Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: a better name?  (Read 1719 times)

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
a better name?
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:16:55 am »
Hello,

As I mentioned in the other section of the forums on celtic reconstructionism; I dislike the name Celtic Reconstructionist polytheism/paganism. I am aware that it was chosen pricesly because it was cumbersome and would not be taken by others. Still I have a dislike for the name for how cumbersome it is.

So I thought I ask about what other terms exist and if we could have a name for our practices. Such as how norse paganism has asatru and heathenry as terms for their religious beliefs.

-Herkles

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: a better name?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:58 am »
Quote from: herkles;126624
So I thought I ask about what other terms exist and if we could have a name for our practices. Such as how norse paganism has asatru and heathenry as terms for their religious beliefs.

You're welcome to create any self-identifier you like.  Are you looking to be part of an existing group?

Brina

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:44 am »
Hello,

As I mentioned in the other section of the forums on celtic reconstructionism; I dislike the name Celtic Reconstructionist polytheism/paganism. I am aware that it was chosen pricesly because it was cumbersome and would not be taken by others. Still I have a dislike for the name for how cumbersome it is.

-Herkles

It's really just an umbrella term for a group of religions that happen to fall under the Celtic label and apply a certain methodology (and arguably adhere to certain values/attitudes as laid out by the CR FAQ and other early materials). Most people use their own labels that are specific to the culture their practices are based in. Those can be specific to a group or individual.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »
Hello,

-Herkles

I prefer to call myself Págánacht, as it means pagan or heathen in Irish Gaelic. There's a list of useful names here: (http://www.paganachd.com/faq/whatiscr.html#everyonecr)

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:39:45 am »
Hello,

-Herkles

I've heard lots - Senistrognata (I believe this roughly means 'ancestral customs'), Aurrad ('member of the tribe'), Ildiachas (polytheism), and, recently, Creideamh Sí (or 'fairy faith') - which I'm thinking of taking on board as a name for what I do.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34:46 am »

So I thought I ask about what other terms exist and if we could have a name for our practices.

The Romano-Britons simply called it the "old religion," to distinguish it from the "new" religion of Christianity.

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:40:26 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;126625
You're welcome to create any self-identifier you like.  Are you looking to be part of an existing group?

Brina

The only group I know of is Gaol Nofa, but being that I am currently in the southern US at college, my college doesn't have a group either. Anyways, I would hope to and like to join a group at some point in my life.

Quote from: MattyG;126689
I prefer to call myself Págánacht, as it means pagan or heathen in Irish Gaelic. There's a list of useful names here: (http://www.paganachd.com/faq/whatiscr.html#everyonecr)

Thanks, I will take another look at the CR faq.

Quote from: Naomi J;126722
I've heard lots - Senistrognata (I believe this roughly means 'ancestral customs'), Aurrad ('member of the tribe'), Ildiachas (polytheism), and, recently, Creideamh Sí (or 'fairy faith') - which I'm thinking of taking on board as a name for what I do.

Hmm, thanks for some more options. :)

-herkles

Tags: