collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Are there any other bards out there?  (Read 2617 times)

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Are there any other bards out there?
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
I know that many of us are artistically inclined, and many of us are Celtic-influenced or Celtic Reconstructionists.

However, a distinct pattern I've noticed is that there aren't many bards/filidh in ANY of the pagan forums I frequent, although many are druids or seers. I'm the only one who's so open about it, at least.

I'm asking this because in spite of the many professional, well-read people on the Cauldron, nobody seemed to recognize the connection between the huge string of epiphanies I had in the beginning of April and the fact that I'm a bard. I found out recently that those epiphanies were brought on by imbas forosnai and I went, "How did nobody figure this out?"

Maybe people just didn't know the right questions to ask. Across three forums, people kept telling me different versions of the same argument ("optimism is good, but please don't take this to unhealthy levels"), constantly asking me why I kept at this, and yet nobody seemed to notice how specific I was being enough to wonder about it. Even I didn't ask myself, and after a couple of weeks I started thinking I might be crazy because I kept explaining that I knew I was right, but I couldn't explain HOW I knew it and I had to keep falling back on the "mundane" logic even though it wasn't enough.

Then I kept seeing the Cauldron card in my Arthurian Tarot readings and thinking, "Why do you feel like the Cauldron of Knowledge?" Then I drew the Cauldron and Taliesin in another reading and went, "Okay, time to go look up Bard stuff. Let's head to Imbas.Org to keep the theme." During which I found "The Cauldron of Poesy" article, learned about imbas forosnai, learned that what I said during it couldn't have been any kind of lie or mistake, and put my suspicions of insanity to a bloody, bloody death.

I really don't want this kind of thing to happen to someone else, and it would be nice to know artists who are ALSO pagan, so Bards/Filidh (or those so inclined), please speak up!
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Are there any other bards out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:19 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;51880

However, a distinct pattern I've noticed is that there aren't many bards/filidh in ANY of the pagan forums I frequent, although many are druids or seers. I'm the only one who's so open about it, at least.

I think it depends on where you hang out online.

If you're not already familiar with her, you might want to check out Erynn Rowann Laurie's work.  Erynn considers herself a Fili and is well known and respected among CR circles. Her website is very good (sorry -- I'm posting from my phone and don't have the link handy, but you'll easily find it through google) and includes some resources that will probably interest you.

She's done some great work developing an ogam divination system.  It's one of my two favorites, on the very rare occasions when I use divination.  Her book, _Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom_ is excellent.  She does talk about "The Cauldron of Poesy" and includes a meditation based on the three cauldrons.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't already.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any other bards out there?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:33:30 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;51919

I do lack the time to hang out on more than two or three forums--the Cauldron, Facebook, and Livejournal are it so far.

I've seen Laurie's ogam book online and I really really want it, but I didn't know she had a website. :D: I'll run her through Google tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:33:50 am by Sharysa »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:57:49 am »

I really don't want this kind of thing to happen to someone else, and it would be nice to know artists who are ALSO pagan, so Bards/Filidh (or those so inclined), please speak up!

Part of my personal work is bardic in the more general sense - but I almost never talk about it online, for a variety of reasons.

(Starting with the fact it's very much a work in process for me (and has been for going on 21 years), the fact that my own musical life got complicated by a few particularly bad experiences during my music major in college (yes, that was 15 years ago now, but it's taken a lot of time to work around some specific damage patterns), and the fact that how I go about the bits I *do* do seems to be very different than the way most people who go "Oooh, bard!" tend to want to do - *or* listen to.)

And among other complications: my practice is not Celtic in focus - obviously, there's a long tradition of magic and music/theatre/etc. in a wide variety of cultures, but I tend not to stick my nose into Celtic-specific discussions to talk about it, and that's te place it most comes up.

As to why I didn't respond to you - when you started posting, I was recovering from 10 days of travel (and attending a conference and helping run one), which never helps my amount of free brain. Plus, the way you interact with deity, and what you get out of it is something I'm familiar with from other conversations, but it's not what I do, which also complicates things. (Again, not a Celtic recon or anything close to it, don't have a relationship with the Morrigan, etc.)

And I didn't get the hit on the head from my own deity connections that I sometimes do of "Talk about this thing now." that pushed it to the top of my "Hey, do that today" mental list.

I think there's reasons for that: there's a reason there's a line about "dead, mad, or a poet": learning to deal with and cope with integrating waves of creative impulse with a life you can live in other ways is one of the key skills of anyone who's looking at something like bardic work.

But it's both an intensely personal process  *and* one where people are often very resistant to listening to external guidance in specific ways. (I know I was, back when I was sorting this out myself.)

I've come to think, over the years, that it's something that people pretty much *have* to sort out in their own heads. Very occasionally in conversations of this kind I'll get a tap of "Saying this thing here will help them do that." But much more often, I get the strong impression I should stay hands-off.

Make of that what you will.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:26:44 am »
Quote from: Jenett;51959
I think there's reasons for that: there's a reason there's a line about "dead, mad, or a poet": learning to deal with and cope with integrating waves of creative impulse with a life you can live in other ways is one of the key skills of anyone who's looking at something like bardic work.

But it's both an intensely personal process  *and* one where people are often very resistant to listening to external guidance in specific ways. (I know I was, back when I was sorting this out myself.)

I've come to think, over the years, that it's something that people pretty much *have* to sort out in their own heads. Very occasionally in conversations of this kind I'll get a tap of "Saying this thing here will help them do that." But much more often, I get the strong impression I should stay hands-off.

Make of that what you will.

And once again, Jenett, you've managed to say what I wanted to say but couldn't stumble out for some reason. Thank you! :)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:31 pm »

I'm asking this because in spite of the many professional, well-read people on the Cauldron, nobody seemed to recognize the connection between the huge string of epiphanies I had in the beginning of April and the fact that I'm a bard. I found out recently that those epiphanies were brought on by imbas forosnai and I went, "How did nobody figure this out?"

I don't consider myself a bard, I don't sing/dance/perform/or play an instrument though I do write.

One thing you don't seem to have considered in your pondering is this, maybe there were bards that recognized your journey/challenge but also recognized it must be a solo experience. Perhaps they were aware but guided or chose to stand aside and allow it to happen and allow you to discover it for yourself. Not everything automatically comes with a companion or guide.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:53 am »
Quote from: Asch;52074
I don't consider myself a bard, I don't sing/dance/perform/or play an instrument though I do write.

Performing isn't the only option for a bard. Bards are storytellers, whether it's through painting or performing.

One thing you don't seem to have considered in your pondering is this, maybe there were bards that recognized your journey/challenge but also recognized it must be a solo experience.

And... that makes quite a lot of sense.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:24:20 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;52204
Performing isn't the only option for a bard. Bards are storytellers, whether it's through painting or performing.

And... that makes quite a lot of sense.

I do define myself as a storyteller and view my writing as part of my spiritual work, but i had not connected this with the bard figure until quite recently, since my path was far from very celtic-focused... I am now interested in deepening my understanding of this, so I would quite like it if someone could point to me any good online resouces on this subject.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 02:08:08 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;55258
I do define myself as a storyteller and view my writing as part of my spiritual work, but i had not connected this with the bard figure until quite recently, since my path was far from very celtic-focused... I am now interested in deepening my understanding of this, so I would quite like it if someone could point to me any good online resources on this subject.

Off the top of my head, the two sites I recommend are Imbas.Org and Paganachd.com. There's a lot of other good sites I have floating around, but they're a lot less cohesive than those two.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:17:12 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;55363
Off the top of my head, the two sites I recommend are Imbas.Org and Paganachd.com. There's a lot of other good sites I have floating around, but they're a lot less cohesive than those two.

I am going to check them out, thank you!
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

JovesChild

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:52 am »

I am. I paint and storytell through artwork, and also dance... injured my knee a bit ago, so that part's on pause though.

However, being a newbie, I still am heavy in lurk phase here. I've read your threads with great interest, esp regarding tM, Sharysa, so don't think they went unnoticed.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. ~ Keller

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:57 am »

I identify with the bardic tradition and work with the Cauldron of Poesy text. I think a lot of people are just shy about talking about it!

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;75871
I identify with the bardic tradition and work with the Cauldron of Poesy text. I think a lot of people are just shy about talking about it!

Yeah, artists aren't exactly the most esteemed profession in most countries nowadays. Especially in the US, where most of the Cauldronites come from.

Didn't expect to see people respond to this thread so late, but definitely glad!

Malia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:24 am »

Within the past few weeks, I've realized that I may be a bard, but I'm not sure if just translating stories and songs as I have been counts. I can't read music nor play any instrument, I can't draw or sculpt, and I'm not confident in my own attempts at poetry.
I have been considering using my translations to cover the corresponding songs, though, so would that count?

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 12:20:00 am »

I consider myself a bard, in a semi-Celtic path (I'd say 50% Celtic or Celtic Inspired, with the other half coming from anywhere and everywhere I find anything useful.)  I have not been very active around the forums lately, though.

I love stories, and I am a performer.  I am often far more comfortable up on a stage than I am any other time.  I love the story in a play or a good song, and I love the works of Shakespeare.  I am getting involved in a new Shakespeare Guild, which will hopefully help me flourish in that way.  I also study mythology, and poetry.  I am writing a novel, and leading up to this past Imbolc, wrote a poem a day for Brighid, who I consider my patron goddess (even though I am male).

I also create wands for sale, and have named my business "Bardistry," combining "Bard" and "Artistry."  Each wand is hand carved, and unique, and carries its own magical and artistic energy.  I also include a story card with each wand, providing information about it.  This can be lore about the woods and stones I use, or bits of old legends and myths if they are relevant to my designs.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Tags: