Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Why do you choose/worship a god/goddess?  (Read 2053 times)

occulta

• View Profile
Why do you choose/worship a god/goddess?
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:35 pm »
Do you think it's best to follow a god/goddess because they have similar aspects to you so you're more connected or because they have different aspects that you can learn?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Why do you choose/worship a god/goddess?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »
Quote from: occulta;103244
Do you think it's best to follow a god/goddess because they have similar aspects to you so you're more connected or because they have different aspects that you can learn?

I've never thought of it from the "connection" aspect. I've once approached a deity for learning--specifically, Set, because I wanted to confirm for myself that he's not the Kemetic Satan. (For what it's worth, he's not, although if you get the chaotic side of him he's not always . . . comfortable to work with.)

I can't articulate why I chose to worship so many of my gods in the first place. I can tell you I keep worshipping Bast--under whatever name she desires--because she saved my life, has listened to my prayers, has been patient, and is just overall worthy of worship. Other than that, the words gum up in my brain and won't come out.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:26 am »

That's really not how it happened for me. For years the idea of deities never clicked for me at all, on any level. And then one day things changed, I was made aware of the presence of one in particular and that opened a lot of "doors" for me. I can't really shut it out, I wouldn't really want to. It's just a presence that's always there. :)

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:15 am »

My answer to this question is: both. I know in my own practice I would have never come to understand how to work with some of the deities I work with without having some common ground. On the flip side, if I didn't have something to strive for/accept that it's a part of me I may have not known before if I didn't find the ones with "different" aspects.

I think if I were to connect only with deities who only has similar aspects, I would be placing myself in a vacuum. If I decided to only connect with deities with different aspects, then there may be a disconnect of understanding, and I would miss what I can gain from working both sides.

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »

im not really a super intense worshipper >.,> but i go for Apollo when i get into it. mostly cuz there was always SOMETHIN about him that i always really liked whenever he came up but i could never tell whut. then i heard about gods choosing people or being drawn to them or whatever. and that was good enough for me so i just went all Apollo fan-boy C:

NOW i found more reasons to like him. i like the sun and art and prophecy is pretty cool. also nothin wrong with youth

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:03:59 am »

For me, it wasn't much of a choice... i was playing around with the idea of the Norse gods, the Celtic, even the Roman and Greeks, but Bast smacked me around the head and pretty much told me outright i was hers..  with her came Djhwty and a little while later Inpw/Inwp came along too..

I am not a great worshipper, I don't have an altar space or anything like that.. But Bast knows that and still accepts what I do offer her, Djhwty just likes to teach, he seems to take my learning his lesson as offering enough.

Dan

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:05:16 am »

Initially it was the former, but I keep getting tapped by others who have things to teach me - so it's a combination of both really.

iisabelle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:56 am »

The deities I currently work with just felt right, and now I know that it was indeed them that were speaking to me because of the nature of the divine things that are happening in my life right now. Also, I just kind of went with the particular deities and it turned out when I looked into them that they were exactly the kinds of deities I need right now.

However, this is not how most people choose/worship god(desse)s.

In answer to your direct question, I think you can do both. However, from a personal development, I think many deities choose people because they have things that they can work on in their lives. But the other way you mentioned wouldn't be going about it wrong at all. Do what you feel.

NCPilot

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

I worship Luna because I am a night person, I love the moon and walking around at night because it's so peaceful and calm, it's a great way to wind down from the hectic day.  So I feel a connection to Luna because of my admiration of her beautiful moon and night.

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »

I feel that my deities, some of them thwapped me. Set is my patron God.  When it comes down to it I think the best thing is to follow your heart. I can't say why Set thwapped me or why I connect with the certain Gods/Goddesses that I do.  I feel that deities that have different and similar aspects are both best to follow. You can learn a lot from them.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:38:33 am »

I follow the gods who seemed interested in responding to me, and I think that to some extent I was 'called' by them. But they're all extremely different from me, and that does teach me a lot. I would never have chosen a goddess like the Morrigan if, say, I'd been inventing a goddess for myself. (For one thing, she asks me to do too much work... :D: )
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: