collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 17 September 2020: $535 donated. Only $175 more need! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Health: Fear of coronavirus  (Read 5169 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of coronavirus
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 10:51:13 pm »

Problem is we can't close everything down until it passes over without leaving people in danger of starving, power supply structures being shut down and small businesses collapsing.
Right now, if I were to stop working for even a few weeks I'd miss all my council bills, energy bills, be unable to pay my two employees who rely on the money to live etc,, I don't want any of my customers, neighbours or anyone in general to die of this but I'm probably quite well off so I don't know how others would deal with things shutting down they need to live on ( financially or, in the case of food banks etc, in other ways ).

I'm a stage manager for a ballet company, and my husband is the production carpenter. We've suspended rehearsals and classes for an as-yet undetermined length of time and postponed our April production until June. Still hoping our May show will happen as planned. There is enough prep work I can do to work at home for a week or two and I also have some unrelated consulting work I do from home, but it's not like my husband can build the set at home.

So, we're worried about our personal finances and also about whether our nonprofit performing arts organization will be able to survive this. Oh, and my 90-year-old mother, who lives with us.

But we also know it's out of our hands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »
I'm afraid that I can't conjure up much in the way of comforting or useful words. I really wish I could. Best I can do is point out that our grandparents and/or great-grandparents somehow managed to cope with the myriad social and economic traumas left in the wake of a global pandemic about a hundred years ago. It's going to suck just as much now as it did back then, but there's no reason we can't pull it off too.

It does suck, already, as the effects ripple through communities that are not yet seeing cases. 

One thing that does give me a little hope is that I'm seeing lots of folks using social media to get the word out about resources and offers of assistance.  Most of the efforts are well-thought responses.  A few make me want to scream, like the local restaurant offering free dine-in only lunches for kids who are out of school. I worry that the assistance will start to dry up as the virus spread, but for now, it's encouraging.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 09:53:03 pm »
How are people coping with the worry?

I burst into tears at the grocery store the other day, so.

I work at the hospital and I live with my 71-year-old mother who has Hashimoto's and is currently fighting an infection in her broken leg (it's on the plate holding the bone together, so she's on 2 months of antibiotics and if she doesn't beat the infection it could go into the bone and she could lose her leg).

My husband, meanwhile, is still in the town I came from, and he has preexisting lung issues. My mother and father in law are over 60. My nephew (3 years old) has respiratory issues since birth. (They're saying kids do better with it, but I haven't heard anything about how kids w/ preexisting conditions do.)

oh, and I'm chronically ill too, with preexisting lung issues as well.

So...coping? No, not really. Closest I'm coming to it is a) writing and b) pure escapism in the form of Netflix and books. On the plus side, I'm going to have enough poems for a new poetry book by the end of all this.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 10:22:57 pm »
So...coping? No, not really. Closest I'm coming to it is a) writing and b) pure escapism in the form of Netflix and books. On the plus side, I'm going to have enough poems for a new poetry book by the end of all this.

Will you accept a hug, (((Morag)))?

Edit To Add: My niece should have made it back from Scotland to Chicago this evening. Still waiting to hear from her.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

scoutyote

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Dragonblog.biz
  • Religion: Heathen/pagan/witch
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them or she/her
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:21 pm »
Alongside the existing Coronavirus thread, https://ecauldron.com/forum/health-and-medicine/coronavirus/, this thread is specifically to do with fear of and worry about the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

I'm especially interested to hear from those, like me, who have pre-existing issues with worry & etc, as we tend to ruminate disproportionately (but no-one is excluded, here).

I guess I'm coping ok.  My anxiety disorder and depression aren't helping much, but I do my best to avoid most of the news.

In my area, we have active spread of the virus and our first regional death was a few weeks ago.

My whole household got sick from a weird and severe version of the flu in late January/early February and I'm finally cough free for over a week now.  None of us have been tested for CV-19.  We don't fit the parameters for testing.  I have asthma and hubby has myasthenia gravis, which affects lung function.  Our housemate has severe anxiety and depression.

We all have other chronic autoimmune illnesses which mandate we stay shut in for the duration of this thing. For housemate and I, since we're introverts, it's not a big deal. For hubby, it's a worse thing since he's more socially wired.  He still goes out for his fast food lunch and to the local dispensary, since medical cannabis helps him with his illnesses.

Preparation:

I'm sort of preparing.  Because of our recent illness, we are good to go for bleach, hand sanitizer, and over the counter meds.

Before stuff started flying off the shelves, I grabbed a case of toilet paper so that we won't have to go to the store for it for the next month. IBS is an issue, so it will all be used.   

Food wise, we are good on canned stuff and most staples, though I would like to get some flour and yeast for baking bread, since the already baked stuff is starting to disappear.

I started an herb garden this past weekend. That's my outside of gaming project, as well as housework.

Worries:

I'm worried about my aunt, who is overseas for travel and lives in the Seattle area.  Worried about my sister and her family, in MI.  I'd be worried about my uncle, aunt, and cousin, but they stopped speaking to my sister and I after disowning my dad, so meh on that i guess.

My mother in law is a senior and lives in a senior development in SoCal, and she's having trouble getting staples.  In her area, there are reports of caravans of people who show up as soon as the store opens, clean it out of staples, and move on to the next store. 

Friend in Long Beach, CA area reported that stores are bare of bread, TP, and milk, and that the local Vons and Winco are starting rationing as of today.  I hope that she's able to get food.

My college canceled all functions as of this past Friday, the 13th, and is transitioning to completely remote classes as of Wed.  All of my classes are online, so one of my profs sent out a letter with "While you're at home with nothing to do, put classwork at the top of your list."

Its getting pretty crazy, but I'm confident that we will get through this.  Our ancestors survived the last one on 1918/19.

I'm trying not to let my brain weasels run rampant over the worst worst case scenarios, which involve losing the condo. Using a lot more valerian than usual to stay calm.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 06:32:33 pm »
It does suck, already, as the effects ripple through communities that are not yet seeing cases. 

My current response is less 'worry' and more 'smouldering resentment'.

No direct major disruptions to my routine (I live alone, non-public-facing job, no cases in the area) but lots of minor ones. (like having to bring my own soap to work because the stuff in the dispensers gives me a rash. My manager checked if they could change it to something milder, but apparently not.)

I am already sick and tired of the phrase 'social distancing' and I can't wait to get back to being a face-scratching, nose-picking slob.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 09:15:00 pm »
Will you accept a hug, (((Morag)))?

Yes! and ehugs are great right now because they're, well. Distant. ;)

(((((ehbowen)))))

Edit To Add: My niece should have made it back from Scotland to Chicago this evening. Still waiting to hear from her.

Hope you hear from her soon, and that she's okay.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:53 pm »
Yes! and ehugs are great right now because they're, well. Distant. ;)

(((((ehbowen)))))

Hope you hear from her soon, and that she's okay.

Yes, she just got back home today and now is with her three little ones. Safe and healthy...I hope!
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Anon100

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 04:19:55 pm »
I burst into tears at the grocery store the other day, so.

To all of you I hope you can hold on. Sending my best wishes and ( hoping this comes across right ) my love /caring

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 06:54:50 pm »
I can't wait to get back to being a face-scratching, nose-picking slob.

The mental image of a nose-picking slob does not mesh well in my mind with the cute lil mousie avatar   ???  lol
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:33 pm »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hinduism
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 02:57:41 pm »
Alongside the existing Coronavirus thread, https://ecauldron.com/forum/health-and-medicine/coronavirus/, this thread is specifically to do with fear of and worry about the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

I'm especially interested to hear from those, like me, who have pre-existing issues with worry & etc, as we tend to ruminate disproportionately (but no-one is excluded, here)....

I'm not worried. However, I don't doubt it's real, a dangerous illness and not a hoax. However, I'm appalled at the frenzy the news media have been fueling. They are reporting with the glee of a cartoon villain twirling his mustache. There was no reason for the greed people were exhibiting in supermarkets over toilet paper, produce, chicken.
śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ
Vishnu's appearance is Shiva; Shiva's appearance is Vishnu
Vishnu is the heart of Shiva; Shiva is the heart of Vishnu - Skandopanishad

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 05:06:54 pm »
I'm appalled at the frenzy the news media have been fueling. They are reporting with the glee of a cartoon villain twirling his mustache. There was no reason for the greed people were exhibiting in supermarkets over toilet paper, produce, chicken.

I 100% agree with you!  Really couldn't have said it any better.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:00 pm »
There was no reason for the greed people were exhibiting in supermarkets over toilet paper, produce, chicken.

I was at the grocery store on Wednesday and some strange patterns were emerging.

- Frozen veg: gone. Picked veg (beets, sauerkraut etc): fully stocked.
- Chicken: very low. Sausage and ham: mounds of it.
- Canned veg: gone, except for an untouched flat of yellow string beans. Does nobody like them?
- Canned pasta: cleared out. Canned fish, right next to it: normal stocks.
(I didn't check out the flour, because I got a bag before shit hit the fan, but my mom said it was sold out when she went ... but there's no shortage of prepared bread yet. ???)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 07:50:38 pm »
The mental image of a nose-picking slob does not mesh well in my mind with the cute lil mousie avatar   ???  lol

True confessions: I never learned how to blow my nose  :P This Biohazard Everywhere thing is a major adjustment for me; I'm usually not germophobic at all.

Tags: