Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Dealing with really stressy stress  (Read 3225 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Dealing with really stressy stress
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »
Wasn't sure where to put this, but anyway...

What do you do when you're so stressed & worked up you can hardly contain it.

In my case, I'm so stressed I ranted for half an hour when I got in from work, it all just came spewing out (something I rarely do anymore) and it hasn't helped, it hasn't worked like 'venting' as I'd thought it might.  And I can't sit still, I'm so worked up I can't seem to keep my arms still, my shoulders are up around my cheeks.  I just don't know what to do with myself.

Any kind of relaxation exercise or meditation is out of the question until I can reign this in quite a lot.  (Physical exercise might seem like the obvious solution but unfortunately it's not something I can do because of health issues.)

I'm at a loss here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:37:53 pm by RandallS »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Dealing with really stressy stress
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:48:32 pm »

In my case, I'm so stressed I ranted for half an hour when I got in from work, it all just came spewing out (something I rarely do anymore) and it hasn't helped, it hasn't worked like 'venting' as I'd thought it might.  And I can't sit still, I'm so worked up I can't seem to keep my arms still, my shoulders are up around my cheeks.  I just don't know what to do with myself.

Write out things in a form you can then destroy - it's sometimes more effective than just venting out loud or onto a screen for me. (you don't need to write out All The Words, but key phrases, issues, stuff that's bugging you, etc.) Tear up into little bits, burn in a fire (using appropriate fire caution), the more physical stuff is usually more satisfying.

That kind of emotion is also where I start breaking out all the cleansing stuff, and being extra diligent about that for a while.

Sea salt is my default go-to, possibly with suitable essential oils (rosemary and lavender are purifiers, and often pretty easy to come by: some mainstreamish grocery stores sell them, and natural food stores usually do.)

I do a couple of handfuls of a sea salt/epsom salt mix (regular salt, also fine), with three to six drops of oils or you can get a bit of the relevant herbs, drop them in a cloth tea bag or metal tea ball, and throw them in the bath. (Um, you can do it without containing them, but then you have to clean out the tub. Which I personally find disrupts the sense of peace and letting stuff go I was hoping for.)

When things are extra stressy, I make a point of visualising the extra stressy washing off me and down the drain. On a more average day, I do a bit of that, but it's mostly background.

The other tool I use, but that's very personal to set up is playlists - stuff that helps me process the emotional stuff better, or reminds me what my goals are in getting through the situation.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 02:01:03 pm »

Any kind of relaxation exercise or meditation is out of the question until I can reign this in quite a lot.  (Physical exercise might seem like the obvious solution but unfortunately it's not something I can do because of health issues.)

Making bread is my "go to" when really stressed. You can work an awful lot of stress/anger/angst into the dough during the kneading process and you can really bang it around if you want to.

I personally wouldn't eat the finished product but I put it outside to give the local wildlife a free meal.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:28:22 pm »
Making bread is my "go to" when really stressed.

Now that's certainly something I wouldn't have thought of.

Write out things in a form you can then destroy

See that's how bad it was this evening - I've actually done this before and even advised others to do it but I hadn't thought of it in relation to today's stressors.  In lieu of fire, I've now written some stuff out on a sheet of toilet tissue (yes, that is possible), shredded said piece of tissue and flushed it.

Now I'm going to eat some chocolate fudge brownie Ben & Jerry's.

Thanks for posting, both.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:14:00 pm »

Now I'm going to eat some chocolate fudge brownie Ben & Jerry's.

My go-to is sappy animal rescue videos on Youtube. That and loud music (ACDC, Queen, Def Leppard and such).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:27 pm »

I simply Will myself into not allowing myself to feel stress.  I direct my focus towards empowering ideas and actions and compel myself to feel what I Will to feel and do what I Will to do.

𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
I simply Will myself into not allowing myself to feel stress.  I direct my focus towards empowering ideas and actions and compel myself to feel what I Will to feel and do what I Will to do.

How effective is that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:42:29 pm »
How effective is that?

It is very effective. 

It requires one to understand that people have more control over their thoughts, emotions and behavior than they would like to believe.  One must be mindful not to underestimate the strength of one's own willpower, fortitude, and discipline... as well as one's potential strength in these areas if given enough training and experience. 

𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 07:10:58 am »
I'm at a loss here.

(((Pickle)))

Honestly?
I curl up in a ball, rock back and forth and cry, scream and yell my heart out until my body is empty and I realize that this isn't helping. Then, when I calmed down a bit, I take a shower. It's amazing how just a simple shower can make you feel human again. When I've had that much stress to deal with I usually don't have the energy to make it into a ritual, so I just shower quickly. After that I take a cup of coffee and that mostly makes me feel grounded enough to think logically again and take action.

You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:25 am »
Write out things in a form you can then destroy - it's sometimes more effective than just venting out loud or onto a screen for me. (you don't need to write out All The Words, but key phrases, issues, stuff that's bugging you, etc.) Tear up into little bits, burn in a fire (using appropriate fire caution), the more physical stuff is usually more satisfying.

This is what an e-pal recommends (we never met in person, but we communicate regularly over the 'net). He is Hindu and has been doing this procedure for many years. He makes it as an offering or surrender to the gods. He said it's very effective for him. I have yet to try it myself.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:50:48 am »

I'm at a loss here.

I'm so sorry. I know that feeling. Most days I can find my center and release my anxiety/stress into the earth, but some days it's too much.

I'm a very physical person. Running is my go-to, but since you can't do that...masturbation? I know that sounds strange, but it is a physical release. Screaming to the loudest song you can find can be helpful, too. I hope your day gets less stressful.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »

Sorry that you're going through this.

When the usual methods fail, I run a sink full of the coldest water I can tolerate, take the deepest breath that I can, plunge my face into the water, and scream as much force and energy as I can muster.  It usually works the first time to break some of the tension and make in manageable enough to handle through other techniques.   

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 01:06:17 am »

I'm not sure why this worked because it sounds like kind of annoying Spirituality 101 advice, but after finding myself in a bad enough state that I was biting my steering wheel and crying on my commute home from work today, I picked up a copy of Monkey (Journey To The West) that has been laying around here unread and found it really hit the spot for helping me feel better. It's not my full-time path, but I've noticed that Taoist stuff often has a good effect when I am really on the verge of losing it.

Technically it's a Buddhist book, but one with a lot of Taoist influence.  Or maybe it's partly the superhero-type stuff in it that cheered me up.  I noticed one reviewer compared it to Star Wars, which my late mother always asserted was the best cure for a really bad day.

Anyway, I am probably not being much help but I do sympathize with feeling horrible and stressed out.   The world is not in a good place right now, it seems.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 01:03:37 pm »

All I want to do on such occasions is be outdoors, preferably somewhere where I can flop down on grass and let it all soak away. In the garden, on a nearby community green, anywhere. If it's wet, I go walk in the woods until I'm exhausted. I've had to call my dad to come pick me up because I couldn't manage the trek back home more than once.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 04:59:44 pm »

I'm at a loss here.

(((Pickle))) I hope this post finds you feeling better.

When I'm struggling with stress like that, I go for a walk if I can. Being outside makes a really big difference tonne. I try to go somewhere with trees and/or running water and just breathe.

When I can't do that, I clean. The physical exertion helps but also, I think, the repetitive motions can be soothing. I often use salt, lemon and rosemary in my cleaning water and focus on cleansing my environment of built up stress etc as well as dirt.

Tags: