collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Brythonic Deities  (Read 5555 times)

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Brythonic Deities
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:29:08 am »
Just wanted to see if a anyone honors any Brythonic God's? If so, what are your experiences with them.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

LiminalAuggie

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 127
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;96738
Just wanted to see if a anyone honors any Brythonic God's? If so, what are your experiences with them.

 
Hmm. Well the main deity in my personal practice is Belenos, but I'm not sure how Brythonic he is, really? I know he was attested in both Gaul and Britain but I basically know next to nothing about anything Insular. I've experienced him largely in natural forces, and I don't really see him as anthropomorphic at all. He is very much of light, and the processes and uses of solar energy, if that makes any sense? In my work trying to figure out my path, Belenos' influence has largely been in the realm of healing, but also helping me to recognize my duty to myself to make meaningful and productive use of the time and resources I've been given.

Your post has got me more than a little curious about Brythonic deities, though! I think it might be worth my time to do some research in that area since that's where basically all my mother's people come from. I'm vaguely familiar with dunbrython.org but I haven't given it more than brief perusal, do you know of any other good resources?

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
Quote from: LiminalAuggie;96776
Hmm. Well the main deity in my personal practice is Belenos, but I'm not sure how Brythonic he is, really? I know he was attested in both Gaul and Britain but I basically know next to nothing about anything Insular. I've experienced him largely in natural forces, and I don't really see him as anthropomorphic at all. He is very much of light, and the processes and uses of solar energy, if that makes any sense? In my work trying to figure out my path, Belenos' influence has largely been in the realm of healing, but also helping me to recognize my duty to myself to make meaningful and productive use of the time and resources I've been given.

Your post has got me more than a little curious about Brythonic deities, though! I think it might be worth my time to do some research in that area since that's where basically all my mother's people come from. I'm vaguely familiar with dunbrython.org but I haven't given it more than brief perusal, do you know of any other good resources?

 I also honor Belenus! There is a lot of crossover from Britain and Gaul. A good source I use is celtnet.org.uk. I honor 4 main deities in Belenus, Andraste, Sulis, and Taranis. Belenus and Taranis were worshipped in both Gaul and Britain.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;96738
Just wanted to see if a anyone honors any Brythonic God's? If so, what are your experiences with them.

 
I really haven't had much to do with any other than Brighid and Morrigan in the Celtic pantheon, but I've read that Cathobodua (sp?) was Gaulish and has been linked with Morrigan...  I suppose some gods/goddesses do travel or have quite a reputation if they're that well known!

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:56:22 am »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;98293
I really haven't had much to do with any other than Brighid and Morrigan in the Celtic pantheon, but I've read that Cathobodua (sp?) was Gaulish and has been linked with Morrigan...  I suppose some gods/goddesses do travel or have quite a reputation if they're that well known!

 
There was a time I honoured Epona actually (I used to do horse riding years ago) but I kinda stopped doing that after a while when I wasn't around horses as much. It was through Epona that I became interested in Celtic deities in general.

Well Ogmios has been linked to Ogma in Ireland, Lugus to Lugh, Brigantes (sp?) to Bridgid and I have come across the link of Cathobodua as a link to the Morrighan/Badb myself. As far as I'm aware it means something like 'battle crow' in Gaulish so I'd imagine there is a good chance of a link there :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:31:49 pm »
Quote from: Cág;98303
There was a time I honoured Epona actually (I used to do horse riding years ago) but I kinda stopped doing that after a while when I wasn't around horses as much. It was through Epona that I became interested in Celtic deities in general.:)

 
Isn't it great to see how Morrigan is getting more of a positive light nowadays... Even if it's more of a linked/association kind of thing.  I've had more of a leaning to Her Badb aspect for practically the whole time I've known Her, yet a few times I've had Cathubodua and the bean sidhe moreso lately.  And I've had a spurt with Morgan leFay too, but I'm not sure if that counts or not.

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:02:17 am »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;98640
Isn't it great to see how Morrigan is getting more of a positive light nowadays... Even if it's more of a linked/association kind of thing.  I've had more of a leaning to Her Badb aspect for practically the whole time I've known Her, yet a few times I've had Cathubodua and the bean sidhe moreso lately.  And I've had a spurt with Morgan leFay too, but I'm not sure if that counts or not.

 
The Brythonic Goddess Andraste has many similarities to The Morrigan.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:58 am »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;98640
Isn't it great to see how Morrigan is getting more of a positive light nowadays... Even if it's more of a linked/association kind of thing.  I've had more of a leaning to Her Badb aspect for practically the whole time I've known Her, yet a few times I've had Cathubodua and the bean sidhe moreso lately.  And I've had a spurt with Morgan leFay too, but I'm not sure if that counts or not.

 
It is!
Same! I actually have three red tealights burning on my shrine for the three aspects (depending on where you read they can be Morrigú, Badb, Nemain, Macha, Anu, etc) :)
There was a priesthood called the Coru Cathubodua set up in the States recently for Her too :)

Quote from: Cryfder;98649
The Brythonic Goddess Andraste has many similarities to The Morrigan.

Really? I must look into that! I've heard of Andraste but I don't know very much about her.
Thanks! :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:49 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;98640
I've had more of a leaning to Her Badb aspect for practically the whole time I've known Her, yet a few times I've had Cathubodua


"Cathobodua" is a direct cognate with "Badb Catha." They both literally mean "raven of battles."

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:09 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;98695
"Cathobodua" is a direct cognate with "Badb Catha." They both literally mean "raven of battles."

 
You're right I think, the phrase 'Badb Catha' rings a bell! :D
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »
Quote from: Cág;98709
You're right I think, the phrase 'Badb Catha' rings a bell! :D

 
It's a Gaulish version of 'battle crow' from what I understand...  It's just that I can't find anything more about this Gaulish aspect other than an inscription mentioning her.  The Celts did move around a bit, so I'm assuming Badb got to be known (word of mouth or otherwise) all the way out there :)

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:07:00 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;100870
It's a Gaulish version of 'battle crow' from what I understand...  It's just that I can't find anything more about this Gaulish aspect other than an inscription mentioning her.  The Celts did move around a bit, so I'm assuming Badb got to be known (word of mouth or otherwise) all the way out there :)

 
Aye! Unfortunately a lot of Gaulish mythology is lost as far as I'm aware :(
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

PaganNotPerfect

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 67
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;96738
Just wanted to see if a anyone honors any Brythonic God's? If so, what are your experiences with them.

 
I'm actually doing a lot of research on Brythonic gods. I'm interested in a path centered around the Brythonic Celts and their deities, or their style of deities that are shared with their Gaelic brothers. I'm going to "bookmark" this thread because I would like to hear what practicioners themselves do. As it is much more human than when I'm just looking stuff up, which I have and continue to do plenty of.

PaganNotPerfect

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 67
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:43:23 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;96738
Just wanted to see if a anyone honors any Brythonic God's? If so, what are your experiences with them.

 
I'm about two and a half months into actually being a Brythonic Polytheist. So, I do not have a plethora of experiential stories to offer. The gods I honor are Belyn, Taran, Mabon, Cernwn, Modron, Ffraed, Rhiannon, and Arianhrod. Belyn and Taran seem to be the major gods that play a role, so to speak. At this point, it's associations, for example, if I hear the rumble of thunder, I get a warm feeling, and Taran pops up in my head, for example. Basic, but valuable experiences.

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Brythonic Deities
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 04:13:28 pm »
Quote from: PaganNotPerfect;113006
I'm about two and a half months into actually being a Brythonic Polytheist. So, I do not have a plethora of experiential stories to offer. The gods I honor are Belyn, Taran, Mabon, Cernwn, Modron, Ffraed, Rhiannon, and Arianhrod. Belyn and Taran seem to be the major gods that play a role, so to speak. At this point, it's associations, for example, if I hear the rumble of thunder, I get a warm feeling, and Taran pops up in my head, for example. Basic, but valuable experiences.
Very interesting! I get a lot of contact from Belenus in dreams!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
2801 Views
Last post June 17, 2012, 12:03:50 am
by Celtag
3 Replies
1155 Views
Last post August 21, 2013, 02:35:18 pm
by Materialist
9 Replies
2121 Views
Last post October 12, 2013, 06:35:47 pm
by Aster Breo
24 Replies
3733 Views
Last post March 08, 2014, 06:26:59 pm
by dragonfaerie
1 Replies
2679 Views
Last post August 28, 2015, 12:40:47 pm
by Cabal

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall