Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Taranis and/or Taran  (Read 2438 times)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Taranis and/or Taran
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:18 pm »
Hey folks.  So I think I might have finally found a god that I am interested in working with (up to this point my relationship with the Divine has been only goddesses).  I'm not sure if it is Taranis or Taran; my polytheism is fairly firm, but with some wiggle room.  All of the sources that I have come across seem slightly Wiccish, which is ok because my practice is Wiccan-influenced, but decidedly not-Wicca.  Some of the sources even make Him out to be a violent god eager to consume the flesh of His sacrifices.  

So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.  Resources that are free would be best lol.  I can get a hold of some books through Gale and EBSCO through my school, but that's about it other than the internet.

Anything that you can offer would be hugely appreciated :)

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:01:37 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;122628
So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.  Resources that are free would be best lol.  I can get a hold of some books through Gale and EBSCO through my school, but that's about it other than the internet. Anything that you can offer would be hugely appreciated :)

He's cognate with Tuirenn in Irish myth, Brighid's first husband and father of the three "Children of Tuirenn." As for Taranis himself, he has a beard, carries a big wheel and holds a lightning bolt in the Gaulish iconography- I'd start by meditating on that image and just see if he shows up...

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;122654
He's cognate with Tuirenn in Irish myth, Brighid's first husband and father of the three "Children of Tuirenn." As for Taranis himself, he has a beard, carries a big wheel and holds a lightning bolt in the Gaulish iconography- I'd start by meditating on that image and just see if he shows up...

Thanks for the info, Gilbride.  I'll look into Tuirenn too just to be thorough.  How exactly is 'Tuirenn' pronounced?

So Taranis is associated with the wheel?  I had read that it was picked up through a connection with another god, I can't remember which off the top of my head though.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:58 am »
Quote from: Breeze;122774
Thanks for the info, Gilbride.  I'll look into Tuirenn too just to be thorough.  How exactly is 'Tuirenn' pronounced? So Taranis is associated with the wheel?  I had read that it was picked up through a connection with another god, I can't remember which off the top of my head though.

"TUR-rin," roughly. The Gaulish deity with the wheel and lightning bolt is usually interpreted as Taranis because Taranis means "thunder." A few scholars quibble about that, but it's a pretty reasonable connection to make. After the Roman conquest, the Gallo-Romans put up a number of "Jupiter pillars" which may be connected to Taranis reinterpreted as Jupiter, so you could google that too.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:58 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;122860
"TUR-rin," roughly. The Gaulish deity with the wheel and lightning bolt is usually interpreted as Taranis because Taranis means "thunder." A few scholars quibble about that, but it's a pretty reasonable connection to make. After the Roman conquest, the Gallo-Romans put up a number of "Jupiter pillars" which may be connected to Taranis reinterpreted as Jupiter, so you could google that too.

I think those Jupiter pillars may have been what I remembered regarding the wheel.  Thank you again for this info!  I meditated on that image as you had suggested and I received quite a few impressions.  I think I may try to work with Him since there is some sort of connection.  Most of what I felt was just a raw power; as cliche as it is, kind of like what you feel when a loud clap of thunder catches you off guard.

Siannan13

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • la-grotte-sacree
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;122628

So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.

I would suggest this page : http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

and if you read French, or with a translator :
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/search/?p_p_action=1&
http://sanctuaire-belenos.weebly.com/taranis.html
http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encyclopedie/taranis-3450.htm

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Siannan13;122931
I would suggest this page : http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

and if you read French, or with a translator :
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/search/?p_p_action=1&
http://sanctuaire-belenos.weebly.com/taranis.html
http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encyclopedie/taranis-3450.htm

Thanks, Siannan!  I know a little French, but the translator will probably do a better job ;)

Tegan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:32:25 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;122654

I've heard this, but have been unable to locate source material.  Can anyone help me out?

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:52 pm »
Quote from: Tegan;153312
I've heard this, but have been unable to locate source material.  Can anyone help me out?

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

Tegan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;153361
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

I went to the site, but couldn't locate where they got their information from.  Which myth mentions Brigid as the mother of Tuirienn's sons?

Tegan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:02:49 am »
Quote from: Tegan;153367
I went to the site, but couldn't locate where they got their information from.  Which myth mentions Brigid as the mother of Tuirienn's sons?

Oops, that site is actually okay.  I was thinking of another.  Sorry for posting while sleepy.  But is it just the name "Tuirienn" or "Taran" that links him to Taranis?  Or are there other historical clues and stories?

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:06 am »
Quote from: Tegan;153397
Oops, that site is actually okay.  I was thinking of another.  Sorry for posting while sleepy.  But is it just the name "Tuirienn" or "Taran" that links him to Taranis?  Or are there other historical clues and stories?

Just the names I think, but they are all the same name. Taran is "thunder," Taranis is "thunder," Tuireann is "thunder."

Tags: