Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Learning a Celtic Language  (Read 15854 times)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Learning a Celtic Language
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »
Quote from: Allec;130779
I debated briefly if I wanted to focus on Modern Irish or Old Gaelic, but at the end of the day I want to speak the language so that I am preserving the culture. I don't live in Ireland and so am limited in how I can support the culture there. So speaking the language, I can bring some of that culture over to my side of the pond--so to speak. Not to mention I think it's respectful to speak in someway the language of my gods.

...that all said, THANK YOU ASTER. I have huge hurdles because of this bizarre speech impediment that makes it difficult for me to speak English some days, let alone another language :( I am going to try my hardest to learn Modern Irish but my guess is that I'll end up just getting proper nouns down pat and never be fluent...and it really, really makes me upset (with myself).

I have fairly basic Modern Irish myself but I started studying Old Irish this year and it's quite difficult, to be honest having a bit of Modern actually helps in the lectures I have because our lecturer is a fluent Irish speaker and he compares the two a lot when explaining grammar XD I'd recommend sticking to Modern Irish for the moment to avoid confusion.
I'm nowhere near fluent myself (despite 14 years of it in school) so don't worry too much about it, the gods will appreciate the effort :D :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:33:37 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Allec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;130786
But they will perform marriages for infertile couples, so I don't think that argument stands up.

Ha. Yeah... I think part of that is that the priest doesn't question the fertility of the engaged couple? It's also a very medieval mindset if you ask me. But the Catholic Church isn't one to update its rules -_-

Quote from: Cág;131053
I have fairly basic Modern Irish myself but I started studying Old Irish this year and it's quite difficult, to be honest having a bit of Modern actually helps in the lectures I have because our lecturer is a fluent Irish speaker and he compares the two a lot when explaining grammar XD I'd recommend sticking to Modern Irish for the moment to avoid confusion.
I'm nowhere near fluent myself (despite 14 years of it in school) so don't worry too much about it, the gods will appreciate the effort :D :)

I hope they do :) Thanks for the encouragement!
"The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Spiritual and Religious Tumblr || My "About Allec" Page || My Religious Blogspot Blog ||Cross Quarterly Zine

ozdust

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:28 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;38494
Who here is learning or speak a Celtic language? Do you think as a Celtic Pagan you should at least learn to speak some of a Celtic Language. I am in the process of learning Welsh, I find the language very beautiful, but also challenging.

I'm currently trying to learn Gaelige (Irish Language). I'm using an app called Nemo Irish Gaelic which I love. I also listen to Gaelige covers of popular songs on youtube.
I didn't start because I'm a Celtic Pagan but because of my Irish heritage but have been thinking of using Gaelige in rituals once I get better.
Stacey + Adam
*Potterhead*Baby Name Lover*Business Owner*Singer
[/FONT]

Tags: