collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Health: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015  (Read 12349 times)

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:42:03 am »
Quote from: Altair;172904
That’s excellent, Queen of Wands, Aster, Rocquelaire, Amphibian, Darkhawk, Jabberwocky, Missgraceless, and Ian288! (Darkhawk, I didn’t see a personal goal in your post, so I’m not sure if you’re joining us or not…) We still have a few days before our official kickoff of the March 21 equinox, so we’ll see who else signs up by then.

In the meantime, this thread is already keeping me honest. I had some cottage cheese and a handful of peanuts when I got to the office today—my usual mid-morning snack—and I was about to grab a second handful of peanuts, but then I remembered my pledge here to tame my waistline, and I passed.

So here’s to this effort having the desired effect on everyone!

-Hanging this here to celebrate having done my first fifteen minutes!-

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;172861
While I'm going to keep my rule of "allowed to smoke proper rollups rather then e-cigs at RPG/LARPs in the pub (which is five times a month), I am going to stop allowing that to mean "deliberately buy enough tobacco so that stretches over a 3-4 day period" and move back to e-cigs the rest of the time.

In terms of keeping myself honest, I'll note that RPG night is Tuesdays and LARP night is one Saturday every one or two months.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »
Quote from: Altair;172734
Who's with me?

I'm in.

My ultimate goal is to complete a one-mile hike, unaided, by the end of the season.  I'm recovering from leg surgery that's expected to take a few months to fully heal, so it's going to take a bit of work to get there.

My first set of sub-goals:
  • Transition from using a walker to a cane.
  • Continue current PT exercises until I can bend my knee to 90 degrees with minimal pain.
  • Walk to the mail box and back every day, until I can do so without significant pain or needing to stop to rest.
Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;172969
-Hanging this here to celebrate having done my first fifteen minutes!-

Kudos, Ian!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:11 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;172864
- Stop eating so much junk food (mainly sugary goodness) and start eating healthy. I used to eat so much better but moving into my own apartment has completely destroyed that aspect. We're now all too broke to enjoy any kind of fresh food.

- Lose my "3 months pregnant" tummy. I'm not nor have ever been pregnant, so this really digs into my self-esteem when friends and family ask if I'm "expecting."

- Actually get fit so I don't huff and puff climbing one flight of stairs. I live on the second floor. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is.

And my boyfriend is working on losing weight/getting in shape, too, so we're actually kinda helping each other. Kinda being the key word.

After talking it over with the boyfriend, here are my revised goals:

1. Get on a regular, HEALTHY diet/eating habits before I:
2. Start exercising regularly (cardio and some minor weight lifting)

I can only focus on one thing at a time, so diet first. Then when that becomes habit (about a month later), I can actually start properly exercising.

I think my ultimate goal is to lose* 20 pounds by the solstice. That's doable in 3 months, right?

*Well if I stay the same weight but lose fat/gain muscle, then that'd be okay too.

ETA: I got approved for food stamps (governmental assistance that pays for food for those who don't know), so that's gonna make this whole process A LOT easier. And it takes some strain off our already severely limited finances.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:43:17 pm by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
Quote from: Aisling;172981
I'm in.

My ultimate goal is to complete a one-mile hike, unaided, by the end of the season.  I'm recovering from leg surgery that's expected to take a few months to fully heal, so it's going to take a bit of work to get there.

My first set of sub-goals:
  • Transition from using a walker to a cane.
  • Continue current PT exercises until I can bend my knee to 90 degrees with minimal pain.
  • Walk to the mail box and back every day, until I can do so without significant pain or needing to stop to rest.

:thup:

I know in my knee experience, PT gave me boss lower body strength - we're talking solid legs. Although, being able to bend the knee and walk places took time, the end result was awesome!

- my accomplishment today was completing a first week of exercise and getting through the entirety of the Jane Fonda ab exercises without stopping. But I went easy on myself this week...didn't want to risk an injury first day back! No excuses now: I've got prospective employers who want to see how I tumble and fight for a show and I'm going to need the next two weeks to make sure I can bring it. :)

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;173044

But I went easy on myself this week...didn't want to risk an injury first day back!

Injury is the enemy. I'm trying to be more careful with this 52-year-old body; like today, doing deadlifts at the gym, I didn't max out the weights, because I've injured my lower back before. Nothing will set back your progress and crush your workout plans (not to mention make once simple tasks a gigantic pain, literally) than an injury.

No excuses now: I've got prospective employers who want to see how I tumble and fight for a show and I'm going to need the next two weeks to make sure I can bring it. :)

Uh...what the heck is the job description? Stunt double for Scarlett Johannsen as Black Widow??
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
Who's with me?

Love it. I have the 7min Superhero Workout app (there's actually 2-3 sections of 7min workouts) and the Zombies Run app.

1. Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday I will do ~20min Superhero Workout (this should be one full mission).
2. Saturday and Sunday I will jog/run 20-30min with Zombies Run.
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »
Quote from: Mivi;173123
Love it. I have the 7min Superhero Workout app (there's actually 2-3 sections of 7min workouts) and the Zombies Run app.

1. Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday I will do ~20min Superhero Workout (this should be one full mission).
2. Saturday and Sunday I will jog/run 20-30min with Zombies Run.

I want to try out that Zombies Run app so badly, you don't even know. Curse my lack of a smartphone.

Seems like a great way to get into running, at any rate! :)

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:13 am »
Quote from: DemeterDelusion;173124
I want to try out that Zombies Run app so badly, you don't even know. Curse my lack of a smartphone.

Seems like a great way to get into running, at any rate! :)

I actually hate running and don't like being outside unless it's super nice, so I just put on a show on TV and jog in place in my room lol. But it's still a good way to get up from the computer.
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 09:18:04 am »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;173044
- my accomplishment today was completing a first week of exercise and getting through the entirety of the Jane Fonda ab exercises without stopping.

It's before the solstice...but I still went and did things. Saturday involved a bike ride from my house down to the local university, and back after I helped grading a math competition.  It started raining on the way home, so I got pleasantly soggy.  Google says it was about five miles, round trip.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »
Quote from: Altair;173046

Uh...what the heck is the job description? Stunt double for Scarlett Johannsen as Black Widow??

That would be the dream job! :) This would be a stage combat gig for a steampunk faire (!?).

I think I typed too soon though... *grumble* I've spent the last two days flat on my back, sipping tea. Ugh...sickness is the worst. I'll be back on my feet and hopefully tumbling again in a few days but I feel like yuck right now.

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:07 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;173138
It's before the solstice...but I still went and did things. Saturday involved a bike ride from my house down to the local university, and back after I helped grading a math competition.  It started raining on the way home, so I got pleasantly soggy.  Google says it was about five miles, round trip.

That's the way to do it (and what I've been doing, too)--why wait for the equinox to get started?

Anyway, T-minus 5 days until our official kickoff, folks. Get ready!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:27 am »
Who's with me?

My goals are:

- hit 160 lbs
- be able to lift the cat up for more than five minutes without getting tired :D
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:46 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;173196
My goals are:

- hit 160 lbs
- be able to lift the cat up for more than five minutes without getting tired :D
I'm curious, how big is your kitty that it gets you so tired?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tags: