Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Having Self- Esteem While Fat  (Read 14316 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Having Self- Esteem While Fat
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »
Quote from: Owl;99917
My tubal was in 1989, and by that time (if you weren't opened up for a c-section) the made 2 small slits in your abdomen and did the procedure with tiny instruments slipped in (I'm sure there's and official tern for this but I don't speak medical).

Laparoscopic surgery?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Quote from: Dark Waters;99921
Hmmm ... the procedure has come quite a ways then. Images I saw a while back showed the woman being opened as much as for a C-section. But they are always making advancements.

Did you still have to go under general anesthesia? That was the big concern for the hospital when I had surgery a while back. Just being put under, you had to sign off on the risk that you might not wake up due to some adverse reactions.

They can (usually?) do tubals with a spinal block now.  It's more dangerous than the local anesthetic my husband got during his vasectomy, but it's a lot less so than general anesthetic.

The vast majority of C-sections are done the same way, by the way.  General anesthetic is only used for emergencies, when typical, small incisions aren't sufficient.

Brina

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2013, 08:59:53 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;99923
Laparoscopic surgery?

Yes.  I can talk about cash flow and taxes all day, but medical terms escape me!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2013, 07:25:23 am »
Quote from: Dark Waters;99921
Hmmm ... the procedure has come quite a ways then. Images I saw a while back showed the woman being opened as much as for a C-section. But they are always making advancements.

Did you still have to go under general anesthesia? That was the big concern for the hospital when I had surgery a while back. Just being put under, you had to sign off on the risk that you might not wake up due to some adverse reactions.

Yes I was under general anesthesia, but again, ectopic pregnancy.  Not a simple tubal.  The goal was to get it done NOW before it killed me.

Dark Waters

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2013, 07:47:57 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;100300
Yes I was under general anesthesia, but again, ectopic pregnancy.  Not a simple tubal.  The goal was to get it done NOW before it killed me.

Well, I am glad it didn't.
I\'m living in the Shadows and the Night, wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon\'s fragile light, it frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;100300

It could also be pointed out that yours was a particularly severe case, too, which may have been part of why they did it that way. Treating my ectopic, because it was caught so early, was a matter of injecting methotrexate, rather than surgery. (Which my doctor had to refer me to PP for, because that clinic had a strict no-abortion rule, even when medically necessary.)
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:27 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;100345
It could also be pointed out that yours was a particularly severe case, too, which may have been part of why they did it that way. Treating my ectopic, because it was caught so early, was a matter of injecting methotrexate, rather than surgery. (Which my doctor had to refer me to PP for, because that clinic had a strict no-abortion rule, even when medically necessary.)

Well yes, mine had ruptured.  it was remove it or bye-bye Shad.

I'm glad it didn't kill me too. :)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;100354
Well yes, mine had ruptured.  it was remove it or bye-bye Shad.

I'm glad it didn't kill me too. :)

((((Shad)))))

So am I.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

_Willow_

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2013, 10:43:15 am »
Quote from: Catherine;37035
Hi everyone,
I wanted to bring this topic over from the old board because it was a good discussion and contains some great links. Thanks to Sunflower for starting it.

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=15389.0

Am Obese but i also have an eating disorder called EDNOS  
I restrict eat as low as 500 calories some day and as high as 1000 calories other days
some times less than that
I also binge sometimes as well but that hardly ever happens
My self esteem is really bad so much so i hate myself for being this fat
i have self injured because i feel this way  and felt suicidal as well

I dont think ill ever feel comfortable about my body
My husband says he likes me just the way i am

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:09 am »
Quote from: DarkAsylum;112555
Am Obese but i also have an eating disorder called EDNOS  
I restrict eat as low as 500 calories some day and as high as 1000 calories other days
some times less than that
I also binge sometimes as well but that hardly ever happens
My self esteem is really bad so much so i hate myself for being this fat
i have self injured because i feel this way  and felt suicidal as well

I dont think ill ever feel comfortable about my body
My husband says he likes me just the way i am

*hugs* I'm sorry to hear all that. Are you able to get professional help?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

_Willow_

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
Quote from: Sage;112556
*hugs* I'm sorry to hear all that. Are you able to get professional help?

Am getting help for the self injure and suicidal thoughts but not for the eating disorder
I asked my dr if i could see a nutritionist  but she said i cant see one because my BMI  is too big my bmi ( body mas index ) is 40  i need a BMI of 17  to see someone  or ill have to be diabetic witch am not  
My dr just weights me every few months and that's it
They dont think its very serous because of my size with is rubbish , its don't matter what size you are you can still have an eating disorder

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »
Quote from: DarkAsylum;112557
Am getting help for the self injure and suicidal thoughts but not for the eating disorder
I asked my dr if i could see a nutritionist  but she said i cant see one because my BMI  is too big my bmi ( body mas index ) is 40  i need a BMI of 17  to see someone  or ill have to be diabetic witch am not  
They dont think its very serous because of my size with is rubbish , its don't matter what size you are you can still have an eating disorder

I agree with you on the rubbish part, because the point of EDNOS is that it's not restricting possible diagnoses to body weight (like anorexia and I believe bulimia does).

One thing you may want to consider doing if you feel up to it is to look at eating disorder recovery groups or clinics or even therapists in your city. It could be as simple as just Googling "eating disorder recovery ". You could also try asking whoever you see for your self-harming for a recommendation for someone who deals with that, as they may be more sympathetic than relying on such a fucked up model as BMI (which doesn't take into account a HUGE amount of things) just to get you help.

Because you DO deserve help. You shouldn't have to reach a point of a dangerously low body weight to have something give you it, or be denied access to it just because ONE medical practitioner says you shouldn't. There are good people out there who can help you.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2013, 01:15:21 pm »
Quote from: DarkAsylum;112557

Ah geez, what a bullshit answer. I don't know how things work in the UK, but in America you could visit another doctor to get a second opinion if you needed a referral to see a nutritionist. The idea of restricting eating disorder help to people of a certain BMI range is ridiculous. A friend of mine, also obese, has a binging-starving sort of disorder. We only saw her on her binging days at college, but all the other days she was barely hitting 1000 calories.

If you'd like help finding resources I can see what I can find online. I found a few good sites just googling "UK Eating Disorders" and "Scotland Eating Disorders" but I wasn't sure what you'd already seen. At the very least there should be online support groups for this sort of thing. Others would be more versed in this than I am.

You're not alone and I agree with Nykti -- you absolutely deserve to get help. No matter what your body looks like, it deserves medical treatment and love.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

_Willow_

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:01 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;112571
I agree with you on the rubbish part, because the point of EDNOS is that it's not restricting possible diagnoses to body weight (like anorexia and I believe bulimia does).

One thing you may want to consider doing if you feel up to it is to look at eating disorder recovery groups or clinics or even therapists in your city. It could be as simple as just Googling "eating disorder recovery ". You could also try asking whoever you see for your self-harming for a recommendation for someone who deals with that, as they may be more sympathetic than relying on such a fucked up model as BMI (which doesn't take into account a HUGE amount of things) just to get you help.

Because you DO deserve help. You shouldn't have to reach a point of a dangerously low body weight to have something give you it, or be denied access to it just because ONE medical practitioner says you shouldn't. There are good people out there who can help you.

I  have tried to look for groups in my area  through B-eat  there is nothing for people with eating disorders in Edinburgh ..just for parents and carers of those who have eating disorders
Am going to see another dr about it soon  but i dont think they will do much

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:09 pm »
Quote from: Sage;99551
Was it a physical trainer that told you that? Because fuck them.

Probably a salesperson.  And a bad one.  If they sell you the package with all the extra nutrition stuff they get a bigger commission.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: