Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Question about Celtic Recon  (Read 2631 times)

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh BrĂ­d
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Question about Celtic Recon
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
Hey, was wondering...do Celtic Recons ever use Tarot cards? Would that be considered too eclectic?

I talk to plants.

PaganNotPerfect

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Celtic Recon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:49 am »
Quote from: Gaudior;122985
Hey, was wondering...do Celtic Recons ever use Tarot cards? Would that be considered too eclectic?

I would say it's fine. I do not see using Tarot cards as a religious practice. If you don't as well, then, there would be no issue. I'm not a reconstructionist, however, I would assume that wouldn't be an issue to them either. I'd say it's fine, I guess it just depends person to person.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:19:03 am »

I'm sure there are CRs who use tarot cards, just not as part of their *religious* practice.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:06 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;122997
I'm sure there are CRs who use tarot cards, just not as part of their *religious* practice.

Which brings me to a question I have pondered for a while. Is the "recon" the religion, or is it simply the approach taken to the religion. (hope that makes sense)
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:47:02 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;123000
Which brings me to a question I have pondered for a while. Is the "recon" the religion, or is it simply the approach taken to the religion. (hope that makes sense)

The latter.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:05 am »

Depends on whether you're in a group with an opinion about this. Celtic recons can be among the more conservative of reconstructionists, with many groups embracing a Celtic 'lifeway' that is purely reconstructionist, with dual paths and neopagan influences discouraged. Sociologically speaking, I suspect that there are several reasons for this. Firstly, that we have living Celtic cultures (particularly Gaelic) that are not neopagan, and so Celtic reconstructionism can involve living in ways that are in harmony with those living cultures (which would not include witchcraft, tarot, etc). Secondly, that Celtic recons probably have the least information about the religious practices we're trying to reconstruct than other reconstructionist religions (such as Asatru or Hellenic reconstructionism), so there seems to be more of a move towards keeping to solely Celtic recon practices in an effort to recreate a complete lifeway with no non-recon/non-Celtic influences. Thirdly, of course, that our pre-Christian Celtic ancestors didn't do these things - but then, that last one is true for other reconstructionists who seem more willing to 'allow' people to be dual tradition or to do different things outside of their primary religious path, like neopagan magic.

I personally use tarot cards, do folk magic that isn't Celtic, and do other things that many Celtic recons wouldn't. As a result, i tend to call myself reconstructionist-influenced, rather than reconstructionist. Just to be respectful to the trends within the Celtic recon community.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:03:14 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:39 am »

Personally, no, because Tarot are based in a worldview that's slightly at odds with my own. I prefer forms of divination that are more culturally appropriate.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:29 am »
Quote from: Seren;123017
Personally, no, because Tarot are based in a worldview that's slightly at odds with my own. I prefer forms of divination that are more culturally appropriate.
I consider myself to be Celtic Recon influenced, but not solely a recon. I do not use Tarot, because I have found other way to do divination that seems to work for me. I have nothing against Tarot, but it's just not something that works for me.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

PaganNotPerfect

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;123000

I would say, that it is the approach. I consider the gods the common denominator, and the practice the way you express it. So, reconstruction would be another practice or approach.

Schuyler

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:05 pm »

Probably not as a religious practice.

Though even if the tarot might be seen as being out of place within Celtic recon, I believe that one should use whatever divination method works for him/her.  While I am not a reconstructionist, my path is Celtic-flavored.  However, the tarot speaks to me in a way that Ogham does not, so I use the former.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:11 am »

In my practice it would be eclectic, and a corruption of the deck's original function as a game. I use them to play trick taking games and that's it. My ancestors cast lots, engaged in oneiromancy, and consulted oracles, so that's what I do.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 06:46:03 pm »

I use tarot.  It's not part of my spiritual practice though.  It's more for helping me to focus.  I'm not a 'strict' reconstructionist though, and agree with previous posters in that it's the approach to it and blending it with my practices.

Tags: