Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Health: Healthy Challenge, Winter 2018/19  (Read 14700 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Healthy Challenge, Winter 2018/19
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:37:03 pm »
It's been a good long time since we as a group took up one of these, so let's see who wants to commit to a healthy challenge for Winter 2018/19.

The idea is:

to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

HINT: Pick a goal that's specific, measurable, and attainable

• Beginning with the impending solstice, strive to achieve your goal by the equinox on March 21
  • Update us here in this thread periodically on your progress

Up All Night (for those of us participating for all or part of the evening of Dec. 21) may play havoc with the first day, but that's OK; there'll still be 3 months to do the work, whatever health/fitness goal you choose. Who's in?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:33:09 pm by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Healthy Challenge, Winter 2018/19
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:36:06 pm »
Who's in?

I'm in!

Goal: thirty 30-minute strength training sessions during the season (with a sub-goal of doing more with the power tower than just giving it the side-eye). 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:14 pm »
The idea is:

to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

• Beginning with the impending solstice, strive to achieve your goal by the equinox on March 21

I am so in, this sounds like fun!

Goooal: I am going to strive to record my diet and water intake for the period stated and use that info to improve upon both by drawing up healthy meal plans :D (Sticking to the meal plan will probably be a goal from the March Equinox to the Summer Solstice :P )

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:20:53 am »
Who's in?

Obviously I'm in! But since my goal is about trimming my waistline (an ongoing effort; I'm doing well, but I'd like to hit my best yet just in time for my 35th college reunion...because I'm vain!), I have to find the tape measure buried at the bottom of a drawer somewhere before I can post the specific goal.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »
It's been a good long time since we as a group took up one of these, so let's see who wants to commit to a healthy challenge for Winter 2018/19.

The idea is:

Up All Night (for those of us participating for all or part of the evening of Dec. 21) may play havoc with the first day, but that's OK; there'll still be 3 months to do the work, whatever health/fitness goal you choose. Who's in?
I’m in.

30 minutes at least 4 days a week on the elliptical, and by the end if January adding in some light strength training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 05:55:07 pm »

I'm aiming to eat fish or eggs at least once a week. They taste better than vitamin pills :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »
I'm aiming to eat fish or eggs at least once a week. They taste better than vitamin pills :)

Excellent! So we've got you, Sefiru; Aisling, LadyBug, Owl, and me. Anybody else, chime in in the next day or two.

Still haven't found that damn tape measure, but I know enough about where I am now and what my body type is to know that a 32-inch waist is an ambitious but achievable goal. So that's where I need to end up by the start of spring on March 21.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:29:01 pm »
Excellent! So we've got you, Sefiru; Aisling, LadyBug, Owl, and me. Anybody else, chime in in the next day or two.

Still haven't found that damn tape measure, but I know enough about where I am now and what my body type is to know that a 32-inch waist is an ambitious but achievable goal. So that's where I need to end up by the start of spring on March 21.

I have a few, really.  One is to get back into my favorite vintage suit, which I last wore in 2014:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nF8NVxBNSdXi7qEu5

That means roughly a 3 1/2 inch waist reduction, but I obviously have been that size before without doing too much to make it happen.

Also, while ideally this won't take until March( though I suspect it might), my sifu says if I work on my conditioning, he expects I should be able to break my first 1-inch board by mid-late January.

Finally, I want to limit fast-food consumption to once a week or less ( though if I don't find a job soon, I really won't have a choice anyway).

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 07:45:05 am »
I have a few, really.  One is to get back into my favorite vintage suit, which I last wore in 2014:

That suit is GORGEOUS! I look forward to your "I DID IT" photo! :D

I'm so excited! Its fun to have a group of people holding one accountable :D I think I'll be going to find a binder and some paper for my Food Journal today <3

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:58 am »

Nice! And welcome to the effort, Ashmire!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »

Love it!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:05 pm »
Also, while ideally this won't take until March( though I suspect it might), my sifu says if I work on my conditioning, he expects I should be able to break my first 1-inch board by mid-late January.

Yeah, those are fun! Protip, if you're buying your own boards: even 'unfinished' wood sometimes comes with a coat of varnish, which makes it harder to break. I learned that one the hard way ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 02:40:37 am »
Who's in?

I really want to be in on this, so here we go.

I want to restart my workout regime of going to the gym at 5:30 AM four times a week after the holiday season (mid January). At the same time, once I'm back home, I'm going to start meal-prepping for my hubby and I to help with our body weight goals of him losing 20 lbs by November 2019 and me going down in my body fat percentage from 18% down to hopefully 15% (gotta redo the math on that though)
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »
I'm in!

Goal: thirty 30-minute strength training sessions during the season (with a sub-goal of doing more with the power tower than just giving it the side-eye).

Off to a slow start, but the first of 30 sessions is done.   Almost to goal, right?

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 09:07:29 am »
a 32-inch waist is an ambitious but achievable goal. So that's where I need to end up by the start of spring on March 21.

Beginning of 2019 Update:

I took 2 weeks off from my usual workout regimen, as I usually do this time of year (the body needs periodic rest, and besides, it gets too busy around the holidays).

But now at the end of 2 weeks when I'm ready to get back to training and my waistline goal, somehow I've managed to hurt my lower back! Super annoying, because if I'm going to injure myself, it might as well be exercising...but instead my back goes haywire through some unknown method when I'm *not* at the gym. Grrrr...

I'm determined that this be only a temporary setback. With luck, I'll be chasing that goal again shortly.

Everybody else, check in!

Tags: