collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Set: "Good" or "Bad"?  (Read 4614 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Set: "Good" or "Bad"?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:02 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;19089
That is in fact why He likes green salad - Egyptian lettuce was known for exuding creamy white stuff, and was thus considered an aphrodesiac for the obvious reasons.

This is why I grow lettuces for Him on a regular basis.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
Quote from: Devo;18999
I would like to add that I more or less agree with what Darkhawk has said about Set. Set likes to push you to your limits, and then push you some more.
-Devo

So true.  By the way, I joined a Facebook group about Set.  Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.facebook.com/groups/119875944747540/
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 06:07:25 pm »
I would like to add that I more or less agree with what Darkhawk has said about Set. Set likes to push you to your limits, and then push you some more.
I would also warn you against reading things on the internet about him. Lots o stuff you turn up from google will be wrong. The best source, IMO on Set is te Velde's book, which you can find on scribd.

-Devo

I'll second this as well.  For me Set's energy and efforts are not ever done in a careless or pointless manner. Just like thunderstorms basically re-balance the atmosphere.  So if there IS a test (Which is not always the case with him I suspect) it will help up balance yourself, and you may or may not like the experience, but you should grow from it.   I also get a strong sense of freedom working with him and to NOT just give in to a higher authority or power unless it is truly necessary.  Even though I do a lot of work with Set, I still do not get the feeling that I should refer to him as my "master" - I just get the sense that is not really what he wants, although respect is something I damn well will give to him all the time.  But that's just my experience, mileage may vary for others.  I consider myself as a person someone that's  rather dominant, but easy going for the most part.

But yes, I do not see him as "evil" in the sense of the word.  More of a "do what you have to do" - I may rock your boat, but it that has a purpose, and you might "think" this will kill you but it probably won't if you do your part.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

chthonic-me

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »
I would like to add that I more or less agree with what Darkhawk has said about Set. Set likes to push you to your limits, and then push you some more. With myself personally, he has stopped only when I truly am to my breaking point (which my definition of breaking point, and his definition don't always line up). And then, the one problem will go away, only to be replaced by new challenges. Usually, when I'm getting frustrated or broken down, he merely tells me to get back up again. That laying there half dead on the floor will not fix it.

I would also warn you against reading things on the internet about him. Lots o stuff you turn up from google will be wrong. The best source, IMO on Set is te Velde's book, which you can find on scribd.

As for offerings, I find he likes salad (even better with a creamy white dressing), and he loves these dark chocolate cupcakes I buy from Fresh n Easy. Many people have had good success with liquor/alcohol with him, but I don't drink, so he doesn't expect it from me.

-Devo

I'm so glad I got a chance to use the internet at work today.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing. Unfortunately my breaking point is pretty low. After the initial experiences, I thought he had stopped. But then I made an offering to him after doing some journey work (during which I found my animal totem) as a bit of a thank you for helping me work out some major problems in my life. Since then he's decided to drop me head first into a bottomless pit of trials and challenges and I'm getting to the point where I'm so emotionally stressed that I can't function on a physical level.

Should I not have encouraged him?

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 10:41:51 pm »
Quote from: chthonic-me;20092
I'm so glad I got a chance to use the internet at work today.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing. Unfortunately my breaking point is pretty low. After the initial experiences, I thought he had stopped. But then I made an offering to him after doing some journey work (during which I found my animal totem) as a bit of a thank you for helping me work out some major problems in my life. Since then he's decided to drop me head first into a bottomless pit of trials and challenges and I'm getting to the point where I'm so emotionally stressed that I can't function on a physical level.

Should I not have encouraged him?

I don't think you made a mistake.  In my experience, a person gets the most personal growth from being pushed/stretched.  That way you'll develop new limits and hopefully be able to endure more.  You may think you cannot function, but I bet you can.  Our limits are generally what our minds define.  If Set is helping you overcome them, I'd say you're doing a good thing.  And when the test is over, you can look back with added confidence by realizing what you endured you also managed to overcome, or at the very least, survive.  This is a HUGE thing to build one's confidence.

I've give Set offerings and sometimes he'll lead me to something I can challenge myself  as well.  The things I've loved most about working with him so far is accepting myself as is, including the parts I'm not so proud of, and to realize the gods very much do exist and can be interacted with.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:42:30 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;20134
I don't think you made a mistake.  In my experience, a person gets the most personal growth from being pushed/stretched.  That way you'll develop new limits and hopefully be able to endure more.  You may think you cannot function, but I bet you can.  Our limits are generally what our minds define.  If Set is helping you overcome them, I'd say you're doing a good thing.  And when the test is over, you can look back with added confidence by realizing what you endured you also managed to overcome, or at the very least, survive.  This is a HUGE thing to build one's confidence.

I've give Set offerings and sometimes he'll lead me to something I can challenge myself  as well.  The things I've loved most about working with him so far is accepting myself as is, including the parts I'm not so proud of, and to realize the gods very much do exist and can be interacted with.

I would mirror this. I don't think you've made an error. In the best case scenario, if you hadn't of more or less 'invited' him to wreck your life, you'd only be delaying the inevitable. Or you'd miss out on a great opportunity in the future because you never took this step.

That, or he would have done it anyways. That's always possible.

I would tell you to take a deep deep breath, and welcome the change. Many times, when I'm in the thick of it, I will sit with him (or another calmer deity) and just sorta vent. Let him know where I'm at, problems I'm having. Things I'm learning. And as said above, you might think you're at your breaking point, but you're probably not. Many times I thought I was there, only to find I still had strength to fight. You're still here :) So you've still got at least a little bit left.

Take things one step at a time. Don't always look at the big picture. The big picture can be overwhelming. Sometimes it's better to just look at what is right here. Right now. Ultimately, though, this is probably for the better.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

chthonic-me

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 06:37:14 pm »
Quote from: Devo;20223

Take things one step at a time. Don't always look at the big picture. The big picture can be overwhelming. Sometimes it's better to just look at what is right here. Right now. Ultimately, though, this is probably for the better.

-Devo

Thanks so much for the advice, you guys. It's gone a long way of helping me form some thoughts on how to approach a relationship with Set. It seems he and Anubis have paired up with their, sort of, Greek counterparts-ish that have influence in my life.

I think this is the start of a wonderfully interesting relationship with Set.

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;19393
I also get a strong sense of freedom working with him and to NOT just give in to a higher authority or power unless it is truly necessary.  Even though I do a lot of work with Set, I still do not get the feeling that I should refer to him as my "master" - I just get the sense that is not really what he wants, although respect is something I damn well will give to him all the time.  But that's just my experience, mileage may vary for others.  I consider myself as a person someone that's  rather dominant, but easy going for the most part.

Some people are dominant by nature, others are more submissive.  A God doesn't relate to all of their followers in the same manner.  It's just like we don't relate to our friends, bosses and lovers in the same way (hopefully not, anyway!).  

Most people on here who use the master/servant analogy for their relationships with the Gods don't talk about losing their freedom.  There's the freedom to choose to be in that sort of relationship, or not.  I personally think any God that would force a follower into being their servant  against their will is not worth worshipping.  In most cases where I hear about people being in that sort of relationship, they're happy to be where they are.  It might not be easy but it is, on some level, good for everybody involved.  

There was a thread about Divine relationships and the rolls Gods play.  I mentioned something about names that the ancients had for themselves.  The idea of "belonging" to a God isn't exactly new.  Obviously, it's not for everybody but it works for a lot of people.

I think many of us who have had unhealthy Christian upbringing shun the idea of being a God's servant.  I was taught to serve YHWH out of fear.  That didn't work for me.  With Ausir, it honestly comes from a place of love.  That might sound cheesy but it's true.
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Tags: