Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Something Has Been Bothering Me  (Read 1463 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Something Has Been Bothering Me
« on: July 15, 2018, 12:33:31 pm »
The more I've studied the Christianized version of Celtic mythology to discern what it's pagan form would have been like, there's one thing that stood out. In multiple European mythologies, you have myths about wars between the Jotun and Aesir, the Titans and the Olympians, generations or divisions of Deities fighting, then one taking reigns, so how the hell has it not dawned on people that the Fomori vs. the Tuatha in it's original tellings was in essence one such tell? Why does no one bring this up? Especially considering Lugh's agencies and the fact that he is from certain sayings and references more likely a storm/sky God than a sun God. It just seems as if this one simple realization could open up new understandings about the mythology and religion of ancient Celtic tribes and nations.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Something Has Been Bothering Me
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:53:38 am »

The more I've studied the Christianized version of Celtic mythology to discern what it's pagan form would have been like, there's one thing that stood out. In multiple European mythologies, you have myths about wars between the Jotun and Aesir, the Titans and the Olympians, generations or divisions of Deities fighting, then one taking reigns, so how the hell has it not dawned on people that the Fomori vs. the Tuatha in it's original tellings was in essence one such tell? Why does no one bring this up? Especially considering Lugh's agencies and the fact that he is from certain sayings and references more likely a storm/sky God than a sun God. It just seems as if this one simple realization could open up new understandings about the mythology and religion of ancient Celtic tribes and nations.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Are you asking why nobody has suggested that the war between the Fomorians and the Tuatha Dé Danaan was actually a war between different groups of gods?

Because many people have suggested that. Here's a very brief description, which clearly refers to the TDD and the Fomorians as a different group of gods, and specifically equates the Fomorians to the Vanir of Norse myth or the Titans of Greek myth:  the TDD were "gods of skills, as opposed to their enemies the Fomorians, who are more like the Vanir or Titans--more concerned with fertility aspects than with skills."  (http://www.maryjones.us/jce/tuathadedanann.html)

The Celts didn't write much down to start with and, as you noted, the vast majority of the writings they did leave were Christianized over the years. There just isn't much left of any original pagan sources. So, it's not always easy to find exactly what you're looking for. But, in this case, I think the prevailing opinion on who the TDD, the Fomorians, the Fir Bolg, etc, were is that they were different groups of divine beings.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your point?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: