Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015  (Read 16121 times)

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;174031
I fell off the wagon and bumped myself hard this last couple of weeks.

Another one who fell off the wagon over here. Haven't been exercising less, technically, but I wasn't exactly doing a lot to begin with and I haven't really been moving towards my goal.

Plus my diet has basically been toast for a week. Not exactly the healthiest thing ever. :U

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2015, 05:50:06 am »
Quote from: DemeterDelusion;174119
Another one who fell off the wagon over here. Haven't been exercising less, technically, but I wasn't exactly doing a lot to begin with and I haven't really been moving towards my goal.

Plus my diet has basically been toast for a week. Not exactly the healthiest thing ever. :U

I got back on the wagon this week. I've been getting up early to workout before the kids get up and I'm feeling good!

My diet will take a hit this weekend though as we're staying with my in-laws and they're feeders lol

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;174225
I got back on the wagon this week. I've been getting up early to workout before the kids get up and I'm feeling good!

*claps*  Way to go!

I am moving in the right direction again myself. The walker has again been packed away and replaced by the cane.  I've managed to get around the house today without the cane, so hopefully that will also soon be a thing of the past.  The trails are calling... and I must hike.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »
Quote from: Altair;172734

update us here in this thread periodically on your progress

I'm slowly emerging from my spring songbird madness, now that the migration is winding down and my avian obsession is no longer monopolizing my time. So I figured I'd revive this thread and our respective goals, and with a month to go, see where we stand.

I haven't been to the gym in a month, haven't been running, and haven't been commuting by bike (all ramifications of my migration schedule)...but this happens every year, so it is what it is. The good news is that I didn't overeat in the interim, so I don't think I've lost ground on the waistline struggle.

So after Memorial Day I'll planning to return to my usual regimen, gradually, and see if I can't make a 32-inch waist happen by June 21.

How do the rest of you stand?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 08:45:56 am »
Quote from: Altair;175238

In terms of actually exercising, completely fell off the wagon. Haven't been downstairs to the home gym in over a month. BUT. I have a new job that's fairly active, and I do walk to/from work (it's 0.9 miles) about half the time.

And even though it's a sandwich shop, I've been eating nothing but salads the past few weeks. So it hasn't been a total waste.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:32 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;175268
In terms of actually exercising, completely fell off the wagon. Haven't been downstairs to the home gym in over a month. BUT. I have a new job that's fairly active, and I do walk to/from work (it's 0.9 miles) about half the time.

And even though it's a sandwich shop, I've been eating nothing but salads the past few weeks. So it hasn't been a total waste.

I've been sticking to the "only buy a small pack of baccy for gaming" rule well.  On Tuesday, I cunningly managed to cut down on how much of it I smoked by crashing rollies to E all night.  (Which admittedly means that my own health is sorta coming at the expense of hers.  But she isn't giving up anyway, so if I wasn't she'd just have smoked her own).
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;175268

That's not a waste at all. You're watching what you eat, and walking is great; since you're doing it half the time as it is, see if you can increase that frequency a bit.

I am going to hold your feet to the fire, however (hey, that's the point of the thread) by throwing your own goals back at you:

"- Stop eating so much junk food (mainly sugary goodness) and start eating healthy. I used to eat so much better but moving into my own apartment has completely destroyed that aspect. We're now all too broke to enjoy any kind of fresh food.

"- Lose my "3 months pregnant" tummy. I'm not nor have ever been pregnant, so this really digs into my self-esteem when friends and family ask if I'm "expecting."

"- Actually get fit so I don't huff and puff climbing one flight of stairs. I live on the second floor. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is."

It sounds like you're sticking to the first one. How are you doing on numbers 2 and 3?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;175270
I've been sticking to the "only buy a small pack of baccy for gaming" rule well.  On Tuesday, I cunningly managed to cut down on how much of it I smoked by crashing rollies to E all night.

I *think* I understand this. Though subtitles would help. ;)

So...well done.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
Quote from: Altair;175280
I *think* I understand this. Though subtitles would help. ;)

So...well done.

Hah, sorry, I go proper Northern English when talking about smoking.  ;)

("E" isn't English slang, in case anybody was wondering.  I use initials when talking about my friends so I'm not throwing their names around without permission).
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:21 pm »
Quote from: Altair;175238

I'd forgotten about this thread, actually. :o

I've fallen behind, though not too badly. My total logged practice time is 18h 20m. I can lock my arms into Cow Face Pose without a strap, although I'm no closer to full Lotus than I was at the beginning.

Next week is half-term, and the family will be going to visit the grandparents. I don't get the week off, so I'll be home alone. The chances of going home spa & boot camp vs. pizza and movie marathon are honestly 50-50.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;175286
I'd forgotten about this thread, actually. :o

I've fallen behind, though not too badly. My total logged practice time is 18h 20m. I can lock my arms into Cow Face Pose without a strap, although I'm no closer to full Lotus than I was at the beginning.

Next week is half-term, and the family will be going to visit the grandparents. I don't get the week off, so I'll be home alone. The chances of going home spa & boot camp vs. pizza and movie marathon are honestly 50-50.

Trying to stick to a more steady yoga schedule.

Reducing the amount of chemicals I put in/on my body on a regular basis (going no poo and looking to more herbal or kitchen-made beauty products).

Eating better. We always cook our own food from scratch (well, almost always), but we drink a lot of soda and not enough veggies, fruits or healthy snacks in general.

Spending more time outside in the natural air instead of just going to work and then coming home and hiding out indoors until work cycles around again.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2015, 06:06:02 pm »
The idea is:

• to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

HINT: Pick a goal that's specific, measurable, and attainable

• beginning with the impending equinox, strive for achieve your goal by the solstice on June 21
  • update us here in this thread periodically on your progress
I think we pagans sometimes don't spend enough time keeping ourselves in better shape; we'd rather curl up with a good esoteric tome than do dumbbell curls. So let's buck the trend--and no, everyone doesn't have to turn into gym rats (though if that's your calling, as it is for me, then cool); just pick a goal that's appropriate for you and your lifestyle and what you want to achieve health wise.

Ahem.

Well, I've been avoiding the Cauldron a wee bit so that I wouldn't have to admit my own failure. (What? The solstice has come and gone already, and this check-in should have happened days ago?? It must have slipped my mind...)

Anyway, I just figured I'd encourage folks to check in, so we can cheer for those who reached their goals, and commiserate with each other for those of us who didn't. And in both cases, maybe learn a thing or two from our experiences.

Here's mine:

I didn't reach my goal of restoring a long-ago 32-inch waist; BUT I take comfort in the fact that I did slim down, even though I didn't make it all the way.

What I learned from this experience:
  • Set achievable goals--Aiming for a 32-inch waist was too ambitious, and at age 52 may be permanently in my rear [correction: ample rear]view mirror...unless I'm willing to sacrifice hard-earned muscle while I'm at it, which I'm not willing to do. And give up the occasional chocolate, which is also so not happening.
  • Don't embark on a regimen during a time period when you know there's going to be a major life upheaval--in my case, that being the spring songbird migration, for which everything--exercise, proper diet, and most of all, sleep--gets turned upside down.
  • Event motivators are more effective than time motivators--Knowing I'm going to have to be in a swimsuit for a beach party on the 4th of July is a lot more motivating than a randomly selected date for reaching said goal
  • Inspiration works!--I went to Broadway Bares this past weekend, where hot-bodied chorus boys and girls strip burlesque-style to raise money to fight AIDS; with those lean, lithe, sexy images burned into my brain, and craving a little bit of their swagger for myself, it became a lot easier to downsize that bag of popcorn at the movies.
Any triumphs, tragedies, or lessons learned you care to share?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:06:37 pm by Altair »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2015, 09:27:51 pm »
Quote from: Altair;176471
Last edited by Altair; Yesterday at 04:06 PM. Reason: FIXED quoting

A Reminder:
Hi, Altair,

Nooo, you didn't. Still no trackback quote code, which is what we most want.

That said, it's enough of a 'reply to the thread as a whole' that, once you'd goofed in the first place, you could have just left it quoteless.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:55 am »
Quote from: Altair;176471
Any triumphs, tragedies, or lessons learned you care to share?

I haven't been totally consistent about doing arm exercises, but I've been consistent enough that I'm actually seeing results!  And that's enough motivation to continue. ;-)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:55 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;172807
Im in!

I have more than one goal - hope that's ok!

- cement my new workout routine of getting up early on week days to work out and add walks as the weather and kids allow.

- keep my eating habits under control. Let go of the junk food that makes me feel so rubbish but I eat anyway.

- lose 1 stone.

Well, I've had mixed results.

- I have a regular routine of getting up at 6am to workout before the kids get up. I'm pretty good at sticking to it unless there's a good reason to get the extra sleep.  I've also been fitting in plenty of walks.

- I'm not entirely there yet with the eating habits. I'm doing better all the time but there's still junk food creeping in, especially when I'm stressed.

- the scale hasn't budged much but I have definitely slimmed a bit. My clothes are loose enough that I've had to replace some and people keep commenting on how I must have lost weight. I've been doing a pretty intense exercise programme so I'm thinking that I may have lost fat and gained muscle.

So, overall I'm not where I had hoped to be. I am, however, making progress and I'm pleased with that. I'm definitely stronger. I can do more push-ups than I could 3 months ago. I can carry my toddler further. I can dangle from the pull-up bar for longer. My stamina has increased. My skin is clear. My eyes are bright. I look healthy. There's more to life than what the scale says.

Tags: