Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Developing healthy eating habits & overcoming barriers to healthy eating  (Read 9117 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Developing healthy eating habits & overcoming barriers to healthy eating
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 03:05:57 pm »
I am aware that you are a vegetarian and your husband is a picky eater who enjoys unhealthy foods but perhaps it is time for you both to compromise and explore some new horizons.

I generally take umbrage when people tell vegetarians to "compromise." I don't know if it's the case for Pickle, but for most vegetarians, there is an ethical or moral component, not just a health component, and telling someone to compromise their morals leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

To me, it seems no different from telling an ascetic to live a little, or telling a celibate person to get laid, or a teetotaler to have a drink (or telling a Mormon to drink coffee, etc.). It misses the whole point of their commitment; they are abstaining from something, they don't want it at all, in moderation or in excess, because they think it's wrong at the foundational level.

Now, if this isn't true for Pickle, she can feel free to correct me, but it's nonetheless true for many people and I still recommend avoiding this type of advice. I'm sure you have things you don't do for moral reasons!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 04:59:34 pm »
I generally take umbrage when...
I sincerely hope you learn to control your emotions better.   

𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 11:24:36 pm »
I sincerely hope you learn to control your emotions better.

You haven't the faintest clue about my emotions. Your assuming I had a strong emotional response to your comment, and you are projecting your those assumptions onto me.

You and I have had multiple disagreements on TC at this point, and each time you have made assumptions and generalizations about me.

You seem to think you know a lot about who I am, what I think, and how I feel; let's be clear. You don't.

It's perfectly possible to disagree with something, even strongly disagree, without being irrationally emotional.

How about next time, you respond to what I actually say in my comment, and not to how *you think* I feel about something you said?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:26:18 pm by EnderDragonFire »
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 11:30:07 pm »

Or, to put it another way:

Just because I think you are wrong, or that your actions or words are harmful, shallow, poorly thought out, lack empathy, are immoral, or unethical, does not mean I'm mad at you. It doesn't mean I'm outraged, that I'm not thinking clearly, or that I'm letting my emotions guide me.

It simply means I disagree with you.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 04:59:01 am »
I generally take umbrage when people tell vegetarians to "compromise."

Thanks for raising this point.

In truth, I can't be considered a "proper" vegetarian because I will occasionally eat things made with animals products such as sweets (gelatin) and mince pies (suet).

However, in terms of meals, I definitely don't eat any meat (and my husband won't eat any meals without it!)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 05:18:08 am »
Fitness and nutrition are very important to me so here is some simple advice.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Grace

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 09:49:35 am »
he is an exceptionally picky eater (like, I feel as though he may actually have adult 'avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder').  He almost exclusively eats unhealthy foods (fried things, fatty things, processed meats, too much meat) and will eat a minimal selection of those which fall into the healthy category only occasionally. 

My boyfriend is the exact same! Although I'm not vegetarian like yourself, I know the difficulty of living with and trying to cook for someone that does not eat the majority of the same stuff you do.

My way of dealing with it at the start was to just eat the same food as him, lots of pasta and meat, loads of carbs, rarely any veg. And to no ones surprise I gained a ton of weight because I do not share my boyfriends magical metabolism.

Honestly the only solution we have found is to cook separately. I realised a long time ago that he is not open to changing his diet, and because it does not appear to have any negative impact on him (at the moment), he see's no reason to. So basically, we don't compromise on meals. I cook what I like - which is usually a high veg low meat healthy meal - and he cooks what he wants and we cook and eat when it suits us individually. Some people find it weird, but I am not going to spend my time cooking two dinners every night or trying to find middle ground meals because it means more effort on my part and less nutrition for me and neither of us end up happy.

The hardest part I've found about this is that it does suck to sit down to a big bowl of veggies and rice when he is sitting beside me eating a giant pizza, like damn, I would like to eat pizza every night too, but I've come to realise that my body will not thank me for pizza every night so I gotta do what is right for me and let him do his own thing. 

You don't really say in your post if your husband is interested in trying to branch out into trying healthier foods like eating more veg or if you are both looking for more healthy alternatives to the same foods you eat now. But one thing that is a healthy change is making your own sauces for pasta etc. It sounds daunting but honestly to make a really nice bolognaise sauce it just takes passata, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some herbs and garlic and a sprinkle of sugar to neutralise the acidity and, boom, lovely tomato based sauce that doesn't carry all the calories and sugar of a store bought one. I've found little things like that can make a big difference and my boyfriend is actually willing to eat them.

It may sound selfish, but I've realised I cannot be responsible for my boyfriends health, he is a grown adult and his food aversions run deep. If try to force him to try healthier foods, it causes resentment for both of us, so he does his thing and I do mine. Maybe your husband might be more willing, but regardless, I'd recommend having a conversation on what you both consider healthy eating to be to see where you're both coming from and is there anything you both agree on that you could work on.

Whatever happens, I wish you both the best of luck with it  :)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:57 pm »
Whatever happens, I wish you both the best of luck with it  :)

Thank you!!
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 06:05:53 pm »
But one thing that is a healthy change is making your own sauces for pasta etc. It sounds daunting but honestly to make a really nice bolognaise sauce it just takes passata, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some herbs and garlic and a sprinkle of sugar to neutralise the acidity and, boom, lovely tomato based sauce that doesn't carry all the calories and sugar of a store bought one.

I am now wondering how using other kinds of sweeteners (such as honey) would change the flavor of a sauce. Though it's probably too small an amount to notice. Also, I find that store-bought sauces (and soups, too, even the 'healthy' brands) are loaded with starches and gums that make washing up a real pain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 07:27:55 pm »
I am now wondering how using other kinds of sweeteners (such as honey) would change the flavor of a sauce. Though it's probably too small an amount to notice. Also, I find that store-bought sauces (and soups, too, even the 'healthy' brands) are loaded with starches and gums that make washing up a real pain.
Side note: I  have never understood this thing about needing a sweetener to counter the acidity of tomatoes.  I can only guess that somehow what others call acidity actually registers on my palate as sweetness,  because I find plain tomatoes far too sweet to make a savory sauce with and the addition of sugar as most people do makes them downright sickly.   I add wine dregs and very large amounts of basil and a bit of cumin for my perfect spaghetti sauce.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:06 pm »
I can only guess that somehow what others call acidity actually registers on my palate as sweetness

Everyone, with a few exceptions, can register all the primary tastes. The difference lies with how strongly one is sensitive to a particular taste versus another. I happen to find milk to be very sour, which most people find odd because they see it as sweet or savory. I'm just very sensitive ton acidity.

That said, I'm also quite sensitive to sweetness, and I can taste both in tomatoes. I would never in a million years add sugar to tomato sauce! Most foods have a mixture of salt, sugar, and acidity, because those are common chemical compounds found in many plants and animals, and what flavor one notices most strongly in a particular food varies greatly from one person to another.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 08:45:00 pm »
Side note: I  have never understood this thing about needing a sweetener to counter the acidity of tomatoes.  I can only guess that somehow what others call acidity actually registers on my palate as sweetness,  because I find plain tomatoes far too sweet to make a savory sauce with and the addition of sugar as most people do makes them downright sickly.   I add wine dregs and very large amounts of basil and a bit of cumin for my perfect spaghetti sauce.

I don't understand it either. Nor do I understand the need to put sugar into 90% of our food supply. I cut out added sugar in September and buying food has become worse than the 12 labors of Hercules. Much more expensive, too.

We did find some pasta sauces that don't have sugar in them, and I find they taste...the same? Actually, a bit better. But really, I cannot imagine eating tomato sauce and going "You know what this needs? SUGAR." Like. What.

Most of the food I eat without the added sugar these days I find tastes absolutely no different from the ones with the sugar (or in many cases, better)...which just confirms my theory that it's not about the taste, it's about the fact that sugar is an addictive substance, which means it's also a money-maker. *redacted ranting on the evils of the sugar lobby & capitalism*

Anyway, it's been eye-opening to actually cut out sugar because now I see just how much food that does not frickin' need it has it. Which may have lead to me crying in the grocery store on at least one occasion.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 11:21:24 pm »
I don't understand it either. Nor do I understand the need to put sugar into 90% of our food supply. I cut out added sugar in September and buying food has become worse than the 12 labors of Hercules. Much more expensive, too.

We did find some pasta sauces that don't have sugar in them, and I find they taste...the same? Actually, a bit better. But really, I cannot imagine eating tomato sauce and going "You know what this needs? SUGAR." Like. What.

Most of the food I eat without the added sugar these days I find tastes absolutely no different from the ones with the sugar (or in many cases, better)...which just confirms my theory that it's not about the taste, it's about the fact that sugar is an addictive substance, which means it's also a money-maker. *redacted ranting on the evils of the sugar lobby & capitalism*

Anyway, it's been eye-opening to actually cut out sugar because now I see just how much food that does not frickin' need it has it. Which may have lead to me crying in the grocery store on at least one occasion.
And things will be labeled “sugar free” and have dextrose (sugar) or maltose (sugar) or sugar alcohol (sugar). All of these things are bad for diabetics and others who need to avoid sugars - and would be buying sugar free. Asshats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:54 pm »
All of these things are bad for diabetics and others who need to avoid sugars - and would be buying sugar free. Asshats.

A common problem faced by people who want to avoid other types of products, like vegetarians or observant Jews and/or Muslims.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the USA has an FDA at all, but it could stand to do it's job with a lot more care and diligence. Food packaging should be allowed to intentionally mislead, deceive, or obfuscate what's inside!

Not sure if you are from the states, or if this is a problem elsewhere as well, but I sympathize.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 11:29:11 am »
I  have never understood this thing about needing a sweetener to counter the acidity of tomatoes.

Everyone, with a few exceptions, can register all the primary tastes.

Nor do I understand the need to put sugar into 90% of our food supply.

Interesting discussion to have been sparked - makes me wonder whether people have read The Bad Food Bible?  It was loaned to me by a friend, and I'm about two thirds of the way through it.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: