Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Health: Healthy Challenge, Winter 2018/19  (Read 14697 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Healthy Challenge, Winter 2018/19
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 10:59:00 am »

I'm checking in;

So, I've been getting about 8 hours every night, but the last three days have been rough due to illness. I've been totally diverted from my normal sleep schedule (~8 PM - ~4AM) and have been sleeping till almost 10:00 AM! I'm worried that once I'm feeling well, it's gonna make it hard for me to get back to sleeping the hours I actually want to sleep.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 06:56:05 pm »
I'm checking in;

The weekly fish thing is going really well, especially since I bought a fresh roll of aluminum foil (the right tool for the right job LOL). The eggs, not so much: I'm starting to think my digestion is sensitive to them. Either that or I have cross-contamination problems. I think I need to add a resolution: to wash my dishes properly and in a timely manner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2019, 06:51:37 pm »

Checking in, but it's not going well - the cold has been putting me off doing anything (too cold to face getting in the swimming pool on a Thursday in particular, but also because we're struggling to heat our home in the current cold snap I can't face getting down on the rug where it's draughty to do my pilates/yoga videos either).

How about other peeps?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:08 pm »
How about other peeps?

I run outside, and as I said to my co-workers when I announced I was working from home on Thursday, "I don't do single digits." So yeah, the extreme cold snap has definitely been a hurdle for me in my quest for a Slenderella waistline.

BUT I've tried to compensate: I knocked some calories out of my diet, knowing I wouldn't be as active as usual; and despite my aversion to the cold (I really hate it!) I forced myself to go to the gym, so that I was getting at least some kind of exercise if I wasn't running. (Plus, after losing weeks at the gym due to my lower back injury, I wasn't going to lose any more just when I'm starting to get back into it.)

So I'm actually doing OK. I'd say I'm back to where my waist size was before the holiday overeating and the layoff from the gym from the injury. All things considered, not a bad place to be.

Now I just have to push past that to a whole new level of fat loss.

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2019, 08:45:30 pm »
Checking in, but it's not going well - the cold has been putting me off doing anything (too cold to face getting in the swimming pool on a Thursday in particular, but also because we're struggling to heat our home in the current cold snap I can't face getting down on the rug where it's draughty to do my pilates/yoga videos either).

Layer on the sweats, Pickle, and hit that drafty floor! Don't think about the cold; think about where you want to be physically when it gets warm again.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2019, 07:05:07 pm »
I said to my co-workers when I announced I was working from home on Thursday, "I don't do single digits." So yeah, the extreme cold snap has definitely been a hurdle for me in my quest for a Slenderella waistline.

I keep having to remind myself that you Fahrenheit people mean something different when you say that.  :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 10:06:15 am »
I keep having to remind myself that you Fahrenheit people mean something different when you say that.  :P

I use Celsius in my classroom and in my personal life, despite many telling me to use Fahrenheit. So I totally understand this.

Update: Currently, I've been stalling on going back to the gym, mostly due to a persistent, non-productive cough. Doctor told me it's due to dry air and not getting enough fluids. Have been trying to drink more fluids as of late, and it does help, but I still have it. On Thursday night, it turned into a fever, and finally a productive cough, and I think my body is overcoming it, but gah. I miss being in the gym.

As for diet, we're discovering new recipes and mainstays for our transition to Mediterranean Diet/Lifestyle. Breakfast has turned from quick bodega stuff to making hardboiled eggs, Greek yogurt with dried fruits/nuts, and/or some fruit. Still working on Lunch, but Dinner has  a few mainstays: one sheet salmon with roasted veggies; mixed salad with apples and lemon dressing, and baked chicken.

Main issue with the diet is finding recipes that aren't going to break the bank. It also doesn't help that hubby has anxiety and stress eats so... there's that.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 12:11:03 pm »
How about other peeps?

I'm behind after being out of commission with various life things for two weeks.  8/30 strength training sessions done so far.  I'm hoping to add another session the tally tomorrow, assuming I can get more than two hours sleep tonight.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2019, 02:35:07 pm »
I'm behind after being out of commission with various life things for two weeks.  8/30 strength training sessions done so far.  I'm hoping to add another session the tally tomorrow, assuming I can get more than two hours sleep tonight.

Slightly behind due to a few weather-related migraines.  Today's lap swimming workout got cut short (thankfully only by about 15 minutes) to go and be detained in concrete room while dripping wet and shivering, with about 20 other dripping wet and shivering, confused people, for over 40 minutes.  They never did explain why, but as far as I could tell from the little bit I could see of what went on, the likeliest scenario is that some asshat decided to phone in a fake bomb threat and they had to have Police and Fire Dept search the lockers.  Could have been worse but definitely sucked.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 08:24:20 am »
Update us here in this thread periodically on your progress

One month to go! Chime in, people!

I'm doing pretty well, considering I just had my annual junk food weekend (don't ask; for anyone health conscious, it's appalling). The thing is, "pretty well" won't cut it! So for the next month it's double-down time, with a singular focus on trimming the waistline. Nothing but salads for me for a while!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:56 pm »

I'm still sick. The cold I got in January has persisted, and the productive cough has gotten much worse. I'm not sleeping much, with the constant coughing fits. If it's not better by the end of the month I'm going to my doctor to see if it's pneumonia or just a really bad case of bronchitis.

On the plus side I've made more than my steps pretty much every day because work has me going back and forth, back and forth all day.

But yeah, my healthy challenge is being put on indefinite hold until I am free of this illness, because I'm barely functioning on my days off.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:32 pm »

Way of track right now, only getting like 5hrs of sleep most nights. Cats have been sick and I've had a lot of drama at home due to recent events, and I just can't bloody sleep.  :-[

Bought some ear-plugs and a new pillow today though, might be enough to keep the insomnia at bay...
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 07:18:44 am »
I'm still sick. The cold I got in January has persisted, and the productive cough has gotten much worse. I'm not sleeping much, with the constant coughing fits. If it's not better by the end of the month I'm going to my doctor to see if it's pneumonia or just a really bad case of bronchitis.

On the plus side I've made more than my steps pretty much every day because work has me going back and forth, back and forth all day.

But yeah, my healthy challenge is being put on indefinite hold until I am free of this illness, because I'm barely functioning on my days off.

MEND, Morag! Sending healing vibes.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 07:21:07 am »
Way of track right now, only getting like 5hrs of sleep most nights. Cats have been sick and I've had a lot of drama at home due to recent events, and I just can't bloody sleep.  :-[

Knowing what's going on in your life from your other thread, I can only imagine.

Redouble your efforts on sleep! Now more than ever it will likely do you a world of good. The earplugs sound (pun intended) like a good idea.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »

I'm doing pretty good with eating fish, though I can't tell if it's having any positive effects. I scrimped with a tuna casserole ... and then splurged on sushi. :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: