Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Poll

Are you a Celtic Pagan?

\'m strictly a Celtic Pagan.
19 (22.6%)
\'m a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too.
34 (40.5%)
 do Celtic stuff, but I\'m not a Celtic Pagan.
8 (9.5%)
\'m not a Celtic Pagan at all.
3 (3.6%)
\'m not sure.
14 (16.7%)
biquitous other!
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Are you a Celtic Pagan?  (Read 11227 times)

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Celtic Pagan?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:57 am »
Quote from: Micheál;2585
Well the Greeks&Romans considered their Olympians to be the perfect manifestation of the divine, that revealed themselves in other cultures, and the Romans equated the Gaulish Lugus(Irish Lugh, Welsh Lleu) with their Mercury(Hellenic Hermes), so you could be Celtic in that sense ;)

Yes, it would be perfectly historical for her to worship Hermes and Gallic deities together, or to treat Hermes as Lugus. I think it's in one of Ronald Hutton's books where there's a description of a prayer tablet found in a temple of Lugus-Mercury in Gaul, where the woman who wrote it couldn't figure out which name she wanted to use for the god, and kept crossing them out. (Mercury? Hermes? Lugus? Lugoves? Argh!) The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:54 am »
Quote from: Juni;432
I'm curious about the diversity of our little SIG! SO I thought I'd make a little poll.
What about you?

Ubiquitous other, because I don't "do Celtic stuff" so much (depending on how broadly or narrowly you define "Celtic stuff" - possibly the most historically-authentic Celtic thing I've ever done was offer Epona a rose; but OTOH I do modernized derivations like being in the Cill, and there's the Romantic-Celtic-influenced Wiccish bits).  I read and participate here - and in all the Reformed [Culture] Polytheism SIGS - because I work with deities from Celtic cultures (ditto other cultures), and maintaining awareness of the "in-culture" take on said deities reduces eclectic dandruff.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Lightdragon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »

What about you?

I voted not sure. i'm still growing and i honnor various Celtic deities. at least in the past few years. I am trying to move into a more Celtic direction.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Vella Malachite

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 03:07:54 am »
What about you?

I chose 'Celtic Pagan', because I'm a reconstructionist with no deities outside the pantheon, who tries to do everything as close as possible to what I can find out about the Irish of the time.
I feel a bit awkward about it, because my family are English, Danish and German by descent, though we're not entirely sure about my father's side, so it makes me feel a bit of an 'Irish try-hard' if you will. :eek:
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:28 am »

I voted for the first option, strictly a Celtic pagan. Though it would be more accurate to say I'm CR, with an exclusive focus on Scottish practice, which kind of means a lot of my research focuses on Ireland too. So I usually find it easier to say that I'm a Gaelic Polytheist.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »

What about you?

I chose I'm not sure. The reasoning being simple and fairly complex at the same time.........I'm NOT sure. My ancestry is Irish and Seminole Indian. Without conscious decision the path I follow (which likes to take odd detours and circle about on itself) stems from this. I seem to have an on-again, off-again, while never COMPLETELY off relationship with Brighid. Some of my ritual experiences seem somewhat Shamanistic. Hermetic philosophy make a whole LOT of sense to me. Right now I feel like I'm in the middle of a maze of corridors which all seem familiar; and I don't know which way to look, much less which way to step. Sooooooo.....I'm not sure, lol.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12:14 pm »
What about you?

I'm celtic pagan focusing on Morrigan right now.  Funny how so many have links with Buddhism though!  I was into it for a short while in my 20's and liked Quan Yin (and still have a statue of her in my living room) before Brighid came along...  I could hardly tell the two apart for awhile.  I'd learn the odd bit about other paths but don't have the need or desire to move from the celtic path for good.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:11 am »
What about you?

I went with "I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too."  It was between that and "I do Celtic stuff, but I'm not a Celtic Pagan. "

I consider my focus to be a Celtic Bardic Path, but I have a number of influences that muddy that up.  I have some Feri influence, some Wicca influence, and some influence from the variety of practices pulled together by the New Age Movement.  MOST of the gods I honor are Irish Celtic, but I have honored deities from other pantheons as well.  I have a personal relationship with Brighid, and much of my work focuses on her.  Also, I put all the gods underneath the same pantheistic universal nature of Divinity we too are a part of.  Also my beliefs on energy and vibrations are not, strictly speaking, Celtic in nature, though I feel they are compatible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:05:05 am by Fagan_the_Pagan »
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 11:58:36 pm »
I'm curious about the diversity of our little SIG! SO I thought I'd make a little poll.

I voted 'I'm not sure.' which might seem strange coming from one of the SIG leaders! But, it's true. I do work with four Irish Celtic deities, and a lot of my worldview is informed by the Celts. At the same time, though, my practice also includes equal parts Hellenic and Kemetic influence, along with smaller influences from other sources. So I'm not really sure, right at the moment.

What about you?

The Gwyddonic Order is a Welsh American based religion and our deities are Irish,Welsh and Gaulish deities. But I lean a lot towards Heathen beliefs as well - its a really weird mix that somehow works for me. So I answered Celtic but do non Celtic as well.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 07:59:26 am »

I voted 'not celtic pagan, but doing celtic stuff', but the not sure category would have fitted as well. I'm interested in celtic stuff and exploring it, it's very likely that I have celtic ancestors, but I don't know yet how far my somewhat vague interest will take me.

As for the SIG, I find a lot of interesting topics here and there and read, but I don't write often.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2011, 08:21:07 am »

What about you?

You know, I really had to think about this!

I ended up with the "Doing Celtic stuff, but not a Celtic pagan."
Why?

I am not a Celtic Pagan because I define as Primal Witch in my path, craft and spirituality. Also I believe firmly that my main Gods are pre-celtic in origin.

Still I do Celtic 'stuff' like I identify myself with the Land I live on, with its Gaulish-Roman history (so I have Mercury in my private pantheon as well) and with the Celtic tribes that lived here.

While I could pick another 'flavor' for my path as well, the Celtic one fits it the best. There are too many things here that resonate with my mindset and in my soul to ignore it.

(Oh and on the buddhist thing, count me in with the ones having Kuan Yin in their pantheon too.)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:55 pm »

What about you?

I'm a Wiccan witch who follows the Celtic gods and goddesses. I guess you could say "I'm strictly a Celtic pagan".

Allec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:46 am »

What about you?

Celtic Pagan, but I do other stuff. I'm really heavily Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist, but I dabble in pop culture paganism and magic too. So...89% Gaelic Polytheist, and 11% PC and UPG.

Though Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheism is my compass in everything I do. If something I'm dabbling in goes against principals of GP, I leave it.
"The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Spiritual and Religious Tumblr || My "About Allec" Page || My Religious Blogspot Blog ||Cross Quarterly Zine

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:15 pm »
Quote from: Allec;130581
Celtic Pagan, but I do other stuff. I'm really heavily Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist, but I dabble in pop culture paganism and magic too. So...89% Gaelic Polytheist, and 11% PC and UPG.

Though Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheism is my compass in everything I do. If something I'm dabbling in goes against principals of GP, I leave it.
Mainly a Celtic Pagan, all my Gods are Celtic, but do have others areas of my practice that aren't Celtic. Things like Thelema and other ceremonial magick is obviously not Celtic. But everything do is geared toward my Celtic Gods and Celtic culture as a whole.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:14:31 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »

What about you?

Mostly Irish pagan with Appalachian folklore, Zen Buddhism, and a dash of New Age for flavor.

Tags: