collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Storm God altars  (Read 1458 times)

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Storm God altars
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:25:51 pm »
Hello friends,
So, I'm trying to make an altar for a storm god. (and I know the hard polytheists in the room are now saying "which one?") And the answer to which one is I don't know yet because I feel pretty strongly about two separate ones.
What I'd like to do, to say, kind of get to know the deities is to slowly make an altar. That way I can put a lot of thought into how they make me feel. (I judge nearly everything theologically based on my feelings... fact of life, sorry)
I'm asking this question because at present I don't have much money, and I don't want to make a commitment on buying anything until I got my facts straight... so does anybody got any free or very very cheap suggestions I could try?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Storm God altars
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;74037
Hello friends,
So, I'm trying to make an altar for a storm god. (and I know the hard polytheists in the room are now saying "which one?") And the answer to which one is I don't know yet because I feel pretty strongly about two separate ones.
What I'd like to do, to say, kind of get to know the deities is to slowly make an altar. That way I can put a lot of thought into how they make me feel. (I judge nearly everything theologically based on my feelings... fact of life, sorry)
I'm asking this question because at present I don't have much money, and I don't want to make a commitment on buying anything until I got my facts straight... so does anybody got any free or very very cheap suggestions I could try?

I base a lot off of my feelings, too.

Have you tried starting out with generic altar/shrine stuff, and saying, "okay, so who exactly am I making this for?" A small, but nice, bowl and plate from your cabinets should be okay for a start.

Maybe make small, culturally-specific offerings to each deity if possible and see what kind of response you get.

Or is there anything in particular you're drawn to find or get? It won't necessarily be directly related to either deity. For example, when Atum made his presence known, he wanted a mirror (one you set votive candles on). The thought just one day popped in my head that I should get a mirror and by the time I made it to Wal-mart I understood who it was for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:22:36 pm by Shine »
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Re: Storm God altars
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;74037
Hello friends,

Well, first question, Rainstorm, Snowstorm, or both?  Physical attributes are Wind and Precipitation, and sometimes Electricity with accompanying sound effects.  Also low air pressure (biggest one for me).  These are the obvious things to represent in a shrine.

Spiritual attributes vary.  Rain often comes with fertility aspects and purification.  Heavy rain and hail are destroyers.  Snow can be 'poor mans fertilizer,' a calm blanket over recovering land, or death shroud.  Wind is a messenger, bringing things or sending them away.  It can also bring the tornado.  Lightning is illuminating, as well as destructive, but always sudden.  Thunder is after-effects, echos.  Low air pressure is potential for movement, but chaotic and unpredictable.

Until you have a better idea of which Storm God you're talking to, or are interested in talking to, I suggest getting a better idea of what Storm you want.  Different cultures experienced different types of storms, different meteorological phenomena.  As such, each came at their storm god from a different angle.  Or you could decide you're talking with a regional entity.  The StormWind I've got a crush on is His own wind, though He doesn't mind when I call him Zephyrus.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags: