collapse

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 24207 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 02:27:58 pm »
I think a bulletin board is a great idea. Do you have a librarian? This strikes me as a great chance for some information literacy as well as science literacy, and about how news gets reported, and what sources to pay the most attention to.

(I'm in camp 'for people not near an outbreak, the flu is currently more dangerous, take the sensible precautions including a flu shot if you haven't already and can, and it's never a bad idea to learn more about how to avoid passing things on. I have to do cross-country plane flights for a work trip in mid-March, and have chronic health stuff that makes me a lot more at risk of lung problems, so I am personally also in camp 'let us have gotten a grip on this by then, please')

Hey Jenett - we do have a librarian at our school, but she's out on maternity leave until... May I think. I'll double check with her. Hopefully she's open to the idea if I have the majority of the work done by then.

Also - I wish you safe travels and good fortune on your work trip!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 04:00:06 pm »

Regarding the true mortality rate; I suspect it's much higher than 20%. I have anecdotal reasons for suspecting that:
I actually knew someone who recently passed away due to Covid-19.

Without giving away any identifying info; she was in her early 30s and in good health, with no prior respiratory issues, and was fairly affluent and didn't do hard labor. She had a single child, which might have weakened her body, but was in otherwise good physical condition. 
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 06:17:04 pm »
I've had to deal with kids joking about the Coronavirus in various forms (you can get it from drinking a Corona)

Honestly that sounds like a comparatively healthy response to the tension of the topic ... but that's another thread, I believe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
Honestly that sounds like a comparatively healthy response to the tension of the topic ... but that's another thread, I believe.

Yeah. I honestly don't see the joking as healthy myself—but it's indeed a different thread.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 06:54:11 pm »
Regarding the true mortality rate; I suspect it's much higher than 20%. I have anecdotal reasons for suspecting that:

Without giving away any identifying info; she was in her early 30s and in good health, with no prior respiratory issues, and was fairly affluent and didn't do hard labor. She had a single child, which might have weakened her body, but was in otherwise good physical condition.

Part of the trouble with the official numbers coming out of China is that COVID-19 seems to create openings for serious secondary infections (like pneumonia, f'ex) that work in tandem to overwhelm the patient. I seem to recall that was also how SARS did its thing.

Anyways, that makes it VERY easy to just write "Pneumonia" on the death certificate and thereby fudge the numbers. There's reasonably credible reports (by healthcare workers) of that exact thing being done to keep the official numbers down. Which is, more or less, business as usual over yonder.

Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 06:23:32 pm »

Someone at work stole my anti-viral hand foam off my desk when I wasn't looking, can you believe it?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »

My condolences, Hariti.

And that right there is unnerving. The take in the media is that it fells mostly the elderly and already chronically ill. This would seem to undercut that.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:13:57 pm »
And that right there is unnerving. The take in the media is that it fells mostly the elderly and already chronically ill. This would seem to undercut that.

She had no underlying chronic illness that she ever disclosed to me or her close friends. She was quite active online, without giving any identifiable info, and her husband has shared substantial credible evidence that it was Covid-19 on her social media accounts since her passing. Several of her friends have also corroborated this.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 05:19:27 pm »
Some of these official sources should mention that the common cold is a bloody coronavirus, this isn't some sort of Alien Disease We've Never Heard Of Before.

But that doesn't make for good news ratings.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 05:21:32 am »
But that doesn't make for good news ratings.

Indeed. The media are slaves to the modern 24-hour news cycle. However, I'm not keen on the argument that the media is being negligent by not emphasizing that the common cold is a coronavirus.

The problem I have with that is due to the way that brains experiencing decision fatigue tend to process information. I spend a lot of time thinking about the topic of decision fatigue and how it affects social behavior so that I can occasionally give talks about "Why Americans Be Like They Do", so it's something I'm familiar with.

Decision-fatigued brains tend to aggressively generalize as a self-protection mechanism. Thus, repeatedly underscoring that the common cold is a coronavirus (as would be done in a 24 hour news cycle) would be generalized into Common Cold = Coronavirus...which is not exactly wrong.

However, it's a dangerous generalization to make. Why? Because the reverse IS NOT TRUE. A = B and B = A is normally a fine assumption and so we treat is as universally true. In this case, it is not. Having Coronavirus = Common Cold wedged into one's brain is a recipe for disaster.

We're already seeing some of the results of that kind of generalization. You know, the DEMOCRAT HOAX GONNA TRYNA TEAR DOWN TEH PREDISENT! Because, you know...it's just a different kind of common cold.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 09:59:09 pm »
However, it's a dangerous generalization to make. Why? Because the reverse IS NOT TRUE. A = B and B = A is normally a fine assumption and so we treat is as universally true. In this case, it is not. Having Coronavirus = Common Cold wedged into one's brain is a recipe for disaster.

We're already seeing some of the results of that kind of generalization. You know, the DEMOCRAT HOAX GONNA TRYNA TEAR DOWN TEH PREDISENT! Because, you know...it's just a different kind of common cold.

Yep, I've seen that On The Tweeters - well, mostly I've seen rebuttals, but I can see the tweets they're rebutting. When the brain into which that false equivalence has become wedged is that of President Pumpkinhead (and it evidently has), that's a recipe for US-national, if not international, disaster.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 02:02:48 am »
Anyone else?

Checking in from just off the US outbreak epicenter.

I checked out maybe a third of the customers I usually do in my shift today. The store was dead. The streets were sparsely-populated. The other cashier and I wore latex gloves, although I really only did it to reassure the customers. When I went to the food bank after work, it was absolutely empty--unsurprising, considering how many usual guests are older and/or disabled people.

Current reported statistics from the WHO are showing fatalities as roughly 3.15% of all reported cases, with deaths barely exceeding 3,000 worldwide despite almost 95,000 reported infections and many more unreported ones for sure (skewing that 3.15% figure downwards). I have heard nothing about secret mass cremations in China, but I don't deny that it sure has been a rough cold and flu season. It looks like, based on the projections of epidemiologists, that in the future we will be talking about "cold, flu, and COVID-19 season."

I am worried for many of the people around me--the chronically ill, the elderly, the homeless in particular, given that situation here. I worry about hostile sentiment among the public towards the homeless as well, and also appalling racism towards Asians. But I'm still going to work.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 06:23:05 am »

I checked out maybe a third of the customers I usually do in my shift today. The store was dead. The streets were sparsely-populated. The other cashier and I wore latex gloves, although I really only did it to reassure the customers. When I went to the food bank after work, it was absolutely empty--unsurprising, considering how many usual guests are older and/or disabled people.

I'm sure we all know this but, as they mentioned it on the news the other night and it's easy to forget the obvious. Wearing gloves can stop you getting skin contact with the virus but only so long as you take them off to do such things as adjust your glasses or wipe your eyes.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 07:54:07 am »

Massachusetts, still pretty calm. My theoretical trip to outside of Portland, OR, they're deciding about late next week, but my meeting yesterday they made it very clear that if anyone decides they don't want to travel, that is fine, and they'll sort out reimbursements as needed. I'm waiting for more data before I decide.

I did another round of grocery shopping last night, and (thanks to my current apartment having a side by side fridge and freezer, aka more freezer space than I've had in my adult life), I have about a month of food not counting some fresh vegetables that I'll be eating this week.

I am inclined to think that when cases start hitting Massachusetts in numbers, I will end up having some work at home time, because I work in the middle of a building with medically fragile kids.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 11:56:25 am »
I'm sure we all know this but, as they mentioned it on the news the other night and it's easy to forget the obvious. Wearing gloves can stop you getting skin contact with the virus but only so long as you take them off to do such things as adjust your glasses or wipe your eyes.

I actually find that the awkwardness of wearing gloves encourages me to touch my face less to begin with, so that helps.

Of course, as I said, I wasn't wearing them for myself--I give it pretty good odds I've contracted the thing already and am borderline-asymptomatic, considering how quickly it's spreading around Seattle, my general health, and my very minor cold symptoms lately. Mind you, it could be a totally different, less novel cold virus. There's lots of those still out there too!
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: