Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Benefits of worshipping the gods?  (Read 2626 times)

Ragnarson92

• View Profile
Benefits of worshipping the gods?
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »
What do you get from worshiping the gods/deities?

Just got an interest in this kind of thing, not doing it myself or anything yet.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of worshipping the gods?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:52 am »
Quote from: Ragnarson92;65324

Just got an interest in this kind of thing, not doing it myself or anything yet.

Not sure exactly that it can be explained in the simple words of the English language.
Warmth, courage, hopefully wisdom, the odd clue-by-four and an odd kind of friendship like no other.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

I think there's sort of two questions you are asking: what do you get from practicing Heathenry as opposed to another religion, and what do you get from worshiping polytheistic Gods? They're related questions, but one is more...specific.

For the latter, I consider it something like a mentory-partnership with an older, experienced individual, but someone who has a very different perspective than mine. I know they are there for guidance and assistance if I need a "push" in life. They also give me a sense of certainty about following my wyrd.

A lot of Heathenry involves ancestor worship as well as the big-name deities, which gets you a lot of the same benefits, and a deep sense of pride and strength, I think.

Since I'm not sure if you're asking the former, let me know if you want an answer.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:07 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;69153
Not sure exactly that it can be explained in the simple words of the English language.
Warmth, courage, hopefully wisdom, the odd clue-by-four and an odd kind of friendship like no other.

Ya, this - though with Brighid it's usually a kick to the seat instead of the clue-by-four to the side of the head, but all the rest is right on the money.

Egarwaen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07:46 pm »

What benefits do you get from your relationships with your friends? Or parents?

The way I see it, our relationship with our gods or goddesses is just like any other relationship. Like any relationship, your relationship with a particular deity will be unique. Maybe it'll be one-sided, maybe it'll be occasional (very occasional, in some cases), maybe it'll be life-long and dedicated. But that's something you need to work out between yourself and the deity in question.

If you're going in to the relationship trying to get something out of it... Well, how well does that work for you when dealing with other people?

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:57 pm »

Another thing to think about is what do they get out of us worshipping them?
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

randomheathen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:30:34 am »

For me personally, comfort and stability. Any kind of strongly held religious beliefs will give you that. Even if prayers aren't necessarily always answered, it's still immensely comforting to have something/someone to pray to.
That awkward moment when someone calls you a godless heathen. :hdsk:

Tags: