collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Health: Period Woes and Weirdness Ranting and Commiseration thread  (Read 15671 times)

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Period Woes and Weirdness Ranting and Commiseration thread
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2014, 11:53:00 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;168140
I used to have that app! I now have an app called Clue - it's set up a little oddly but for a free app, it doesn't hound with me with adds or prompts to set up an account.

My period has started back up. I had a miscarriage earlier this year and I hadn't had a period since then. Well it is back with a vengeance and it came back tonight... While I was a Christmas party of course.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2014, 04:33:13 am »
Quote from: Olivia;168158
My period has started back up. I had a miscarriage earlier this year and I hadn't had a period since then. Well it is back with a vengeance and it came back tonight... While I was a Christmas party of course.

{{{{{{Olivia}}}}}} for the miscarriage. And for the unscheduled party "visitor".
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;167840
Grrr. I know, I need to remember not to touch my face, especially when I am bored at work, but c'mon skin! Get yourself together!

Note: Ummm dont read if hearing about pimple fluid grosses you out. Seriously.

Sometimes what I do is take a really, really hot cloth (not hot enough to burn yourself of course!) and hold it to the pimple. Repeat the process when the cloth gets cool. It helps draw blood to the site and pull away the fluid. Not a miracle worker but its helped me some.

Otherwise I've heard a less scabby way to deal with a cystic pimple is to use a sanitized pin or needle to "break" the skin and you allow it all to gently come out. That way the broken skin heals better.

YMMV of course!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2014, 10:16:25 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;168205

Sometimes what I do is take a really, really hot cloth (not hot enough to burn yourself of course!) and hold it to the pimple. Repeat the process when the cloth gets cool. It helps draw blood to the site and pull away the fluid. Not a miracle worker but its helped me some.

Otherwise I've heard a less scabby way to deal with a cystic pimple is to use a sanitized pin or needle to "break" the skin and you allow it all to gently come out. That way the broken skin heals better.

YMMV of course!

Yup! I also use ice cubes to lessen the redness and swelling. Works like a slow charm.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2014, 06:50:15 pm »

I get these on my inner thighs sometimes, and I've done this since there's too much flesh there to squeeze properly. Works great, the major downside is of course that you're stabbing yourself in a sensitive area.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2014, 01:10:10 am »

YMMV of course!

Hanging this here...

I've had good luck with using green clay packs (made to the consistency of yogurt) to draw the infection to the surface. I lay a little square of gauze over the lump, apply a generous daub of clay mud, then cover with a waterproof bandage or plastic wrap held with medical tape.

Leave on for several hours or overnight.  Peel off, rinse, inspect area. If you need to repeat the process, let your skin air out for a bit before applying a new pack.

It works very well in combination with heat packs.  I've had success with using clay in circumstances when everything else failed.

Also, crushed kitty litter (bentonite) can be used in place of hoity-toity green clay when making a clay pack. Just be aware that it is more drying to the skin.  I've used  bentonite goop to draw out a deep infection in my husband's arm and it worked like gangbusters.

Like all things, your mileage might vary. Also, I am not a doctor etc etc etc.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;168316
I get these on my inner thighs sometimes, and I've done this since there's too much flesh there to squeeze properly. Works great, the major downside is of course that you're stabbing yourself in a sensitive area.

I usually just stick a band-aid over the ones on my inner thighs (also called cycling pimples).  Never thought about stabbing them.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2014, 06:44:49 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;168338
I usually just stick a band-aid over the ones on my inner thighs (also called cycling pimples).  Never thought about stabbing them.

Heh, and I never thought of putting a bandaid on them :) I only do it for especially large/gross/painful ones that I want gone quickly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:31 am »
Quote from: Allaya;168325
Hanging this here...

I've had good luck with using green clay packs (made to the consistency of yogurt) to draw the infection to the surface. I lay a little square of gauze over the lump, apply a generous daub of clay mud, then cover with a waterproof bandage or plastic wrap held with medical tape.

Leave on for several hours or overnight.  Peel off, rinse, inspect area. If you need to repeat the process, let your skin air out for a bit before applying a new pack.

It works very well in combination with heat packs.  I've had success with using clay in circumstances when everything else failed.

Also, crushed kitty litter (bentonite) can be used in place of hoity-toity green clay when making a clay pack. Just be aware that it is more drying to the skin.  I've used  bentonite goop to draw out a deep infection in my husband's arm and it worked like gangbusters.

Like all things, your mileage might vary. Also, I am not a doctor etc etc etc.

Clay definitely works! It helps dry out the pimple and definitely make it less "oh my god why are you inflamed and HURT so badly". I also use a sulphur mask (it has clay in it I believe) as a spot treatment for ones on my face. I think the strongest you can get without a prescription is either one by Murad, or the Walmart store brand. There was one stronger than Murad and Walmart-store-brand but I believe they discontinued it. (Just going off memory here from being on a beauty/make-up board, and discussing spot treatments, so I may be a bit off. Also double-check! :) And it's what convinced me to try out sulphur with some moderate success so far!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:31:09 am by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: