Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Belenus and Sulis  (Read 1658 times)

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Belenus and Sulis
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:57 am »
I'm all new to Celtic deities and recently I've discovered a connection to the Celtic deities Belenus and Sulis. I have been very drawn to them as of late and their names keeps getting stuck into my head and I was wondering if anybody had any insight or experiences they could share.

Does anybody work with any of these two deities? What are their personalities like? How do you see them? :)

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
Re: Belenus and Sulis
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;116758
I'm all new to Celtic deities and recently I've discovered a connection to the Celtic deities Belenus and Sulis. I have been very drawn to them as of late and their names keeps getting stuck into my head and I was wondering if anybody had any insight or experiences they could share.

Does anybody work with any of these two deities? What are their personalities like? How do you see them? :)

I've no experience with Belenus, but have worked with Sulis for a couple of years now.  I've always seen Her as a single (or possibly dual - I'll get to this later) entity, rather than a triple goddess.  Even though She's very much a goddess of place, I've never felt remote or distant, or that worshipping Her from a great distance (I'm in Australia... it's a jolly long way to Bath!) has been a problem.  

She's patient and gentle, and welcoming of people who are a bit broken.  Healing's a big part of her portfolio, and justice too.  But She's no doormat - the saying 'do no harm, but take no shit' comes to mind.  For instance, if you're the sort who 's too shy or scared to speak up when others say or do cruel or unjust things, you may be prodded to be more active in that area.

She's also... slippery, I think.  Just like water changes shape to fit the container, She can appear (both physically and personality-wise) however She pleases to suit the circumstances.  

My personal feeling is that Sulis is much larger, older, and possibly darker (or part of something much larger, older and possibly darker) than is commonly thought.  But, I'll be honest and admit I can't really get my head around what that something actually is.  A lot of my experience is complete UPG, so I don't want to go dumping all my wild and possibly completely imagined personal lore on you before you've had a chance to get familiar with the accepted stuff we actually know.  If you're interested in my UPG ravings, including my dual-goddess theory, there's a big chunk of it here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:28:02 pm by Sulischild »

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:55 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;116758

I work with both of them! Belenus is always enveloped in light when I see him. He is very understanding and will listen to you for what you have to say, also he is great at protecting me. Sulis is an awesome lady, she comes to me in white with flowing hair. Always willing to listen and she is great at healing and cheering me up! But Sulis has a darker side as well and crossing her is not an option.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:33:53 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:19:56 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;116844
I work with both of them! Belenus is always enveloped in light when I see him. He is very understanding and will listen to you for what you have to say, also he is great at protecting me. Sulis is an awesome lady, she comes to me in white with flowing hair. Always willing to listen and she is great at healing and cheering me up! But Sulis has a darker side as well and crossing her is not an option.

Thanks for your wonderful replies. I must say I feel a bit more connected to Belenus than Sulis, maybe it's because I'm male, I'm not sure. Does Belenus have a dark side like Sulis? There seems very little info out there about him which is a real shame. It's been a surprise that a Celtic deity is grabbing my interest that's for sure, I've always felt more attracted to Anglo-Saxon deities.

Are there any suggestions you can give me on how to work with him? I've thought about possibly setting up a small shrine to him. Are there any good prayers to Belenus that you know of?

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;116871
Thanks for your wonderful replies. I must say I feel a bit more connected to Belenus than Sulis, maybe it's because I'm male, I'm not sure. Does Belenus have a dark side like Sulis? There seems very little info out there about him which is a real shame. It's been a surprise that a Celtic deity is grabbing my interest that's for sure, I've always felt more attracted to Anglo-Saxon deities.

Are there any suggestions you can give me on how to work with him? I've thought about possibly setting up a small shrine to him. Are there any good prayers to Belenus that you know of?
I always ask for protection and guidance from him! It is possible he is a solar deity so i try and do rituals to him during a bright day! As far as dark side, i think most Gods have that side. I would just suggest not to disrespect him.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Tags: