena, which emits low-dose levonorgestrel (about 1/7th the strength of BCP). However, copper IUDs have none, and last up to 10 years (there are studies out there that may indicate it can last longer, since 10 years is the best guess at making sure it's still effective).

All doctors will have their opinions on IUDs, but I would seriously avoid those that out-right claim IUDs are bad, bad, bad (these are NOT the same devices that came out in the 70s) and that only women who have had birth can use them (the chances of it dislodging are higher since the cervix isn't as wide, and if your cervix is too small they can't put it in, but there are medications you can take before putting it in that dilate your cervix [which is what my doc did]).

Although... copper IUD periods tend to be heavier (although not always more painful). Mirena IUD periods are lighter and often disappear completely. I have some spotting about once a month and a bit of cramps, but that's about it. My last full-fledged period I think was about 3-5 months after I got the Mirena. Not everyone is the same, though.

This is definitely something to discuss with your doctor on whether it's right for you though (like the blood clotting issue, amongst other things).
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;18185
Oh gods... I'm sorry you had to go through that... That sounds terrible.
Well, as far as I know my family doesn't have a history of blood clots.  But yeah, that's something I should make sure about.  I'm taking an anti-depressent and anti-seizure medication too (both are for my anxiety, actually)...  So, definately going to talk about how all that will affect or not.
Also, wondering if my age will affect anything...  I'm, er, 18.  (Feeling quite young admitting that!)

Thanks; eventually the ileostomy was reversed, so my plumbing works properly again. (THANK GODS!) My mother would probably say I'm too stubborn to die. :p

Regarding age, I don't know. I was in my later 30s, which turned out to be a factor in the Protein S deficiency.

Back to remedies, I've found black tea with raspberry seems to help with the migraines I get with my period. Note "black tea with raspberry", and not raspberry herbal tea; I've found that the supposed "raspberry" teas (at least, the name brand ones you can find easily, like Celestial Seasons) really don't have much-if any-raspberry in them.  Flavored black teas can be found at some specialty tea shops.

Of course, it may be that there's not enough raspberry in the flavored tea to actually do anything medicinally, but it works for me. (I'll take a placebo if it works!)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:58 am »
Quote from: Jubes;18025
In my house  it's  hot baths', heating  pad, a bottle or three  of  mydol, lots  of chocolate and the boys  usually hide form the three of us  girls that  week. Sorry I haven't  got much more for you!

I  must admit I used to be a fan of pills, but the thing is that if I didn't take them while the pain was still small I always got a sense they didn't kick in time by the time the big pain came around. I'm no expert on pills, bu I'm sure it takes time for pills to start working and they are soo strong depending if they had time enough to go through my system before the pain got stronger then the medicine. It really depended on the type of medicine and or the strength of the pain which varied.

for me some periods are just painful cramps that are pretty mild, but still annoying to full blown unbearable. I remember when I was younger sitting on the floor of the bathroom crying out. I wasn't hurt it just that after going to the bathroom I was on my way to the sink to wash my hands, but I couldn't stand standing up any more because the pain was so bad and I remember being alone at home...damn. I havent' had too many of those in a long time now.

One thing worse then having bad cramps alone is having unbearably painful cramps with all the other symptoms. bloating is one thing, but bloating, nausea, hot then cold flashes, and unbearable cramps sometimes happening at once and ten fold, those are the worse, but I dont' think they happen often. It believe it been a few months since I had one of those periods.

I'm getting off track now.  Basically unless I feel like I really need it or I"m fine, but might want an extra boost of pain killer I will take simple tylenol especially when we don't have midol. I'm trying to do my best to focus my energy one not thinking about it at all so not to make it worse because I feel like thinking about it worsens the pain. I will try loving the spot where it hurts. Try not to get the wrong idea because it no where near where any one might be thinking. The pain always occurs in the hip area on the outside of the hips. sometimes it switches from one side or happen on both sides at once. Sometimes I feel it directly over the area of the outside of the pelvic bone.

I massage it in circles and sometimes I rock back an forth. Usuallly when I do that I do so in my room and try not to rock back and forth in public or at least try to be discrete. I dont' know why but the motion helps me. If you do it around the time it starts then by the time it gets to the worse part then I have already gotten into a meditative state. Still results vary to being able to completly ignore or just bear it better then I used to.

I still get periods where it seems no matter what I do it doesn't help, but that is either to lost of focus or just too much pain. I think it takes many years of practice to master the art of mind over matter. Seriously there have been times that I have been awoken from deep sleep when I learn my period has started so I know for sure that if I'm not aware it is coming and therefore it is not on my mind then there are cases where it is the pain that can truly disrupt my peace of mind. I mean I am literally in a deep sleep where not even thunder can wake me but pain can, out of now where.
R03e

Tags: