[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Poll

Whose Side were You On?

chaeans
4 (15.4%)
rojans
22 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Whose Side of the Trojan War are You On?  (Read 4418 times)

Astani

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Whose Side of the Trojan War are You On?
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:44 am »
This is just for fun. Your reasons could be as simple as I worship this god, etc. I, for one, sided with the Trojans because I liked the pairing of Helen and Paris :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:55:10 am by Astani »

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Whose Side of the Trojan War are You On?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:41 am »
Quote from: Astani;105055
This is just for fun. Your reasons could be as simple as I worship this god, etc. I, for one, sided with the Trojans because I liked the pairing of Helen and Paris :)

Hector FTW!

And most of my favourite Olympians are on the Trojan side, so there's that.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:22:27 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;105056
Hector FTW!

And most of my favourite Olympians are on the Trojan side, so there's that.

The Trojans! Hector fought for his God's and country!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:23:30 am by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

As much as I <3 Odysseus, I'm gonna have to go with the Trojans too. Paris may or may not have been the tooliest of ancient tools (he invented the screw, amirite?) but the rest of 'em were just doing the best they could to not get completely destroyed.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Whose Side of the Trojan War are You On?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:32:50 am »

I have to go with the Trojans. I've always been fascinated by Cassandra. And I played Iphigenia in my university's production of The Orestia, so I have a bit of a bias against Agamemnon. :p
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:46:07 am »

Where is the "sit on the sidelines and watch both sides destroy each other" option?  I honestly have zero sympathy for both the Achaeans and the Trojans.  And this is tied to my dislike of Helen as a character.  All that fighting for someone who is clearly a sociopath?  Best to just chain her to a rock and feed her to a sea monster.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:50:49 am »

I really don't have a side, but if I had to choose, I'd back the Achaeans because that's the side Athena backed.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:19:34 am »

I have to agree with Mel

Both sides did things that led up to this conflict, both sides did horrors - all at the will of the Gods.

I'll sit this one out, share some popcorn and beer and wait for the dust to settle.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:40 am »

I'll go with the Achaeans because I side with Hera. I would have given the golden apple to her if I were Paris, but maybe I just think her promise of royal power is more appealing than someone else's floozy of a wife lol.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:39 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;105099
I'll go with the Achaeans because I side with Hera. I would have given the golden apple to her if I were Paris, but maybe I just think her promise of royal power is more appealing than someone else's floozy of a wife lol.

Paris was destined to bring about Troy's ruin.  Given how destiny worked in these stories, the same outcome would have happened no matter which goddess he gave the apple to.  

So if he picked Hera or Athena, he would suddenly become an Alexander the Great type figure, conquering the Hittites and possibly displacing Agamemnon as the High King of the Greeks.  Troy, now the center and capitol of a vast empire becomes a tantalizing target to the Sea Peoples a few decades later.

Or I may have been over thinking this a bit much....

My Spiritual Blog

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:13 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;105056
Hector FTW!

Yes! Hector, woooooo! Hector is one of the few characters in the story I sympathized with.

Agamemnon was an ass, Achilles acted like a pouty drama queen. Granted I couldn't stand Paris either. I think the Trojans should have thrown him out on his delicate buttocks.

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;105101
Paris was destined to bring about Troy's ruin.  Given how destiny worked in these stories, the same outcome would have happened no matter which goddess he gave the apple to.  

So if he picked Hera or Athena, he would suddenly become an Alexander the Great type figure, conquering the Hittites and possibly displacing Agamemnon as the High King of the Greeks.  Troy, now the center and capitol of a vast empire becomes a tantalizing target to the Sea Peoples a few decades later.

Or I may have been over thinking this a bit much....

Indeed, Hector is probably one of the few characters I tolerate. Pity he killed Patroclus.

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »

I've always  been fascinated by Troy and having finally got to walk  the streets last summer my answer just has to be Troy!

Astani

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;105070
All that fighting for someone who is clearly a sociopath?  Best to just chain her to a rock and feed her to a sea monster.

That would've made for a very short book then haha! I'm not too far in the Iliad (I think I'm way past the part where Aphrodite got attacked by Ajax(?)) but what makes you say Helen is a sociopath? All I remember getting from her is that she's kinda bleh and scared of Aphrodite.

I'd have given Hera the apple, too, actually. Hers was the best prize I think. But then you could also get to be king by winning wars so maybe Athena's... haha I can't pick.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:55 pm »
Quote from: Astani;105122
That would've made for a very short book then haha! I'm not too far in the Iliad (I think I'm way past the part where Aphrodite got attacked by Ajax(?)) but what makes you say Helen is a sociopath? All I remember getting from her is that she's kinda bleh and scared of Aphrodite.

I'd have given Hera the apple, too, actually. Hers was the best prize I think. But then you could also get to be king by winning wars so maybe Athena's... haha I can't pick.

A Reminder:

Astani,

If you use the multi-quote function, please remember to keep the quote code of both quotes.  In this post, it looks like the bit of Carnelian's post you are replying to is from one of mine.

Thanks,
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff.

My Spiritual Blog

Tags: