collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 20 October 2020: $558 donated. Only $152 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:12:35 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[Yesterday at 12:06:02 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 07:15:27 am]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by ehbowen
[October 18, 2020, 09:50:51 pm]

Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 18, 2020, 03:14:20 pm]

Author Topic: Saw 3 cranes  (Read 2397 times)

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
Saw 3 cranes
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:51:39 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday while I was out, I saw a total of 3 grey cranes or herons flying overhead. I know that cranes are associated with Mannanan, and He is
One of my personal pantheon of Gods.

I was wondering if any one had any insight into the significance of seeing 3 of them in one day in an area where there are no local lakes or ponds.

Thanks in advance.

Phouka

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
Re: Saw 3 cranes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:55 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday while I was out, I saw a total of 3 grey cranes or herons flying overhead. I know that cranes are associated with Mannanan, and He is

I was wondering if any one had any insight into the significance of seeing 3 of them in one day in an area where there are no local lakes or ponds.

Thanks in advance.

Phouka

I typed in “crane goddess” and immediately got a hit mentioning “the three cranes.”

Apparently the three daughters of Allah in the pre-Islamic Arabian pantheon were referred to by this title. Namely Allat, Manat, and Al-Uzza.

Edit: I should add that bird goddesses are common in Europe as well. Water birds bring to mind Frau Perchta with her goose foot.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:09:23 am by Zlote Jablko »

Ashmire

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:21:05 am »
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Phouka

Hmm.  When I googled this, I got that seeing three cranes is considered a death omen in Celtic lore, so I hope that's not the case for you!  OTOH, Asian cultures often consider them a longevity symbol and I've personally been looking for a nice painting of one for associations specific to my martial arts practice.  But if you associated them to Mannanan, maybe he's just saying hello?  Perhaps ask him?

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
Hmm.  When I googled this, I got that seeing three cranes is considered a death omen in Celtic lore, so I hope that's not the case for you!  OTOH, Asian cultures often consider them a longevity symbol and I've personally been looking for a nice painting of one for associations specific to my martial arts practice.  But if you associated them to Mannanan, maybe he's just saying hello?  Perhaps ask him?

Hi Ashmire & Zlote. Thank you for the info. On further research, I found that blue herons are associated with Manannan and the Cailliacht. They represent magic, shamanic training and Otherworld walking, and transformation among other things.
Phouka

Edited to add Zlote's name to post.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:26:22 pm by Phouka »

Tags: