Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Statues of Deity X standing in for Deity Y  (Read 4222 times)

Keiyaku

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Statues of Deity X standing in for Deity Y
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »
My aunt recently gifted me a statue of the Virgin Mary. Even though I am not a devotee of the Virgin. This got me thinking.

In Japan, when Christianity was outlawed, Christians would often use statues of Kannon, Buddhist Bodhisatva of Salvation, as statues of the Virgin Mary. Often, these statues were inscribed with a hidden cross.

What does everyone else think of this practice?
Namu Amida Butsu!
Namu Yakushi Butsu!
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu!

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: Statues of Deity X standing in for Deity Y
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »
Quote from: Emrys;73674
My aunt recently gifted me a statue of the Virgin Mary. Even though I am not a devotee of the Virgin. This got me thinking.

In Japan, when Christianity was outlawed, Christians would often use statues of Kannon, Buddhist Bodhisatva of Salvation, as statues of the Virgin Mary. Often, these statues were inscribed with a hidden cross.

Do you specifically mean the practice of worshiping one deity in secret with a statue of another deity, or do you mean generally putting, say, a statue of Venus on an altar and worshiping in front of it with the idea that it's Freya?
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:06:23 pm »

In the sense of "all gods are the same gods/source" or for those who feel they must hide their true beliefs, I think this is an excellent alternative thinking. Or perhaps, for example, you really do see Freya as what most people think of as the Virgin Mary.

Obviously, to each their own, so long as the gods are not offended :)

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »

I think it's hardly an ideal way to work, but it is certainly a very common and historically-rooted response to having to practice one's religion in an oppressive/repressive environment, and people forced to keep their pieties secret have done it since time immemorial.  There are a lot of similar practices among indigenous people under colonization--look at the cultic practices around Our Lady of Guadalupe or La Santa Muerte, or around the syncretic forms of Catholicism and Islam in the rural Philippines and Indonesia--and among enslaved people--look at the way African diasporic religions developed, with saint equivalences and so on.
When we have to, we find ways to do what we know is true, even if it has to be concealed.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;73694
I think it's hardly an ideal way to work, but it is certainly a very common and historically-rooted response to having to practice one's religion in an oppressive/repressive environment, and people forced to keep their pieties secret have done it since time immemorial.

Valentine pretty much pegs it, I believe.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:35:46 pm »

I think it's okay if (a) there's no other option, (b) the deity in question is okay with it, and (c) the statue is at least similar to the deity's real form. For example, a statue of a puma would be an okay stand-in in my mind for Bast (assuming a and b), but a fish would not.

I imagine if you had no other options, the deity would be more likely to be okay with it.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »

It was an especially common practice in Byzantium, where pagans would often disguise deities like Apollo in icons of Christ. Which is ironic, because research suggests that the -forgive me- iconic look of Orthodox icons was first perfected in images of the Dii Consentes. But while I agree with others who said it's not really ideal, it's certainly nothing bad or unusual either.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:54:21 am »

I saw this thread referred at the bottom of another thread and it actually ties in with something I was thinking about the other day as I rebuilt my altars after moving.

Two of my primary goddesses are Latvian - Mara and Laima. Neither one, as you might imagine, has a whole lot of statuary available. Mara has been compared to the Catholic/Orthodox Mary, and Laima to the Hindu Lakshmi, and so I use statues of them on the altar. So far, nobody's complained. I think it helps, though, that the synchronization already existed so I had something to base my choice on.

I can't see any reason not to do this, as long as the deity doesn't mind.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Lorien35

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:55 pm »

The statue of the Virgin Mary stands for Erzuli Freda in condomble and Santeria, and she's the one I use, for the one I call the Lady, who is Freda, because she always has been, but I've never really thought of what was behind it because it comes from centuries of syncretism. I've seen drawings and pictures of her but on the altar it'll always be the Virgin Mary that stands.

My friend Murray uses a picture of St Brigit in proxy for the Godess Brighid as well, but I think that has to do with the catholic threads in his practises as much as it has to do with her.

Have you seen the Mists of Avalon? That final scene where she sees the Godess in the Virgin Mary was my first thought when I read your thread. I think the form of a God is for us, really, but if we see what they represent when we see their representation, whether it's something traditional or new doesn't really matter. A bit of a religious twist on it's the thought that counts.
Better they change than disappear.

I also think that the representation does change the God it stands for:
The Virgin Mary as the Lady stands for the traditions surviving despite efforts of slave owners, and it's a figure that is slightly different from the Loa that arrived from the coasts of Africa, more rebellious, secretive, landing strength as much as love and seduction. I don't know if I'm making any sense.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:00:54 pm »
Quote from: Lorien35;101123
The statue of the Virgin Mary stands for Erzuli Freda in condomble and Santeria, and

Within Santeria/Lukumi, the Orisha are honored; not the lwa.  Erzulie Freda is a lwa/loa and would be honored in Vodou.  I think you may mean Virgin Mary statues are used for Oshun in Santeria and Erzulie Freda in Haitian Vodou.  Within Candomble, the Orisha are honored; I'm not sure if some Houses also honor lwa/loa or not.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Lorien35

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;101129
Within Santeria/Lukumi, the Orisha are honored; not the lwa.  Erzulie Freda is a lwa/loa and would be honored in Vodou.  I think you may mean Virgin Mary statues are used for Oshun in Santeria and Erzulie Freda in Haitian Vodou.  Within Candomble, the Orisha are honored; I'm not sure if some Houses also honor lwa/loa or not.

Lol, you're probably right, my knowledge of Santeria is a lot sketchier than this of voodoo, but I know they have people who honour Freda and people who honour Oshun in Bahia, I think condomble is so mixed it's hard to tell what and who is doing what.

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 02:16:48 pm »

I think it has to do with context as well.  for example, using a statue of Hermes to represent Mercury if you follow the Roman pantheon rather than the Greek, I doubt would be a problem, especially if you are unable to affordably obtain an actual statue of Mercury where you live, but Hermes statues are avalible.  If there is necessity involved, and the statues are of similar Deitys I feel it is less likely to be a problem.  One exception of course would be if the Hermes statue had been ensouled by the previous owner, in which case, to view it as anyone other than Hermes would be offensive to Hermes.  
I totally agree about using standins for Deitys who have no current statuary.  As long as its close enough it should be fine.

Tags: