collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part Two:  (Read 3989 times)

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part Two:
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »
Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part Two: The Origin of the Celts

The reading material is found here.

Questions for discussion (Questions are the author's, not my own):

1. a) Using evidence from several archaeological sites, describe the basic characteristics of an Urnfield cemetery.

b) What does the continuation of inhumation practices side by side with cremation suggest?  

2. Using evidence from several archaeological sites, describe a typical settlement from the Urnsfield period.  

3. Comment on any notable themes or patterns that appear in the artifacts of the period.

*Additional Questions may be posted, given the nature of the thread.  **Participants are welcome to pose their own questions to the thread.

Happy Reading!!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part Two:
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »
Quote from: darashand;23701
Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part Two: The Origin of the Celts

The reading material is found here.

Questions for discussion (Questions are the author's, not my own):

1. a) Using evidence from several archaeological sites, describe the basic characteristics of an Urnfield cemetery.

b) What does the continuation of inhumation practices side by side with cremation suggest?  

2. Using evidence from several archaeological sites, describe a typical settlement from the Urnsfield period.  

3. Comment on any notable themes or patterns that appear in the artifacts of the period.

*Additional Questions may be posted, given the nature of the thread.  **Participants are welcome to pose their own questions to the thread.

Happy Reading!!

The material in this section barely scratches the surface of the history and archaeology discussed in much more detail in several books.  It feels to me like it's just here to provide the bones that the later sections will hang on.

One thing that did stand out to me, though, was the mention of the "Atlantic" culture that predated the Celts.  Personally, that culture fascinates me.  Why did they build Newgrange, Avebury, and Stonehenge?  I know we'll never really know, but it's fun to think about.

Anyway...  I'm deliberately not answering the questions given because they feel too much like homework.  :p  But I'm looking forward to getting deeper into the course.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;25318

Anyway...  I'm deliberately not answering the questions given because they feel too much like homework.  :p

Hah. No kidding.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:48:24 am »
Anyway...  I'm deliberately not answering the questions given because they feel too much like homework.  :p  But I'm looking forward to getting deeper into the course.

This. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »
Anyway...  I'm deliberately not answering the questions given because they feel too much like homework.  :p  

I'm going to treat it like I treat all homework and put it off for a little while. But I'll get to it, because I'm honestly pretty hazy on the archaeological side of things.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:03:59 am »
Quote from: Malkin;26243
I'm going to treat it like I treat all homework and put it off for a little while. But I'll get to it, because I'm honestly pretty hazy on the archaeological side of things.

Part Two is a little heavy on the snooze fest, but are the questions something that should be omitted for part three?  Shall I just post each section every few weeks and hope someone responds?  Shall I develop something (thoughts, reactions, etc.) for participants to think upon or comment?  

And FWIW, I'm not grading you all. :p

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:59:05 am »
Quote from: darashand;26335
Part Two is a little heavy on the snooze fest, but are the questions something that should be omitted for part three?  Shall I just post each section every few weeks and hope someone responds?  Shall I develop something (thoughts, reactions, etc.) for participants to think upon or comment?  

Honestly, I think it depends on the section's subject(s) and the kinds of questions.  I don't think any of us really wants to write compare-and-contrast essays on the facts presented, or anything like that.  But the kinds of questions that make us think more about things like how to apply the information in our own spiritual paths might be useful.

Just my not-very-well-developed two cents, and worth what you paid.  ;)

~ Aster

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:39 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;26342
Honestly, I think it depends on the section's subject(s) and the kinds of questions.  I don't think any of us really wants to write compare-and-contrast essays on the facts presented, or anything like that.  But the kinds of questions that make us think more about things like how to apply the information in our own spiritual paths might be useful.

Just my not-very-well-developed two cents, and worth what you paid.  ;)

~ Aster

Well, honestly, this sections questions require research, as a full time student w/two (soon to be one full time) jobs it's just not feasible to purchase the books let alone do the research right now. They're good questions but yeah.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;26342
I don't think any of us really wants to write compare-and-contrast essays on the facts presented, or anything like that.

But I do! :p I think it's just as important to be able to understand one's religion in a historical context. (Especially with something like Celtic paganism, where a lot of important research has gone on in the last 10-15 years.) But in a case like this, I think it's probably fine to allow for just some casual Internet research. Nothing laborious.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;26448
Nothing laborious.

Exactly.  One or two sentences per question is plenty...or skip them all together and just make a comment or two about the section.  Remember no rules and no grades. ;)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:43 am »
Quote from: Asch;26346
Well, honestly, this sections questions require research, as a full time student w/two (soon to be one full time) jobs it's just not feasible to purchase the books let alone do the research right now. They're good questions but yeah.

As someone who has spent the last 10 years or so collecting about 250 books on various aspects of ancient Celtic culture and related topics, I completely understand.  I've done the reading over several years, and I even remember a good chunk of it.  But it was incredibly time consuming, while also fascinating.

Learning about the historical context of one's religion can be a huge commitment.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:48 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;26543
As someone who has spent the last 10 years or so collecting about 250 books on various aspects of ancient Celtic culture and related topics, I completely understand.  I've done the reading over several years, and I even remember a good chunk of it.  But it was incredibly time consuming, while also fascinating.

Learning about the historical context of one's religion can be a huge commitment.

Well, I'm not complaining per se, just pointing out the awkward timing from my perspective at least. :)

Taliesin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 02:32:22 am »
Quote from: darashand;23701
Happy Reading!!

Dara, I was up for joining in with this on the old board, but kinda fell off the radar a little haha. Is it okay if I still take part? :) I'm reading through part one as we speak!
Cambiano solo le onde, sempre uguali e sempre diverse.
Feel free to leave a candle at the ManannĂ¡n shrine.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
Quote from: Taliesin;26550
Dara, I was up for joining in with this on the old board, but kinda fell off the radar a little haha. Is it okay if I still take part? :) I'm reading through part one as we speak!

Oh yes, please do!  We're about ready to move on to Part Three, but do post in the other threads if you have a comment or question.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 01:12:25 am »
Quote from: Asch;26548
Well, I'm not complaining per se, just pointing out the awkward timing from my perspective at least. :)

Oh, I didn't read you as complaining at all!  I was just agreeing that learning about the history of the culture whose religion you're practicing or borrowing elements of is a good idea AND that it's a huge time commitment.

All those books on the various reading lists -- most of them are thick and dense.  Definitely not light reading.  And also definitely expensive.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last post.  :)

Tags: