Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Technology, worship, and unverified personal gnosis - thoughts?  (Read 4323 times)

pvtSMR

• View Profile
  • Religion: Quaker Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Technology, worship, and unverified personal gnosis - thoughts?
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:47:09 pm »
So, I follow Ogma and Brigid from the Celtic pantheon. My personal encounters with them have been unexpectedly and increasingly modern, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with them or other deities, as well.

With Ogma, it took me eight months to figure out he was calling me, in the first place. He kept appearing in my dreams in the avatar of a teacher I had in middle school, but without that teacher's physical disability or gruffness, just his patience, sense of humor, and face (more or less; I don't see faces well in dreams). When I finally realized those dreams were someone reaching out to me, it wasn't hard to find; that teacher was my spelling bee coach, and Ogma is most strongly associated with inventing writing.

Thereafter, I haven't had any more dreams from him, except for him to ask for a very specific form of offering. My job is as a transcriptionist. I spend all day changing the spoken word into the written word. He just wanted that dedicated to him. Easy enough, but not what I expected!

Then, with Brigid, she called me many years ago, but I had only worked with her off and on, usually with regard to knitting or other crafting. But she never seemed to want anything truly traditional from me.

Yesterday, just as I was waking up, and letting my mind wander as I usually do, I was thinking about Brigid and how I didn't know exactly what she wanted as an offering or shrine, especially since I live in a condo and can't have a fire. And I got, clear as day, a voice saying, "You idiot, you have a hearth!" and a mental image of my UPC (uninterruptible power supply) box that my computer is plugged into. It's basically a giant backup battery combined with a surge protector, so when the power goes out, my computer can stay on for a while and can be shut down safely.

I had never thought of it that way, but it is, in a way, a hearth, in that I spend most of my time at this computer, working from home, carrying out my daily tasks, and it's my cozy corner in our living room for watching YouTube or playing games when work is done. And it's the device that keeps that computer safe and ready to start, like banked coals in a fireplace.

I drink a lot of tea, and yesterday when I was making my second cup, I asked if she'd like some, and felt the affirmative. And, my tea warmer sits on my desk directly above the UPC on the floor. So now we're going to have tea together every afternoon, and she can partake from my cup, which is sitting not on a fire but on a warming plate, which is apparently close enough!

Has anyone else been asked for a distinctly modern or technological offering or form of worship? Since they both decided to approach me this way, now I'm super curious. :)

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
Re: Technology, worship, and unverified personal gnosis - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:01:13 pm »
Has anyone else been asked for a distinctly modern or technological offering or form of worship? Since they both decided to approach me this way, now I'm super curious. :)

Well, my deity is pretty unconventional and modern to start with---but he definitely seems to like color-change LEDs and a grow light over regular candles.  And the Egyptian deities I've worked with seem to be very open to the idea of modern updates as well( until my ice machine broke down they *loved* pebble ice offerings), though there I feel like a blend of Ancient and Modern is appreciated.  So, no, it's not that unusual.  Someone once upon a time had to be the first person to use a skin drum in a ritual, or new-fangled candlewax instead of burning sticks, after all.  I think generally they would prefer us to use "greener" tech when possible, but that's likely true in all aspects of our lives.  (And an LED might possibly be less impactful that way than a burning candle, when you think of it, as well as safer).

Tags: