collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods  (Read 2356 times)

Geckomamasita

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Posts: 34
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
So I'm a beer lover and so I'd like to incorporate that into my individual celebrations. I've read about Goibhniu previously and I've found Seonaidh and Taliesin from this site: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/beer-gods-goddesses/

That site lists some holidays of these gods but I'm not finding any other sources for them. So, what I'm curious of is what holidays they are referencing? Are there any actual holidays that celebrate any of them? Or any practices that are already being done for them?

I think it would be fun to have a celebration of Fled Goibhnenn eventually when I am around enough people interested in this. It'd be nice to have already set celebrations to look into to base mine off of but I am happy to just make up my own also :)

Sorcha

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jun 2016
  • Posts: 387
  • Total likes: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:38:00 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;192831
So I'm a beer lover and so I'd like to incorporate that into my individual celebrations. I've read about Goibhniu previously and I've found Seonaidh and Taliesin from this site: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/beer-gods-goddesses/

That site lists some holidays of these gods but I'm not finding any other sources for them. So, what I'm curious of is what holidays they are referencing? Are there any actual holidays that celebrate any of them? Or any practices that are already being done for them?

I think it would be fun to have a celebration of Fled Goibhnenn eventually when I am around enough people interested in this. It'd be nice to have already set celebrations to look into to base mine off of but I am happy to just make up my own also :)

 
Taliesin is more properly a bard (possibly a real person) than a god, although there are those who certainly do worship/honor him.

If you find figures on that list that you're interested in, I'd look up more information on them specifically, not just in relation to their link to beer. (I found some of the info a bit dubious, and some of the conclusions seemed to be a bit forced--the conclusion that Cerridwen's cauldron contained beer and that she is, therefore, a beer deity is quite the stretch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geckomamasita

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Posts: 34
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192865
Taliesin is more properly a bard (possibly a real person) than a god, although there are those who certainly do worship/honor him.

If you find figures on that list that you're interested in, I'd look up more information on them specifically, not just in relation to their link to beer. (I found some of the info a bit dubious, and some of the conclusions seemed to be a bit forced--the conclusion that Cerridwen's cauldron contained beer and that she is, therefore, a beer deity is quite the stretch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can definitely see that they weren't completely truthful. I was rather confused on Taliesin since I couldn't find anywhere else calling him a god. I did find some things on the other two but there's quite a bit in Irish and Welsh. I'm taking an Irish language class in the fall so that should help a bit

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorcha

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jun 2016
  • Posts: 387
  • Total likes: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:05 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;192866
I can definitely see that they weren't completely truthful. I was rather confused on Taliesin since I couldn't find anywhere else calling him a god. I did find some things on the other two but there's quite a bit in Irish and Welsh. I'm taking an Irish language class in the fall so that should help a bit

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

 
You can find an English translation of the Mabinogian, which is probably the most "original" source on Welsh mythology.

I'm not sure on Irish mythology.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geckomamasita

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Posts: 34
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:48:09 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192867
You can find an English translation of the Mabinogian, which is probably the most "original" source on Welsh mythology.

I'm not sure on Irish mythology.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've already bought a copy that I'm reading through. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8479
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 290
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:26:16 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;192865
If you find figures on that list that you're interested in, I'd look up more information on them specifically, not just in relation to their link to beer. (I found some of the info a bit dubious, and some of the conclusions seemed to be a bit forced--the conclusion that Cerridwen's cauldron contained beer and that she is, therefore, a beer deity is quite the stretch.

 
It's a beer-appreciation/beer-geeking site, so while it might well be a good resource regarding beers (it looks enough so that this beer geek is bookmarking it!), it's likely to be much, much less solid when recounting beer-related trivia (for which the standard is likely to be, 'is this a fun thing to trot out for your friends over a pint?').

That site listed Brigid among the patron saints of beer and brewers (linked from the gods and goddesses page), and didn't include the goddess Brigid from whom at least some of the saint's attributes and associations likely derive. It'd depend on the extent to which you consider the saint to be a Christianization of the goddess, and/or to which you are comfortable treating their attributes as likely to be shared, but she might be another one to follow up on.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
1778 Views
Last post May 28, 2012, 09:02:28 pm
by RandallS
9 Replies
1687 Views
Last post June 20, 2012, 03:45:37 pm
by Owl
42 Replies
8147 Views
Last post January 15, 2015, 12:28:49 am
by Cabal
0 Replies
756 Views
Last post April 02, 2013, 03:40:40 pm
by yewberry
33 Replies
2709 Views
Last post April 23, 2018, 06:47:52 pm
by Sefiru

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall