collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: When Is a New Goddess Born?  (Read 2096 times)

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • Posts: 2872
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 290
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
When Is a New Goddess Born?
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »
As a birder, I'm in the midst of the spring songbird migration madness--my equivalent of a holy month of Ramadan. Probably because I'm in total birding immersion right now, on a lark (so to speak) I decided that birders need their own patron deity.

Thus, Avia, goddess of feathered bliss, was born! She's a bird-related goddess, yes, but more specifically she is the goddess of birdwatching: incredibly beautiful but sometimes cruel (as when we birders miss that sought-after sighting), and thus she must be appeased by human sacrifice (a nod to the common locution among us birders of referring to the guy who leaves right before the best bird appears as the "sacrificial birder").

What all this playful musing got me thinking is...when does a deity become a full-fledged deity? Is Avia "real"? Can she ever become "real"? I suspect the answer is going to hinge greatly on the hardness or softness of one's polytheism, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

My own thinking on this, as a Carvel polytheist (semi-soft, with a twist), is that right now there's potential in Avia...but she can't become a full-fledged (pun intended) goddess until she exists in story. Right now, she's kind of a placeholder; a loose metaphorical construction. She has to exist in a myth, her flesh filled out by her deeds and relationships, before she can fully take flight.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:08:18 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Dashifen

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 29
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://dashifen.com
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:21 pm »
Quote from: Altair;52877
Right now, she's kind of a placeholder; a loose metaphorical construction. She has to exist in a myth, her flesh filled out by her deeds and relationships, before she can fully take flight.

 
Have you tried speaking with Her?  You might be surprised to find that She has a mythology of some kind, a history, as a spirit of the place or of the land.  Maybe not a full-fledged (love it!) Goddess, but certainly a Power.

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »
Quote from: Altair;52877

Your thoughts?


Cool question. I think a myth would flesh/feather her out more personality wise as myths do, but with most it seems like the myth must withstand the test of time and be told by several people and documented.

You know, there may be a shortcut. To coin a word it must fulfill certain requirements. I forget what they all are, but I was involved with a project to coin a word once. There were several requirements but my team had only one of them to accomplish: to use the word appropriately so often and in different contexts so that it would be in print frequently enough for it to be seen and accepted as a word. The project head could then submit links and other evidence that the word was used to mean the definition he had written and submitted. Here is one site with a simple six step process. (I think the process our project head used was similar. Though, come to think of it, I not only don't remember the word, I don't know if he ever got it coined. It sure was fun participating though!)

Anyway, if you write her definition as the proper noun goddess of feathered bliss, and get it recognized enough, she may be acknowledged as the deity that way. Time saved: thousands of years perhaps.:)

And you already have a built in population that might be apt to use the word all over. You could totally make her fly. There are birders all over the globe!

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • Posts: 2872
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 290
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:30:50 pm »
Quote from: Dashifen;52907
Have you tried speaking with Her?  You might be surprised to find that She has a mythology of some kind, a history, as a spirit of the place or of the land.  Maybe not a full-fledged (love it!) Goddess, but certainly a Power.


There's always the possibility you hint at: that my mind mused playfully in that direction for a reason, guided by a Power seeking a contemporary guise...
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • Posts: 2872
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 290
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;52910
Time saved: thousands of years perhaps.:)



Ethnocultural shortcuts! Excellent!

Your idea of mirroring word creation techniques is intriguing. I'll check out the link.

And in the spirit of your usage-in-context suggestion: The past two days in Central Park have been Avia-blessed; the weather has been crappy, but great birds have been dripping from the trees.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Lokabrenna

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 829
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »
Quote from: Altair;52877

Your thoughts?


I read an interesting story on another forum recently. Basically, this person and her husband were having trouble conceiving. She's a fan of the Kushiel's Legacy series, and it suddenly occurred to her to light a candle to Eisheth (in the books, D'Angeline women can only become pregnant after lighting a candle and praying to the goddess). Well, I think you can guess what happened! :)

I should mention here that Eisheth is a succubus-like figure in Jewish folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisheth but she's not Jacqueline Carey's Eisheth, who is a goddess of healing and the arts (especially music and storytelling). So is book!Eisheth "real"? Maybe, maybe not, the point is that performing that ritual worked when nothing else did.

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;53013
I read an interesting story on another forum recently. Basically, this person and her husband were having trouble conceiving. She's a fan of the Kushiel's Legacy series, and it suddenly occurred to her to light a candle to Eisheth (in the books, D'Angeline women can only become pregnant after lighting a candle and praying to the goddess). Well, I think you can guess what happened! :)

I should mention here that Eisheth is a succubus-like figure in Jewish folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisheth but she's not Jacqueline Carey's Eisheth, who is a goddess of healing and the arts (especially music and storytelling). So is book!Eisheth "real"? Maybe, maybe not, the point is that performing that ritual worked when nothing else did.

 I think for your birder diety to gain myth and solidify,you'll need to spread the news of her,then release her to the world and see how she grows/evolves.
lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Juniperberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 1891
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:21 am »
Quote from: Altair;52877
As a birder, I'm in the midst of the spring songbird migration madness--my equivalent of a holy month of Ramadan. Probably because I'm in total birding immersion right now, on a lark (so to speak) I decided that birders need their own patron deity.

Thus, Avia, goddess of feathered bliss, was born! She's a bird-related goddess, yes, but more specifically she is the goddess of birdwatching: incredibly beautiful but sometimes cruel (as when we birders miss that sought-after sighting), and thus she must be appeased by human sacrifice (a nod to the common locution among us birders of referring to the guy who leaves right before the best bird appears as the "sacrificial birder").

What all this playful musing got me thinking is...when does a deity become a full-fledged deity? Is Avia "real"? Can she ever become "real"? I suspect the answer is going to hinge greatly on the hardness or softness of one's polytheism, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

My own thinking on this, as a Carvel polytheist (semi-soft, with a twist), is that right now there's potential in Avia...but she can't become a full-fledged (pun intended) goddess until she exists in story. Right now, she's kind of a placeholder; a loose metaphorical construction. She has to exist in a myth, her flesh filled out by her deeds and relationships, before she can fully take flight.

Your thoughts?

 

I guess I'd say that you put the help wanted ad out there, and that any spirit is welcome to apply for the position of Avia. Whichever spirit accepts your offerrings, and has a noticeable beneficial gift in return, would be the start of it. And maybe she needn't be a global goddess, just one in your little sphere of bird-watching.

Something similar sort of took place with the roman-celts-germanics. An entity of the river, forest, hill, or concept (war, family) would be appealed to and at the fulfillment of the request, a stone would be raised in honor of the deity and become a full-fledged cult center.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

earth_dragon

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 161
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: When Is a New Goddess Born?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Altair;52877
As a birder, I'm in the midst of the spring songbird migration madness--my equivalent of a holy month of Ramadan. Probably because I'm in total birding immersion right now, on a lark (so to speak) I decided that birders need their own patron deity.

Thus, Avia, goddess of feathered bliss, was born! She's a bird-related goddess, yes, but more specifically she is the goddess of birdwatching: incredibly beautiful but sometimes cruel (as when we birders miss that sought-after sighting), and thus she must be appeased by human sacrifice (a nod to the common locution among us birders of referring to the guy who leaves right before the best bird appears as the "sacrificial birder").

What all this playful musing got me thinking is...when does a deity become a full-fledged deity? Is Avia "real"? Can she ever become "real"? I suspect the answer is going to hinge greatly on the hardness or softness of one's polytheism, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

My own thinking on this, as a Carvel polytheist (semi-soft, with a twist), is that right now there's potential in Avia...but she can't become a full-fledged (pun intended) goddess until she exists in story. Right now, she's kind of a placeholder; a loose metaphorical construction. She has to exist in a myth, her flesh filled out by her deeds and relationships, before she can fully take flight.

Your thoughts?

 
This is a fascinating question.

I think everyone here makes terrific points, but something else that occurred to me was the concept of the Tibetan Thought Form. Basically, it's the idea that if enough people concentrate on the same thought/idea long and hard enough, they can will it into existence.

Perhaps in some cases the same can be said for the Gods. Part of it comes down to the old chicken and egg question, I think. Maybe the Gods came first in some cases and then their followers; but, in other cases, maybe the people came first and the god was born second.

Like I said, it's truly a fascinating question to think about.  :)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
501 Views
Last post December 07, 2013, 03:57:14 pm
by Viv
16 Replies
1842 Views
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:57:23 pm
by Jenett
2 Replies
691 Views
Last post September 25, 2017, 10:25:48 am
by Jainarayan
14 Replies
1244 Views
Last post January 12, 2018, 06:09:59 pm
by Louisvillian
6 Replies
321 Views
Last post September 01, 2019, 02:18:04 pm
by Donal2018

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall