collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Trying to identify a forest god/dess  (Read 1267 times)

Lauvitra

• View Profile
  • Religion: Mix of Finnish recon and family trad
Re: Trying to identify a forest god/dess
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:02 am »
Quote from: Hrútsvinr;206116
This is helpful, and it kind of explains why I wasn't getting strong vibes from my research on either of them (of course, I'm not ruling them out yet).

Would you happen to have any sources that you like on Hiisi as a deity? So far the information I've found lists him as an aspect (or servant?) of Lempo and very little on Hiisi proper.

Unless you know Finnish, unfortunately, no. Most of the info I have found regarding him have been gathered from bits and pieces. A few lines from a poem here, another there. Descriptions from a spell, a couple mentions in a story. That kind of things.

It's also not made any easier by the fact that the word "hiisi" can refer to so many different things, as I said in my previous post. One really has to dig through a lot to find anything. The oldest written mentions of the word have been referring to the sacred places and ritual sites in forests. Almost as old are hints of something personified that makes these places sacred, and that is Hiisi as a deity. More recent sources (nineteenth century onwards or so) mostly use the word to refer to certain types of spirits and beings, and illness and curses brought on by these spirits.

Some poems and stories I know of also suggest that Hiisi and Lempo may actually be the same being. Some, on the other hand, have suggested that Lempo is Hiisi's wife (and yet other sources say that Lempo is male, and some say they have nothing to do with each other, so it gets tricky...).

If you do know Finnish and are ready to do a lot of reading to find the necessary bits and pieces to put things together, there is one website that is a real treasury in that regard. The site has a huge collection of folklore, old songs and poems. You can search for and find almost anything about Finnish mythology and folklore in there - but it is entirely in Finnish, so I don't know if that would help. Actually, now that I checked it, they do have an "in English" -button, but that just says "coming soon" when I click it, and I don't know how much of the content will be translated, or when. If you want, I can give you the link just in case.

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Heathenry
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 08:07:52 am »
Quote from: Lauvitra;206119
Unless you know Finnish, unfortunately, no. Most of the info I have found regarding him have been gathered from bits and pieces. A few lines from a poem here, another there. Descriptions from a spell, a couple mentions in a story. That kind of things.

It's also not made any easier by the fact that the word "hiisi" can refer to so many different things, as I said in my previous post. One really has to dig through a lot to find anything. The oldest written mentions of the word have been referring to the sacred places and ritual sites in forests. Almost as old are hints of something personified that makes these places sacred, and that is Hiisi as a deity. More recent sources (nineteenth century onwards or so) mostly use the word to refer to certain types of spirits and beings, and illness and curses brought on by these spirits.

Some poems and stories I know of also suggest that Hiisi and Lempo may actually be the same being. Some, on the other hand, have suggested that Lempo is Hiisi's wife (and yet other sources say that Lempo is male, and some say they have nothing to do with each other, so it gets tricky...).

If you do know Finnish and are ready to do a lot of reading to find the necessary bits and pieces to put things together, there is one website that is a real treasury in that regard. The site has a huge collection of folklore, old songs and poems. You can search for and find almost anything about Finnish mythology and folklore in there - but it is entirely in Finnish, so I don't know if that would help. Actually, now that I checked it, they do have an "in English" -button, but that just says "coming soon" when I click it, and I don't know how much of the content will be translated, or when. If you want, I can give you the link just in case.

Ahh, I see. It can be so hard to piece together things from folklore; thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, most of the words I know in Finnish are swearwords, but I would love a link to that website if you could send it to me; it could point me towards other sources to look at. I have access to a university library which has a pretty good variety of resources.

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Heathenry
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 05:53:52 am »
I've gotten this ~vibe~ around trees and forests for...pretty much my whole life, but I've been much more aware of it the past year or so. Since I get this vibe around pretty much every heavily wooded area I've been to, I think it's a deity rather than a local spirit.

So, I think I've narrowed it down to one of three deities: Cernunnos, Hiisi, or Veles. So far Veles seems the most likely, although he is much less associated with forests than the other deities - BUT his aspects of god of the underworld, water, and magic are really ringing true.

I'll see where this takes me. :)

I wanted to thank everyone for offering information and suggestions!!

Tags: