collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 24 Aug 2019: $260 donated. Only $390 more needed to reach our minimum goal!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


Author Topic: ADF experiences?  (Read 6799 times)

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
Hi all,

I've been poking about the ADF site and am intrigued. I'm interested in learning more about it and some of the things I've read seem to fit quite well with what I believe.  

I know there are a few people here who are members of ADF and I wondered if you would mind telling me a bit about your experiences with them? I might be interested in joining but I'd like to know a bit more first. Any insight would be welcome :).

Rocquelaire
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;2977
I've been poking about the ADF site and am intrigued. I'm interested in learning more about it and some of the things I've read seem to fit quite well with what I believe.

 
Are you looking for a strictly Celtic point of view on ADF, or more general experiences? I ask because if you're more interested in general experiences, we should probably move this thread over to the Neo-Druidry SIG; otherwise, specifying a desire for a *Celtic* perspective on the group would be useful for discussion. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:15 pm »
Quote from: Juni;2985
Are you looking for a strictly Celtic point of view on ADF, or more general experiences? I ask because if you're more interested in general experiences, we should probably move this thread over to the Neo-Druidry SIG; otherwise, specifying a desire for a *Celtic* perspective on the group would be useful for discussion. :)

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking for a specifically Celtic view at the moment
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;2991
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking for a specifically Celtic view at the moment

 
No problem! I just wanted to be sure, is all. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with ADF so I'm not much help!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 07:38:39 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;2991
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking for a specifically Celtic view at the moment

I should add for those of you that don't know that I follow Brighid so I'm especially interested in how it would fit in with worshipping Her if I went down that path.
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:31:54 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;2977
Hi all,

I've been poking about the ADF site and am intrigued. I'm interested in learning more about it and some of the things I've read seem to fit quite well with what I believe.  

I know there are a few people here who are members of ADF and I wondered if you would mind telling me a bit about your experiences with them? I might be interested in joining but I'd like to know a bit more first. Any insight would be welcome :).

Rocquelaire

 
Celtic ADFer here. Unfortunately, my work has been strictly solitary at this point - there's a nearby grove but I seriously don't have the time. I've been working on the Dedicant Path (the first round of voluntary study) and most of my Druid socialization occurs on TC. ;D

ADF strikes a good balance for me between recon and not. There is emphasis on study and historical veracity - perhaps more so than any other Druid organization - with the understanding we're creating this path and have to patch in the gaps. But there's honest of where that is done, what practices are new and which have a more historical influence, etc.

Most ADFers are Celtic focused (usually Irish or Welsh) with, I think, Norse being a close second. (This is judging from the activity of the discussion lists and the number of groves dedicated to which patrons.) For $20, you get a year's membership with access to Dedicant Path material and member's only pages. There is a LOT of material there, and honestly, the price is so cheap that you don't have to worry about investing a lot in something that won't work out.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:13:05 am »
Quote from: Sage;3302
Celtic ADFer here. Unfortunately, my work has been strictly solitary at this point - there's a nearby grove but I seriously don't have the time. I've been working on the Dedicant Path (the first round of voluntary study) and most of my Druid socialization occurs on TC. ;D


That's good to know. It kind of looked like attending a grove was mandatory and they don't have any in Scotland.

Quote
ADF strikes a good balance for me between recon and not. There is emphasis on study and historical veracity - perhaps more so than any other Druid organization - with the understanding we're creating this path and have to patch in the gaps. But there's honest of where that is done, what practices are new and which have a more historical influence, etc.

That's good too - I find myself somewhere between recon and not.
 
Quote
For $20, you get a year's membership with access to Dedicant Path material and member's only pages. There is a LOT of material there, and honestly, the price is so cheap that you don't have to worry about investing a lot in something that won't work out.

Have you found the study material useful? How much time do you dedicate to it? I'm not sure how much time I have at the moment. Is the study monitored? Do you submit work?

Sorry, so many questions. I just don't want to make a commitment without being sure if I can honour it.
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Dragonfly68

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 99
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:34:30 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;3578

Have you found the study material useful? How much time do you dedicate to it? I'm not sure how much time I have at the moment. Is the study monitored? Do you submit work?

Sorry, so many questions. I just don't want to make a commitment without being sure if I can honour it.

 
The study material is useful, it helps give your practice more depth, IMO.  You can have a mentor if you want, you have to ask for one though.  IF you are doing the dedicant studies, then yes, you have to submit your work.  But you are not required to do it to be a member.  A lot of people don't.  As for how long?  Well, there is no time limit on how long you can take. :)  There is a member in our group that has been working on hers since around 2005 maybe 2006.  Either way, a LOOONG time. :D

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:48:46 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;3578

Have you found the study material useful? How much time do you dedicate to it? I'm not sure how much time I have at the moment. Is the study monitored? Do you submit work?

Sorry, so many questions. I just don't want to make a commitment without being sure if I can honour it.

 
By joining, you are making no commitments at all - it's not even necessary to undertake Dedicant Path work to be an ADF member. The DP is meant to take roughly a year to complete, and I use one reverend's system so I have something to work on every week. The study is not monitored, and when you have completed all the requirements, you submit the final document for evaluation. Then, if you pass, you can choose to take on the next course of study, and so forth.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:26 am »
Quote from: Sage;3590
By joining, you are making no commitments at all - it's not even necessary to undertake Dedicant Path work to be an ADF member. The DP is meant to take roughly a year to complete, and I use one reverend's system so I have something to work on every week. The study is not monitored, and when you have completed all the requirements, you submit the final document for evaluation. Then, if you pass, you can choose to take on the next course of study, and so forth.

It's the Dedicant Path that appeals to me. It's just that I have a 5 year old daughter, I work three days a week and I go to law school a couple of evenings a week and every other weekend. If there's no time limit on how long it takes to do it though then I should be able to fit it in. I'm looking for something that's structured and will help to give my practice more depth. Of course my current commitments to Brighid come first. How do you find it fits with your relationship with Her?
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

JuniperMorgan

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 197
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;3595
It's the Dedicant Path that appeals to me. It's just that I have a 5 year old daughter, I work three days a week and I go to law school a couple of evenings a week and every other weekend. If there's no time limit on how long it takes to do it though then I should be able to fit it in. I'm looking for something that's structured and will help to give my practice more depth. Of course my current commitments to Brighid come first. How do you find it fits with your relationship with Her?

 
It's not ADF - and I can't speak to ADF or to this group personally, but in the SIG for Neo-Druid Organizations, in the follow thread by Asch http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?126-Neo-Druid-Organizations is a listing for a group called Tuatha De Brighid Druidry at http://tuathadebrighid.net/.  You might consider checking them out as well.  *shrug*  Just an idea to lob out there.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Asch

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 883
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;3595
It's the Dedicant Path that appeals to me. It's just that I have a 5 year old daughter, I work three days a week and I go to law school a couple of evenings a week and every other weekend. If there's no time limit on how long it takes to do it though then I should be able to fit it in. I'm looking for something that's structured and will help to give my practice more depth. Of course my current commitments to Brighid come first. How do you find it fits with your relationship with Her?

 
From what I understand it's not uncommon for the DP to take two years or more for some folks. There are a couple requirements that take time - for instance you're expected to track 5 months of mental discipline exercises (such as meditation) and write an essay about the 8 High Days (four must be celebrated w/ADF rites) so naturally those can take some time to complete.

As for Bighid, I'm not a devotee but there is a SIG devoted to her (which has a flamekeeping component as well).

I'm also solitary mostly because I have an awful car and the local members here are pretty scattered, we're working on regular meetings though and jokingly refer to a proto-proto-proto-grove :P

Asch

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 883
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ADF experiences?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:14:12 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;3616
It's not ADF - and I can't speak to ADF or to this group personally, but in the SIG for Neo-Druid Organizations, in the follow thread by Asch http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?126-Neo-Druid-Organizations is a listing for a group called Tuatha De Brighid Druidry at http://tuathadebrighid.net/.  You might consider checking them out as well.  *shrug*  Just an idea to lob out there.


Yeah I also can't speak to the group w/direct experience but it might be worth looking into.

Also if you're curious about ADF Dedicant work there are several of us keeping blogs of our progress with it. Mine and I think a few others are in the religious blog link section http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/vblinklist.php?do=showcat&catid=1

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;3616
It's not ADF - and I can't speak to ADF or to this group personally, but in the SIG for Neo-Druid Organizations, in the follow thread by Asch http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?126-Neo-Druid-Organizations is a listing for a group called Tuatha De Brighid Druidry at http://tuathadebrighid.net/.  You might consider checking them out as well.  *shrug*  Just an idea to lob out there.

Thanks :) (slinks off to check them out . . .)
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

rocquelaire

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 682
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
ADF experiences?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »
Quote from: Asch;3631
Yeah I also can't speak to the group w/direct experience but it might be worth looking into.

Also if you're curious about ADF Dedicant work there are several of us keeping blogs of our progress with it. Mine and I think a few others are in the religious blog link section http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/vblinklist.php?do=showcat&catid=1

Thanks :). I'll check out your blogs and probably lurk around the neo-druidry SIG for a while if no-one minds? Think I'll do a comparison of ADF and TDB and see which might be the best fit.
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
2487 Views
Last post March 22, 2013, 09:52:57 am
by Gaudior
5 Replies
1494 Views
Last post January 31, 2013, 12:52:40 pm
by Aiwelin
2 Replies
1412 Views
Last post March 30, 2013, 04:27:32 am
by Naomi J
OBOD or ADF

Started by Geroth « 1 2 3 » Neo-Druidry SIG

33 Replies
13632 Views
Last post July 31, 2013, 11:02:02 am
by Wanderer
3 Replies
2555 Views
Last post October 30, 2017, 12:42:55 pm
by fatcatspats

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall