Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Visiting That God At His House And Other Stories  (Read 5782 times)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting That God At His House And Other Stories
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:33 am »
Quote from: LiminalAuggie;64112
A SIG would definitely be helpful. I don't know if I'm even at the stage yet where Mysteries would factor into my work, since I haven't definitively identified the deity I'm working with. Not sure He even has a concrete identity, but I keep getting little *tugs* of intuition and this thread definitely has the feeling of something like...being on the right track. Possibly like a map of the topography where this god's house might be.

definately!
this thread makes me feel happy!
like I finally found a therapy group or something,lol.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 05:18:29 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;64103
would it count for any deity? or just some arbitrary designation of rare obscure deity(s)?

I was thinking yesterday, when I read the thread, about the way it doesn't just apply to deities who are generally obscure, but to those who have specific obscurities.  F'ex, as Aster pointed out, Brigid in general is anything but obscure - but references to her that aren't about the saint are few and brief.  Or Coyote - he's pretty well-known these days, at the general level, but tracking down and sorting out specifics is complicated in several ways, and info can be sparse.  (To the extent that "deity" is the right term for the Chaotic Canine - but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms, and probably not one we need to open; a broad and loose definition seems more useful to us than quibbling about what qualifies an entity to be a Real Deity Tee Em.)

That can extend to pretty much any deity/culture whose religiocultural continuity has been broken - the Religio Romana and Hellenic recons may have a wealth of contemporary written lore that survived, but it's pretty clear that there's huge amounts that either didn't get written down (perhaps because they were the sort of cultural assumptions that, in context, went without saying) or the writings didn't survive.  So while their deities may be pretty much the definition of non-obscure, there are still things about those deities that are obscure.

So, yeah, I don't think it's useful to draw an arbitrary line on the basis of whether the deity is sufficiently rare and obscure - I think it's more relevant that the practitioner be seeking/working with info/knowledge that's in some way obscure or esoteric.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;64106
I would imagine we might start trying tio define what is a mystery and eventually how one might go about 'revive' mysteries of the past. A limitating factor to the discussion might be how much one is willing/able to discuss publicly about one's experience -ecstatic or communicational- with one's gods.

Some of those who've posted here (and some who haven't but could have) have a more-or-less-shared understanding of Mystery; I think a good start point would be for those people to post their definition(s)/understanding (though the concept is shared, each person's phrasing might vary, and it seems useful to have a wide range of phrasings).  From there, we can discuss how that applies or doesn't apply to each of us, how it may take quite different forms in different cultures and whether or not it seems to be the same concept or not, etc, and eventually hammer out a definition (or possibly a longish concept statement:)!) that fits for the group.

I'll start:  a Mystery is that which cannot be fully explained in words, or provided as information, but which must be experienced to be really understood.

----------

The limiting factor of too-public discussion is on my mind, too - there are definitely things that I'll talk about differently, or in less detail, if it's too available.  OTOH, being too closed can have significant drawbacks - some degree of outside accessibility can keep us from becoming moribund or too narrow in scope, and quite a bit of what we're likely to discuss has applicability beyond what we're doing.  I'm thinking perhaps the same restrictions as the Cauldron Community forum - it can be read and posted to by anyone who's a member of TC, but it's invisible to non-members and (IIRC) doesn't show up in search engine results.  Thoughts?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Visiting That God At His House And Other Stories
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;64184

----------

The limiting factor of too-public discussion is on my mind, too - there are definitely things that I'll talk about differently, or in less detail, if it's too available.  OTOH, being too closed can have significant drawbacks - some degree of outside accessibility can keep us from becoming moribund or too narrow in scope, and quite a bit of what we're likely to discuss has applicability beyond what we're doing.  I'm thinking perhaps the same restrictions as the Cauldron Community forum - it can be read and posted to by anyone who's a member of TC, but it's invisible to non-members and (IIRC) doesn't show up in search engine results.  Thoughts?

Sunflower

I like this idea, Sunflower.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;64184

I'll start:  a Mystery is that which cannot be fully explained in words, or provided as information, but which must be experienced to be really understood.

----------

I'm thinking perhaps the same restrictions as the Cauldron Community forum - it can be read and posted to by anyone who's a member of TC, but it's invisible to non-members and (IIRC) doesn't show up in search engine results.  Thoughts?

Sunflower

I cannot think of anything I want to add at the moment to your definition. It works for me though to my knowledge I have not participated in any religious mysteries.

I also like your idea about using the Cauldron Community. I don't feel super comfortable sharing recipes or ingredients for consciousness alterers in a totally public place. I'm going to be looking for spiritual helpers not recreational highs and I've lurked in enough places to know that recreational seekers will sometimes invade a community for the information.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Visiting That God At His House And Other Stories
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 11:02:20 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;64341

I also like your idea about using the Cauldron Community. I don't feel super comfortable sharing recipes or ingredients for consciousness alterers in a totally public place. I'm going to be looking for spiritual helpers not recreational highs and I've lurked in enough places to know that recreational seekers will sometimes invade a community for the information.

I agree completely!  The relative anonymity of the internet makes me willing to discuss many things I might not otherwise be comfortable sharing, but there is a limit.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:48 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;64342
I agree completely!  The relative anonymity of the internet makes me willing to discuss many things I might not otherwise be comfortable sharing, but there is a limit.

ditto all the aboves....!!
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:20 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;64342

Is anyone still interested in creating a SIG or group for this, or has the discussion moved elsewhere? I'm a latecomer to the thread, but I'd join either in a heartbeat.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 03:26:00 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);68122
Is anyone still interested in creating a SIG or group for this, or has the discussion moved elsewhere? I'm a latecomer to the thread, but I'd join either in a heartbeat.

look for mystery builder sig
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 03:33:05 am »
Quote from: spoOk;68123
look for mystery builder sig

Whoops, teaches me not to look under the General SIGS section (and to go searching at midnight)! Thanks so much. :)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Tags: