collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Questions about Religious Witccraft with a Celtic leaning.  (Read 4874 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Questions about Religious Witccraft with a Celtic leaning.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;27151
A good website on the Celtic deities is http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deities.html

I dunno if I'd call it good, at least not without qualifiers.  It's extensive, but not comprehensive (f'ex, Manawyddan has no entry of his own, nor is he covered in the entry on Manannan); it's useful, but not nearly enough to be used as the sole (or even primary) resource, and it's not always as reliable as I'd like.  Keep in mind that Joelle is an enthusiastic amateur, not a scholar in any relevant field; her site (as a whole, not only the Celtic stuff) is much more a folklore compendium than anything else.

I consider Mary Jones' Celtic Encyclopedia to be much more reliable - she is a scholar in the field.  OTOH, its entries cover far more ground than just deities - that's great in general, but makes it harder to look for deity info in particular.  But using both resources together could work very well indeed.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;27308
I dunno if I'd call it good, at least not without qualifiers.  It's extensive, but not comprehensive (f'ex, Manawyddan has no entry of his own, nor is he covered in the entry on Manannan); it's useful, but not nearly enough to be used as the sole (or even primary) resource, and it's not always as reliable as I'd like.  Keep in mind that Joelle is an enthusiastic amateur, not a scholar in any relevant field; her site (as a whole, not only the Celtic stuff) is much more a folklore compendium than anything else.

I consider Mary Jones' Celtic Encyclopedia to be much more reliable - she is a scholar in the field.  OTOH, its entries cover far more ground than just deities - that's great in general, but makes it harder to look for deity info in particular.  But using both resources together could work very well indeed.

Sunflower

Thanks, I'll check that one out too.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
Quote from: Tamina;27315
Thanks, I'll check that one out too.

That is a very good site, and yes Mary Jones is a good source of Celtic Scholarly work.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 03:33:50 am »
Quote from: Celtag;27282
Those are some good websites!

You can find those that own&run them around here somewhere ;)
Semper Fidelis

Tags: