collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 26 September 2020: $544 donated. Only $166 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


Author Topic: Taranis and/or Taran  (Read 1891 times)

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Taranis and/or Taran
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:18 pm »
Hey folks.  So I think I might have finally found a god that I am interested in working with (up to this point my relationship with the Divine has been only goddesses).  I'm not sure if it is Taranis or Taran; my polytheism is fairly firm, but with some wiggle room.  All of the sources that I have come across seem slightly Wiccish, which is ok because my practice is Wiccan-influenced, but decidedly not-Wicca.  Some of the sources even make Him out to be a violent god eager to consume the flesh of His sacrifices.  

So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.  Resources that are free would be best lol.  I can get a hold of some books through Gale and EBSCO through my school, but that's about it other than the internet.

Anything that you can offer would be hugely appreciated :)

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:01:37 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;122628
So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.  Resources that are free would be best lol.  I can get a hold of some books through Gale and EBSCO through my school, but that's about it other than the internet. Anything that you can offer would be hugely appreciated :)


He's cognate with Tuirenn in Irish myth, Brighid's first husband and father of the three "Children of Tuirenn." As for Taranis himself, he has a beard, carries a big wheel and holds a lightning bolt in the Gaulish iconography- I'd start by meditating on that image and just see if he shows up...

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;122654
He's cognate with Tuirenn in Irish myth, Brighid's first husband and father of the three "Children of Tuirenn." As for Taranis himself, he has a beard, carries a big wheel and holds a lightning bolt in the Gaulish iconography- I'd start by meditating on that image and just see if he shows up...


Thanks for the info, Gilbride.  I'll look into Tuirenn too just to be thorough.  How exactly is 'Tuirenn' pronounced?

So Taranis is associated with the wheel?  I had read that it was picked up through a connection with another god, I can't remember which off the top of my head though.

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:58 am »
Quote from: Breeze;122774
Thanks for the info, Gilbride.  I'll look into Tuirenn too just to be thorough.  How exactly is 'Tuirenn' pronounced? So Taranis is associated with the wheel?  I had read that it was picked up through a connection with another god, I can't remember which off the top of my head though.


"TUR-rin," roughly. The Gaulish deity with the wheel and lightning bolt is usually interpreted as Taranis because Taranis means "thunder." A few scholars quibble about that, but it's a pretty reasonable connection to make. After the Roman conquest, the Gallo-Romans put up a number of "Jupiter pillars" which may be connected to Taranis reinterpreted as Jupiter, so you could google that too.

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:58 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;122860
"TUR-rin," roughly. The Gaulish deity with the wheel and lightning bolt is usually interpreted as Taranis because Taranis means "thunder." A few scholars quibble about that, but it's a pretty reasonable connection to make. After the Roman conquest, the Gallo-Romans put up a number of "Jupiter pillars" which may be connected to Taranis reinterpreted as Jupiter, so you could google that too.


I think those Jupiter pillars may have been what I remembered regarding the wheel.  Thank you again for this info!  I meditated on that image as you had suggested and I received quite a few impressions.  I think I may try to work with Him since there is some sort of connection.  Most of what I felt was just a raw power; as cliche as it is, kind of like what you feel when a loud clap of thunder catches you off guard.

Siannan13

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 14
  • Country: fr
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • la-grotte-sacree
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;122628

So...does anybody know of any reliable sources that I can look into about Him.  UPG is welcome too.  I really am just looking to get an accurate picture of Him and what He likes so I know how to make contact.

 
I would suggest this page : http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

and if you read French, or with a translator :
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/search/?p_p_action=1&
http://sanctuaire-belenos.weebly.com/taranis.html
http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encyclopedie/taranis-3450.htm

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Siannan13;122931
I would suggest this page : http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

and if you read French, or with a translator :
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/search/?p_p_action=1&
http://sanctuaire-belenos.weebly.com/taranis.html
http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encyclopedie/taranis-3450.htm


Thanks, Siannan!  I know a little French, but the translator will probably do a better job ;)

Tegan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:32:25 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;122654
He's cognate with Tuirenn in Irish myth, Brighid's first husband and father of the three "Children of Tuirenn." As for Taranis himself, he has a beard, carries a big wheel and holds a lightning bolt in the Gaulish iconography- I'd start by meditating on that image and just see if he shows up...

 I've heard this, but have been unable to locate source material.  Can anyone help me out?

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:52 pm »
Quote from: Tegan;153312
I've heard this, but have been unable to locate source material.  Can anyone help me out?


http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

Tegan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;153361
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_t/taran.html

 
I went to the site, but couldn't locate where they got their information from.  Which myth mentions Brigid as the mother of Tuirienn's sons?

Tegan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:02:49 am »
Quote from: Tegan;153367
I went to the site, but couldn't locate where they got their information from.  Which myth mentions Brigid as the mother of Tuirienn's sons?

Oops, that site is actually okay.  I was thinking of another.  Sorry for posting while sleepy.  But is it just the name "Tuirienn" or "Taran" that links him to Taranis?  Or are there other historical clues and stories?

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Taranis and/or Taran
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:06 am »
Quote from: Tegan;153397
Oops, that site is actually okay.  I was thinking of another.  Sorry for posting while sleepy.  But is it just the name "Tuirienn" or "Taran" that links him to Taranis?  Or are there other historical clues and stories?


Just the names I think, but they are all the same name. Taran is "thunder," Taranis is "thunder," Tuireann is "thunder."

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
962 Views
Last post April 12, 2012, 02:14:07 pm
by Caeruleuslady
5 Replies
2677 Views
Last post April 21, 2012, 11:07:02 am
by Aster Breo
3 Replies
1201 Views
Last post August 21, 2013, 02:35:18 pm
by Materialist
12 Replies
1427 Views
Last post April 06, 2014, 12:01:44 am
by PaganNotPerfect
1 Replies
1732 Views
Last post February 03, 2020, 12:59:09 pm
by Anon100

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal