collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Which gods do you focus on?  (Read 3209 times)

Kaisa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Which gods do you focus on?
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:50:09 pm »
Lately, I've been trying to begin expanding my practice to more of the Celtic deities, but with such an expansive pantheon with so many missing pieces in information, its sort of complex. So I was wondering, which gods do YOU work with, and how do you choose?

(I'm generally looking into Irish Celtic paths, but I'd love to hear from anybody on this. :) )

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Which gods do you focus on?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
Quote from: Kaisa;40630
Lately, I've been trying to begin expanding my practice to more of the Celtic deities, but with such an expansive pantheon with so many missing pieces in information, its sort of complex. So I was wondering, which gods do YOU work with, and how do you choose?

(I'm generally looking into Irish Celtic paths, but I'd love to hear from anybody on this. :) )
I mainly work only with Welsh deities, I tried to work with Gaelic as well, but it just never took. The Welsh Gods were beating down my door so to speak. I work with Amaethon(Patron), Cerridwen(Matron), Arianrhod, Don, Beli, & Gwiddion. I didn't really choose them, as in hey I'm going to honor such deity, but it was a process of asking for contact from any Celtic deity, and the Welsh ones just started coming through to me. The first contact was with Cerridwen, and soon came Amaethon, and so on. Like I said I asked for contact from Celtic deities and the Welsh Gods just started banging down my door, saying you rang, what do you want, lol.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:02:43 pm by Celtag »
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »

Weirdly enough, i mainly work with wights and local spirits than the gods. I don't know how exactly it worked out that way but it did. I didn't get to choose. I really don't think any of us get to choose. The gods/wights find you. :D:
Goodluck friend. May you find your path!

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »
 )

Brighid was the first one to come to me and Morrigan has claimed me.  On the odd occasion, Brighid does come around to teach me for a short while, but it's Morrigan that is my primary deity.  For both of them it wasn't me doing the choosing per say.  They chose me .  I choose to continue to learn from them both and have no regrets.  I also know I can look into other deities and pantheons (and have for a short while).  I still enjoy the time spent learning with them but I always come back to these two. I 'belong' to these two.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

I work with Frau Holda, a German goddess sort of like Frigga. I also work with the Vanir gods/goddess, Freya mostly. I also found out a few years after choosing my craft name (Ula) there is a Norse god, Ullr.

I found each one I work with through mediation and reading various pagan pantheons. I guess saying I felt called to them is appropriate.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:23 pm »

Aset owns me.  I worship Her first and foremost.  I also honor Nebet Het, Wepwawet, and Sekhmet-Mut from the same pantheon.  

Oya is my main Orisha from that pantheon.  I also honor Yemoja and Elegba.  

Frigga is the main Norse deity I honor along with Skadhi and Njordh.  

Some of them chose me (Aset, Oya and Frigga come to mind).  Others just showed up.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SilverOak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:41 am »
So I was wondering, which gods do YOU work with, and how do you choose?

The main ones I work with are Cernunnos, Rhiannon, Lugh and Brighid.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:09 am »
Quote from: SilverOak;40989
The main ones I work with are Cernunnos, Rhiannon, Lugh and Brighid.

I generally disdain the term 'working with' deities. I generally believe that you either worship/honor/venerate/etc. or you don't. While I of course venerate the household deities, I mainly concern myself with the Divine Julius, and center my sacra privata around him accordingly. I am also deeply enthralled by the Imperial Cultus, and intend to later be ordained as a priest in order to serve the Divine Emperors and the Divus Iulius.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Kaisa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
Quote from: Castus;41000
I generally disdain the term 'working with' deities.

It's not generally the term I use when referring to my practice, but I wanted to leave it open for everyone. :)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:23 am »
Quote from: Castus;41000
I generally disdain the term 'working with' deities.

I disdain arrogance. Go figure.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:35 am »
Quote from: Ula;41110
I disdain arrogance. Go figure.

Good thing I wasn't being arrogant.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:26:59 am »
Quote from: Castus;41120
Good thing I wasn't being arrogant.

Perhaps not, but what you said was pretty dismissive of those whose deity-interactions are most accurately described as "working with".

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »

I work within the Irish Pantheon, but I solely worship Brighid as She has chosen me. I have embraced Her with loving arms, and I see Her as my mother in a way. She is the core of my practice, and the Goddess I feel closest to. She is not only the Goddess that permeates my practice, She is also my household deity as well, and Her influence can be seen in many facets of my life. Brighid is a gentle Goddess, and I adore Her. I believe it is a privileged for me to have been chosen to worship and honor Her.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »

I was chosen by the Morrigan when I was somewhere around thirteen, and have since then become a bard. I certainly wouldn't have chosen her on my own--before she called, I was a very eclectic Wiccan hoping to serve Artemis and the Greek gods, and all I knew about the Morrigan was that she was a very angry, powerful war-goddess. I fought her call for about a year, and then I finally started to learn things about her and realize that intimidating does not necessarily mean bad.

In nearly all aspects of my life, she's the one who works with me; she tells me which choices should be thought about seriously, which choices are okay to fret and dither about, and which ones just aren't that important in the long run. After spending most of my life worrying about EVERYTHING, I really do need her help with prioritizing.

She helps me through the tangled maze of life, makes me think about what kind of path led me to my current point, and occasionally she forces me to get mad about things instead of letting my feelings fester quietly into mental illness.

I don't work with spells or rituals, I don't have an altar, and I celebrate the holidays by... well, celebrating, with no particular dedication to the Morrigan or any of the other Irish pantheon. (Partly because I'm a semi-broke college student and don't have the money to be leaving offerings, even on special occasions.)

In respect for the Morrigan's war aspects, I try to keep fit by practicing archery and kung fu, although I can't practice the former as often as I'd like.

We're minimalist like that. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more besides repeating the "[deity] chose me" answer. :)
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Tags: